Thread: NIFRS counts

Forum Member

Default NIFRS counts

Are there any tricks to determining run volumes from nifrs. How do you count a mva with extrication if there was a patient transported. Is it an ALS transport, mva, extrication, or one of each. This is an area that I think needs some definitions. Just opeining a can of worms to generate some discussion...

Thanks

Bryan

Forum Member

Each call gets counted only once in the application. If it was a crash into a house which caught the house on fire, you pick one. (Structure, MVA, etc.)

Forum Member

would there be a benefit to counting then all mva's as a fire response rather than a ems call to help with yout cost/benifit to replace an engine which responds as fire suppresson. Does EMS call have any effect on your application for fire equiptment

Forum Member

If you provide a Fire response for that type of incident, I would definately consider reporting it under "Vehicle Accidents w/o Extrication" and leave your medical emergency responses to score under the "EMS-BLS Response Calls" and "EMS-ALS Response Calls."

Forum Member

if a mva got put into NIFRS as an ems response and you change it to an mva w/o extrication for the grant application, will that cause an issue with the computer scoring or peer review since your showing different numbers on the application then NIFRS is showing.

Forum Member

nfirs doesnt track ems ALS/BLS related calls, counting an ems call as a mva wouldn't be a problem for your application as long as you make the change on your nifrs entry for that call. i beleive when you upload nifrs then the next time you would just include that change date in the download to nifrs and the new data would overwrite the old on their end.

Here comes the disclaimer.. I think that is how it works..

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Here a crazy example from NY NFIRS

Quote Originally Posted by hoserbt View Post
    Are there any tricks to determining run volumes from nifrs. How do you count a mva with extrication if there was a patient transported. Is it an ALS transport, mva, extrication, or one of each. This is an area that I think needs some definitions. Just opeining a can of worms to generate some discussion...

Thanks

Bryan
    My fire dept. has an advanced life support first response unit as there is no ambulance in our town. We fill out an NFIRS report for each of our EMS responses as they total about 75% of our calls. We can run as many as 100 mutual aid ALS calls to transporting ambulances that are only BLS. These go under "Mutual Aid" & "Good intent calls" in NFIRS, as the patient was transported by a non fire dept agency. I'm not sure if these "Good intent" calls roll-up in AFG under fire response or not, I can only hope so? A lot of other fire dept's here in NY have ambulances that run EMS only calls. Some report them in NFIRS, some don't as they already file PCR's with dept. of health.
    Last edited by Fighting41NY; 03-22-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Forum Member

I was told by our nifrs person that they don't track ems calls, so I usually try and document it as much as a fire, extrication, service call, or assist whenever I have a fire appartus onscene.

Forum Member

I would think that the application question about mutual aid would include ems call when tallying numbers. I havent run the numbers this year yet but that is the project for this week.

Thread Information