Thread: Regional ?

Forum Member

Default Regional ?

Questions for the gurus-

I was interested in doing a regional application this year for a shared radio repeater. To be shared with our local ski patrol. The Repeater would be mounted on their hill for shared use and crossbanding. i.e. interoperability. The ski patrol area is wholly within our district, they are a registered not for profit. Can this be regional? Or would I need to involve more fire departments to meet the multipal seats of government part?
    Also I know this has been talked about before but I can't seem to find it:
    AFG doesn't pay for buildings; but does a skid mounted repeater "shack" count as a building? If I can't do a shack can we put it in a trailer? How about the tower (or pole)? It won't need much hieght; its already the highest point in several counties.
    Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 99mtk35 View Post
    ...for shared use and crossbanding. i.e. interoperability.
    Can you elaborate on what that is supposed to mean. Doesn't make much sense.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You'd need to involve FDs from the entire area; ski patrols aren't eligible AFG applicants or participants. If it gets awarded and they just so happen to be able to use it then such is the way of the world.

The only repeaters allowed are either tower or vehicle mounted. Won't pay for any towers, buildings (mobile or otherwise).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Can you elaborate on what that is supposed to mean. Doesn't make much sense.
    They are UHF we are VHF.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional

BC - I am looking at a regional communications submittal - two townships - one has 9 districts/companies and the second has two districts/companies. We provided mutual aid to each other - in fact are listed as RIT's for each other but do not have compatible comm gear. We would also work in FA squads and other agencies.

2 Q's - 1) can we submit a regional request if there is a township in bewteen us that has a paid dept? and 2) can we ask for a portable for each seat but pagers for all FF's?

all equipt would meet new standards.....

I know guidance isnt out yet but any input appreciated

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If the paid dept has the radios you want to move to then that's why they're not in the application, shouldn't be any questions about that if explained that way. Otherwise if they don't then they should be part of it.

Portables are still 1 per seat, pagers still for each FF.

Forum Member

Let me make sure I'm understanding this right. You want to put up a UHF repeater on this hill and in order make it "regional", you are going to cross-band the VHF ski patrol into it who is already on another totally separate VHF repeater?

No, thats going to fly for a grant. Seriously, trying to "cheat" your way in by making totally useless connections like that is only going to waste their time and everyone else's time who spends the time to make real plans. If you want a regional communications system, you will need to actually do some legwork and do that. Hot wiring in the ski patrol isn't going to cut it.

Forum Member

It seems to me that a ski patrol's rescue unit could possibly be made eligible, couldn't it? Hospitals, local law enforcement and others who are normally not eligible to apply can still have their radio needs addressed within the 'achieving interoperability' aspect of the application, or so I thought.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They can benefit from the FD making the improvements, but they couldn't get radios or retain possession of the tower.

Sole exceptions I've seen are base station for the ER to talk to the buses in the field, something at an EOC location, that sort of thing. If the LE handles dispatch then the app can upgrade the entire thing if needed, and if that means that LE can be a part of it and benefit that's fine. Can't buy LE radios, but they can benefit from the towers and system being in place after buying their own.

Forum Member

nmfire-
    You don't have agree with my idea; and the answer maybe no. However you calling me a "cheat" is HIGHLY offensive. Further for you to state that I am trying to "useless connections like that is only going to waste their time and everyone else's time who spends the time to make real plans. If you want a regional communications system, you will need to actually do some legwork and do that. Hot wiring in the ski patrol isn't going to cut it." How dare you make these baseless assumtions about my propsal and the amount of effort I have personnally put into it! You know little about my idea and nothing about the situation. We run a large amount of calls with the ski patrol, and can't talk to them. This is an issue. There are dead spots on the back side of the mountain where current repeater doesn't reach, and neither does ski patrols. I thought this might be a viable way to solve all these issues. I was thinking about excatly what BC79er is saying in the post directly above. I apprciate the assistance I get here but you are WAY off the mark here nmfire.
    Last edited by 99mtk35; 03-20-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Member

I think your might be slightly over-estimating the amount of time and effort put in to your idea compared to an actual real multi-agency regional communication system. I know what it takes to do what you want to do. I've done it here, albeit not for the ski patrol. I'm also not denying that it is a good idea for your department. I'm a big fan of doing what works for you, not what some idiot in Washington thinks is right for you.

You may not like what I have to say but unfortunately it is still the truth. What you describe is not regional. It is "multi-agency" so to speak but when both of those agencies are in the same town, it kinda negates the "regional" aspect of this concept. Also, cross-banding like that is contrary to the accepted best practice of getting everyone local to be on the same band. This is another hit against you in making a grant out of this.

Perhaps your intention is not to sneak the "regional" buzzword into it and you're just misunderstanding the concept of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default radios

BC - thanks ! will let you know how we do

Thread Information