Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Norwalk CT 2009 Exam

Hey just signed up for the Norwalk test. Anyone else out there do the same?

Forum Member

YEAH I DID TO . not that it matters cause i would just love the job. but if you get in what would the hours be 24 hours on and 48 off or is it a difrrent then jersey i also see that they might require some residence
    Last edited by tonyda; 03-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    YEAH I DID TO . not that it matters cause i would just love the job. but if you get in what would the hours be 24 hours on and 48 off or is it a difrrent then jersey i also see that they might require some residence
    I'm not sure, I'm not from CT either. So far it's been kind of tough to find out any info. I've been searching the web so far. I read they will take into positive consideration people from the area, and I read some where else you get 5 residency points. Not sure if either or both are true, but I'd assume one of them is. Only makes sense. Where you getting your written test study prep from?

Forum Member

I work in a municipality close to Norwalk. I believe they work a 10 hour day and 14 hour night. 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 nights on, 3 days off. Again, not completely sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what their schedule is.

Forum Member

Only thing is.. you need to take CT CPAT exam.. which is 4 saturdays during the summer.. plus the actual test...

Forum Member

Do you guys have your CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MiniRide View Post
    Do you guys have your CPAT?
    I signed up for the CPAT theyre administering this summer. The application said you had to complete the CPAT by 8/8 I believe it is. So I guess you could possibly be in the oral interview stage and not have the CPAT completed yet. I just picked up a weighted vest and am gonna start working on the stepmill.

How about you? CPAT? Are you taking the written?
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 04-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I signed up for the CPAT theyre administering this summer. The application said you had to complete the CPAT by 8/8 I believe it is. So I guess you could possibly be in the oral interview stage and not have the CPAT completed yet. I just picked up a weighted vest and am gonna start working on the stepmill.

How about you? CPAT? Are you taking the written?
    I am signing up for both as soon as i get out of work.. What state are you from? Im out of NY and from what i hear the thing that is going to get me is not being a local..

Forum Member

I'm from NYC. I haven't been able to find out what type of preference local guys will be getting (whether it's points on the written or extra consideration during the oral) but I'd assume like any where else it's more difficult for the out of state guys. I'm chompin' at the bit for some info on the written exam, this is going to be my first ff test.

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

i applied and see that the test is june 30 one question i have is how many are they hiring and how many classes do they run a year

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmatt08 View Post
    i applied and see that the test is june 30 one question i have is how many are they hiring and how many classes do they run a year
    I don't have too much info for you since I'm taking the exam too the best I know is they plan on making a list of 50 after all is said and done. I'm not sure if they typically hire all 50, or plan to over the next two years (the life of the list).

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

can anyone else confirm that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmatt08 View Post
    can anyone else confirm that?
    the list of 50 is on this link below, the 2 year life of the list im not sure where i read it but it was out there some where. maybe someone else can confirm that

http://www.norwalkct.org/fire/hire/recruitment.pdf

Forum Member

They are not taking 50 guys.. They are going to interview the top 50 and will probably make a real list of 20-30 guys to hire over the next 2 years is what I was told.

Forum Member

They are not taking 50 guys.. They are going to interview the top 50 and will probably make a real list of 20-30 guys to hire over the next 2 years is what I was told.
    ya id assume like most departments by the time theyre getting to 35-50 on the list they prob would rather re-test for new candidates.

any idea how often they hire off the list?

Forum Member

Hey everyone I am a member of another online forum which is specificly geared for NYC metro area and the word is that they are looking to hire 8 guys off the list and that they excpect 15-20 positions to open due to retirement over the life of the list...but it is uncertian how many of these positions the city will actually fill. I don't know how good this info is, but it is consistant with what i have heard from a couple guys who are on the job in the area. Good luck to everyone taking the test, sadly I am a best man on the day of the test and for some reason he wouldn't change the wedding date, lol.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything? Received an email or letter from Norwalk or had to pay the application fee yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrome12211 View Post
    Hey everyone I am a member of another online forum which is specificly geared for NYC metro area and the word is that they are looking to hire 8 guys off the list and that they excpect 15-20 positions to open due to retirement over the life of the list...but it is uncertian how many of these positions the city will actually fill. I don't know how good this info is, but it is consistant with what i have heard from a couple guys who are on the job in the area. Good luck to everyone taking the test, sadly I am a best man on the day of the test and for some reason he wouldn't change the wedding date, lol.
    those totals are a little lower than i had heard but it's most likely all speculation at this point one way or the other.

Has anyone heard anything? Received an email or letter from Norwalk or had to pay the application fee yet?
    i havent heard, or received anything about the written yet. i sent an email to the contact on the job listing asking about any exam prep sessions or anything like that but have not heard back to date.

anyone going down for the CPAT orientation tomorrow?

Forum Member

I have CPAT orientation on sunday

Forum Member

speak of the devil...just got an email confirming the written test date and time. MY time is 5PM june 30th but i believe there will be more than 1 sitting for the exam.

hit the books!

Forum Member

5pm? Lucky.. Mines at 1.. There is 3 sittings.. 9, 1, 5.. Was hoping for the 5.. They have a lot of people taking this test.. There was only suposed to be 2 sittings.. haha..

Forum Member

How long was orientation today?

Forum Member

How long was orientation today?
    as long as you wanted it to be. after the videos and them showing you each station you can go or stay as long as you want and work with the different stations. it was definitely worth it to see what youre good at, what you need to improve on and just to overall get familiar with the settings. the instructors were really helpful as well. i left at about 245-3

I had my oral interview today. I got a score of 94.96 on the written exam. Does anyone know roughly where that places me on the written exam list?

Forum Member

You are in the top 50 applicants because only the top 50 were given the oral board.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information