Forum Member

Default Pro Board HazMat ops

Maybe someone can shed some light on this...

In PA, if you have completed training in any of the Haz Mat levels, and posses a "Training Certificate", (particularly OPS) from the PA state fire academy, you are required to complete an annual refresher for the level you are practicing.

My questoin is, If you then complete Certification, PRO Board, IFSAC, or both; do you need to continue getting the annual refreshers or can you get by if you document annual deomonstration of the competencies for the level you are certified? I believe this is the way its worded by OSHA CFR something or other. Anyone know for sure?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    Maybe someone can shed some light on this...

In PA, if you have completed training in any of the Haz Mat levels, and posses a "Training Certificate", (particularly OPS) from the PA state fire academy, you are required to complete an annual refresher for the level you are practicing.

My questoin is, If you then complete Certification, PRO Board, IFSAC, or both; do you need to continue getting the annual refreshers or can you get by if you document annual deomonstration of the competencies for the level you are certified? I believe this is the way its worded by OSHA CFR something or other. Anyone know for sure?
    Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.120 is probably what your thinking. How Pro board or IFSAC applies I do not know. Usually, HAZMAT is taught at the Responder Level (the fire service anyway) and does need to have 8 hours of refresher per year per OSHA. What the other certifications cover and if they will apply I don't know w/o actually looking at the syllabis. I do know the 8 hour can be done in segments (so say you have a drill that's two hours long just keep the records) so the statement "document annual deomonstration of the competencies for the level you are certified" would most likley fall under this part of the standard.

This may or may not answer your question but in my opinion, as an instructor, is it that if the refreshers satisfy both certifications, it will work. OSHA gives alot of latitude on interpeting the standard and how it applies to the job since it's trying to cover alot of different industry. I do know that the refresher certificate (or department records) needs to specifically state it is a refresher for CFR 1910.120 whatever level you've refreshed for in order to apply as a refresher for the OSHA level.

Be safe, R2

Forum Member

I appreciate your reply, thanks.

If it makes any sense; the reason this came about was in the process of completing the application for Pro Board F.O. II, the Haz Mat requirement lists 4 options that meet the minimum, follow this link to the application and let me know what you think.

http://www.osfc.state.pa.us/osfc/lib...nuary_2005.pdf

Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    I appreciate your reply, thanks.

If it makes any sense; the reason this came about was in the process of completing the application for Pro Board F.O. II, the Haz Mat requirement lists 4 options that meet the minimum, follow this link to the application and let me know what you think.

http://www.osfc.state.pa.us/osfc/lib...nuary_2005.pdf

Thanks again.
    Why don't you call the commissioner's office? They have a toll-free number listed on the website. They'll know more that someone from Texas (no offense robertr2m).

If you're in southeast PA call the closest training site, Montco, Bucks or Delco, to ask them.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

The fourth option on the application:

"The candidate meets the competencies of 29 CFR 1910.120/40 CFR 311 and is certified to the Awareness level or higher" references the OSHA standard I was thinking.

My opinion is that an annual refresher should cover both recquirements and, if you have already taken the class for the Awareness Level or higher, the certification should apply to this requirement. As long as the subsequent refresher courses are the same then they should continue to cover both the PRO and OSHA recquirements for that HAZMAT level.

And I agree 110% with Dragonfyre (no offense taken, a very good point) that to make sure your ducks are in a row, call the source and make sure. The way I read it, it will but it's certainly better to ask the guys who are actually recquiring it

Be safe and best of luck!
    R2

Forum Member

Thanks to both of you for your advise.

The State Fire Commissioner's office defers to the ProBoard, who defers to the Fire Commissioner's office, who says that they can't answer the question.

The local level, at which I am an instructor, says that in no way, shape, or form, can a local government become the authority on how the certification is maintenanced. It is the requirement of the Certifying agency to determine what, if any, con-ed is required.

Which goes back to the tail wagging the dog, while the dog is trying to bite it off.

I don't take any offense to the comment about calling the state or county fire academy, but I assure you, I would not have asked the question if it was that easy to get an answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

10-4 on the runaround between agencies... been there and done that

I've thought this over a little and did some googling and this is my opinion...

1) Is actually on the application that the CFR would satisfy the recquirement.

Therefore...

2) The requirements to achieve the HAZMAT certification must continue to be satisfied.

So logically...

3) An 8 hour refresher per year, either incrementally or in a block will be required to keep the CFR thus satisfying the application/job requirement.

I typed it this way cause I was confusing myself trying to type it out LOL.

Be safe, R2

Thread Information