Forum Member

Default Explorer Pride: Wheres the Line

I'm new to exploring. Where I'm from, it's in our SOP that we cannot wear any part of our uniform outside of an official function. Also, we're not members of our IAFF local.

Quite a few of the explorers have their facebook profiles plastered with FF: pictures of them in their uniforms outside of function (at home, with friends in neighborhood, at parties) and Firefighter listed as their job. Not only that, but quite a few also have "firefighter" spewed all over their cars.

I could easily be guilty as well, but I am too shameful. For instance, I almost purchased a front license plate for my truck. However, I am trying to stay within my boundaries; I do not wish to upset anyone, and want to maintain respect for professionals within my department.

So, when do you reserve your pride? Am I being over sensitive?

Forum Member

If your not supposed to wear your uniform out of the station ( i assume this means not only your turnout but station wear too?) then dont. I Think that getting a license plate/ bumper tag is ok. Its ok to have pride in your job, the key is not to overdo it. Dont go out and buy a million stickers with firefighting phrases, or put a thousand lights on your car. The main reason that people around here would put on the license plate tags are because if some respond from home or are coming from work when calls go out and they dont always get to the scene untill a few mins after the engines so while they are driving its nice to be able to let other motorists know who are in front of you why you might have your 4 ways on. I personally have nothing on my car since i live less than 1 mile from the station.

Forum Member

The way our SOP document is written, we cannot even wear issued t-shirts while not performing explorer duties.

Any other opinions?
    Last edited by RyanTurner; 03-20-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Forum Member

Our explorers do not have "uniforms" or a specific dress required while at the station. The only uniforms in my department are Class A full dress for the regular adult FF's. So that little bit doesn't apply to us. I think the others breaking the rule are asking for it eventually.

What we do have are t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets, etc. These are are all casual items that people pay for with their own money specifically to wear whenever they want. Our explorers can buy them like anyone else. They can be worn anywhere you want. They wear them at school (represent yo!), around town, etc etc. Again, this is not any kind of "uniform".

We issue the little license plate placard things to everyone including explorers. You can get DMV issued special interest vanity plates too. Stickers and decals are personal preference but are not very popular. Way too sparky.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

do not affiliate yourself with any department. you have LIABILITY in big print all over you. sure you can say whatever you want, it just makes you and your department look bad. Do you see FF's doing any of this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Our explorers do not have "uniforms" or a specific dress required while at the station. The only uniforms in my department are Class A full dress for the regular adult FF's. So that little bit doesn't apply to us. I think the others breaking the rule are asking for it eventually.

We issue the little license plate placard things to everyone including explorers. You can get DMV issued special interest vanity plates too. Stickers and decals are personal preference but are not very popular. Way too sparky.
    Are you saying your firefighters must wear class A's while on duty?

OP: Don't break the SOPs. It is really just that simple.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

TNFF319: I'm with the County, and we explorers have to wear Class B's.

So far 2 votes ye, 1 vote ne for the license plate. Anybody else?
    Last edited by RyanTurner; 03-21-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Are you saying your firefighters must wear class A's while on duty?
    Nope. Only for special events like anywhere else. And we're volunteer so there is no "on-duty" anyway.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Wow. You all have some strict rules.
    As far as the uniform goes, we are given it to take home and wear it at formal advents. Here's a pic .

https://www.myfirecompanies.com/news...n=&w=800&h=533

Were allowed to wear any FD clothing (jackets, hats, bennies, t-shirts etc)...
    at any time. But they have to remember that they are representing the FD when they wear these clothes. They can also put stickers, plates, whatever on there car as well. BTW, there Jrs.

Forum Member

I dont see any problems with license plate. it shows you have pride in your job. Just dont be the guy with lights everywhere, and stickers and everything else who drives around town with them on to show how cool he is. Like i said most times we have members showing up in POV's and if the police have the roads already blocked it lets them know who you are so you can get in.

Forum Member

License Plates are good. I don't know how it is in Fire Exploring, but in LE Exploring if my Post Instructor found out ANY Explorer had ES related lights on his PMV, the Explorer would be immediately terminated. Like I said, maybe there's a possible need for it in Fire Exploring, but LE Exploring is for learning purposes not being a Cop..
    Albuquerque Police Explorer.

In process of joining Bernalillo County Fire Explorers.

Future Albuquerque Fire Department hopeful..

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTurner View Post
    I'm new to exploring. Where I'm from, it's in our SOP that we cannot wear any part of our uniform outside of an official function. Also, we're not members of our IAFF local.

Quite a few of the explorers have their facebook profiles plastered with FF: pictures of them in their uniforms outside of function (at home, with friends in neighborhood, at parties) and Firefighter listed as their job. Not only that, but quite a few also have "firefighter" spewed all over their cars.

I could easily be guilty as well, but I am too shameful. For instance, I almost purchased a front license plate for my truck. However, I am trying to stay within my boundaries; I do not wish to upset anyone, and want to maintain respect for professionals within my department.

If it's the policy or SOG of your post or department then you should follow it. Any questions can be directed to your immediate superior for clarification.

Don't focus on the others who violate this policy. Focus on yourself and show your pride by doing a damn good job, working hard, and proving that you are a reliable firefighter ( ok, future firefighter ) Hard work first, glory later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureAFDff View Post
    Like I said, maybe there's a possible need for it in Fire Exploring, but LE Exploring is for learning purposes not being a Cop..
    Nope, no need for any explorer to have lights.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    There is no need to start this arguement...
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Exactly my point
    Albuquerque Police Explorer.

In process of joining Bernalillo County Fire Explorers.

Future Albuquerque Fire Department hopeful..

Forum Member

does that include T-shirts??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEmtGuyFD View Post
    Wow. You all have some strict rules.
    As far as the uniform goes, we are given it to take home and wear it at formal advents. Here's a pic .

https://www.myfirecompanies.com/news...n=&w=800&h=533

Were allowed to wear any FD clothing (jackets, hats, bennies, t-shirts etc)...
    at any time. But they have to remember that they are representing the FD when they wear these clothes. They can also put stickers, plates, whatever on there car as well. BTW, there Jrs.

Where observe the same rules. We wear what we wont to, but the second you step outside of the fire house in a piece of clothing that represents the fire service, you MUST be on your best behavior.

I like milk...

When I was an explorer I wanted to take my gear to school and wear it for career day. So yah when I joined I wanted to flaunt the fact that I had "some" connection to being a firefighter. As I got older (about a month after) I realized that this is a profession where not the individual is looked at upon but the entire department by the simple fact that a shirt say X Fire department. Even if it says X Fire Department Explorer it still says X Fire Department. Our SOP's said that we could only wear our uniform for FD events that we helped with and at explorer meeting. So yes sometimes I would stop at the grocery store on the way home after a meeting but that was all.

In my later years as an explorer and now that I am a FF I have a very strong sense of pride in the work that I do. I also don't like to show off that I am a firefighter. When I meet someone it rarely comes up as something I talk about right away. I don't do what I do for the recognition of people around me but for personal gratification.

(end ramble/rant/getting sidetracked)

All in all don't be stupid and risk degrading your department for accidentally (or intentionally) doing something stupid while wearing a department t-shirt or something. I know if you wear that gear regularly long enough you will do something stupid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    Do you see FF's doing any of this?
    Every day in the morning when I look in the mirror on my way out while wearing my fire department hat.

I see no problem showing pride in your department, wearing apparel is one way of doing that. Just keep in your mind that you ARE representing your department.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

When you joined the SCFD Explorers, you signed an agreement that you would abide by the rules set forth and was probably given a set of SOP's or SOG's to read, learn and abibe by.

""DFDMAXX said that any questions can be directed to your immediate superior for clarification.""

Most fire departments, including my department, do not allow their career members to wear any part of their uniform off duty or to the river or beach. This means not hanging out at the local pizza place or burger doodle with the uniform on impressing the chicks.

I am not sure that the TN DMV would permit an exlporer to have a special license plate indicating that they were firefighters, which you are not.

Explorers can do anything on the fire scene where I am except after the fire is out, maybe help get hoseline up.

As far as some one else said about lights for your POV, not in too many states is this allow, if any.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information