Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default District population- no towns

I live in a district which is 100% rural. Being so the census does not have individual data for us because they dont survey this low. Do i just supply an estimate and explain that in the narrative?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, use tax board data, school enrollment, voting registration, or even the post office for a count of residences. Don't want to go too high, but don't want to leave yourself short either.

If you are a taxing body then you can talk to the bean counters and find out how many residents through that manner. Probably someone at the local county assessors office. The other option would be to go to the american fact finder and enter in a zip code if there is a zip code that applies just to your area. The estimate needs to be founded on something factual.

Forum Member

Default Census

The only problems are we share a zip w/ a town of 10K. We contacted the assessor's office and they referred us to the census. We know how many mailboxes there are, but what about the PO boxes. We can't rely upon school enrollment because of a unification that took place. We both give and receive kids from the town school. In the past we have used an estimated number and submitted that. Is this against the rules?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if it will help or not, but try the town clerk. Here the town clerk conducts an annual census to update the population.

Forum Member

Alright- We do not cover a town.

We are a sort of area. nothing for statistical purposes. The biggest landmark of the area is our fire station and a small k-8 school.

I need alternative sources or if it is ok to provide an estimate and state that in the narrative.

Thank you for all of your help!!!

Forum Member

go to the us census website....find your county and you can get population counts from the townships for your county or the census tract information for your area....my fire district doesn't have a town or city but has a population of 15,000 and we are classified suburban....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Population is an estimate no matter what, but if you can make an educated guess it won't make a difference. If your population is that small won't mean much to be off a little anyway, not much difference in the grand scheme of things from 500-750 people. They just don't want to see an added 0 on there as part of the guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you are very very lucky you pay taxes to some gov't entity and have an elected governing body. They have some data on the population in your rural area. Even Oregon isn't going to forget about taxing it's citizens.

In Iowa we call it a township. Rural area not in an incorporated town/city. Has a 3 man board that meets about twice a year to pass a budget and set tax rate for next fiscal year. This consists of $ for fire protection, operating the township cemetary etc.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We also do not cover a town, only a rural area. Check with your county authorities, they are bound to have your area identified by some means. In our parish (county to you), we can identify our area by specific voting wards that are contained in it. There must be some sort of similar system in your area. The number may not be exact (people have an annoying tendency to move, be born, die, etc. ) but they should be able to give you a general idea if you tell them where your service area boundaries area.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Seeing as you are already a district, your county assessor or county clerk will be able to give you some pretty accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by drakescrossing View Post
    Alright- We do not cover a town.

We are a sort of area. nothing for statistical purposes. The biggest landmark of the area is our fire station and a small k-8 school.

I need alternative sources or if it is ok to provide an estimate and state that in the narrative.

Thank you for all of your help!!!
    Give me a call on Monday at 800-992-0272 Ext 3111 and I will get you what you need or get you to a source to find what you need buddy.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

thank you kurt!

Thread Information