Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default Prince William County 2009

    Is any else on here taking the written exam next week? Any one have any idea what the test entails? What kind of stuff it asks, style, how long etc.? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickytonk View Post
    Is any else on here taking the written exam next week? Any one have any idea what the test entails? What kind of stuff it asks, style, how long etc.? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Its a CWH test. Pretty basic stuff. Takes about 2 hours and if you pass you will take CPAT, then polygraph, then medical evaluation and that should be it.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default ...

    CWH test? I have been out of the loop for a while... is that the same thing as the Henrico test?

    Also, you're taking the PWF test too I reckon?

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickytonk View Post
    CWH test? I have been out of the loop for a while... is that the same thing as the Henrico test?

    Also, you're taking the PWF test too I reckon?
    Yep same test as Henrico...I'm not taking PWC test.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  5. #5
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Prince William County administers the CWH (first edition) test. Applicants who have taken this exact test within one year are not eligible to retake the test. If you took the CWH test, you will need to notify them that your previous test score is on record with CWH so that we can obtain your score. You can contact them at 703-792-6800 if you have any questions, or arenít sure whether youíve taken this CWH test.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Prince William County administers the CWH (first edition) test. Applicants who have taken this exact test within one year are not eligible to retake the test. If you took the CWH test, you will need to notify them that your previous test score is on record with CWH so that we can obtain your score. You can contact them at 703-792-6800 if you have any questions, or arenít sure whether youíve taken this CWH test.
    Not 100% true. Some departments will allow you to retest again. However I believe PWC won't.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  7. #7
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Not 100% true. Some departments will allow you to retest again. However I believe PWC won't.
    I know it's true I pulled that right off there site...

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Slaytallica45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Belle Mead, NJ
    Posts
    282

    Default

    was planning on taking this test, I called to register for it on monday morning and they said the test was full and I'll have to try for the June test...does anyone know how many they usually take per test? I only got the letter notifying me of the exam last week
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    I know it's true I pulled that right off there site...
    Well I took the test with PWC and Henrico allowed me to take it again within the year. I even asked them if I had to use old results and they said it didn't matter. PWC won't let you do that though.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  10. #10
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Well I took the test with PWC and Henrico allowed me to take it again within the year. I even asked them if I had to use old results and they said it didn't matter. PWC won't let you do that though.

    Grrr!!! What i'am saying is I TOOK IT RIGHT FROM PWC's WEBSITE. Meaning that it ONLY pertains to PWC and this is a PWC thread right ? Thats all im saying!!

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    the test is not hard....I pass the test last JULY...they don't give you your results.....they just mail you a card saying you pass....

    I miss the CPAT for PWC last August due to family issues....I currently live in Brooklyn NYC.....

    I called PWC a month ago and they told me I won't have to retest....and that I will be able to take the CPAT this August....

    I'm very excited...

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Don Mcnea Study Guides are amazing....

    I have passed every FF test using their study guides.....

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    the test is not hard....I pass the test last JULY...they don't give you your results.....they just mail you a card saying you pass....

    I miss the CPAT for PWC last August due to family issues....I currently live in Brooklyn NYC.....

    I called PWC a month ago and they told me I won't have to retest....and that I will be able to take the CPAT this August....

    I'm very excited...
    I am scheduled to take the exam next tuesday. That's odd that they don't give you your exam score. Do they give you what rank you are? Out of all the departments I have looked into it seems like PWC was the only one that did not cancel a recruit class - correct me if im wrong

    Good luck to all who will be testing.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick82907 View Post
    I am scheduled to take the exam next tuesday. That's odd that they don't give you your exam score. Do they give you what rank you are? Out of all the departments I have looked into it seems like PWC was the only one that did not cancel a recruit class - correct me if im wrong

    Good luck to all who will be testing.
    They sent me my scores in a letter. No ranking though.
    PWC has been having regular classes. I volly for the county and right now things between vollys and career are a little bit on the rough side due to chief mcgee. Everything (stations, apparatus, etc) is owned by the volunteers and due to the situations that occured throughout the past few months in the county, the chief wants total control over volunteers and career. As a result, many of the volunteer chiefs aren't happy and there is talk of the volunteers closing doors to the career guys but that's a long ways from happening.

    As far as I know they are still talking of hiring but I haven't been paying very close attention to specifics since I'm not interested in a job with PWC.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    They sent me my scores in a letter. No ranking though.
    PWC has been having regular classes. I volly for the county and right now things between vollys and career are a little bit on the rough side due to chief mcgee. Everything (stations, apparatus, etc) is owned by the volunteers and due to the situations that occured throughout the past few months in the county, the chief wants total control over volunteers and career. As a result, many of the volunteer chiefs aren't happy and there is talk of the volunteers closing doors to the career guys but that's a long ways from happening.

    As far as I know they are still talking of hiring but I haven't been paying very close attention to specifics since I'm not interested in a job with PWC.
    why aren't you interested in PWC?

    and yeah they don't even give you a ranking...they just say you pass and you move on....

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default ...

    Talked to a recruiter today. They won't let me retake the test, but they are going to honor the score I got when I took the exact same test in Henrico County, Va. So, it saves me a trip... but I know I can do better on the test. Kind of bummed, but still happy to be in the process.

    Anyone have any idea the average written score for the people they hire? Kind of a far off question, but... just curious.

    Good luck to everyone.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickytonk View Post
    Talked to a recruiter today. They won't let me retake the test, but they are going to honor the score I got when I took the exact same test in Henrico County, Va. So, it saves me a trip... but I know I can do better on the test. Kind of bummed, but still happy to be in the process.

    Anyone have any idea the average written score for the people they hire? Kind of a far off question, but... just curious.

    Good luck to everyone.
    I had an 88 when I took it and got moved through the process. I definitely did better my second time by about 4 points with Henrico. I'm not interested in PWC just because of the shifts they work and I really don't like Chief McGee. Pay is good but I don't like the 12 hour shifts 4 days a week. One nice thing is, no weekends or holidays, only downside to that is there's no holiday pay...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  18. #18
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    I had an 88 when I took it and got moved through the process. I definitely did better my second time by about 4 points with Henrico. I'm not interested in PWC just because of the shifts they work and I really don't like Chief McGee. Pay is good but I don't like the 12 hour shifts 4 days a week. One nice thing is, no weekends or holidays, only downside to that is there's no holiday pay...
    taking this from the PWC site:
    Our 48-hour workweek consists of two shifts:

    1. Monday - Friday; 12-hour workdays (6 a.m. - 6 p.m.); with a rotating day off (i.e. work four days per week). No evenings, weekends or holidays.

    2. 24-hours on/48-hours off for designated apparatus; start at 6 a.m.

    So how many stations run the 24/48 ?

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    I had an 88 when I took it and got moved through the process. I definitely did better my second time by about 4 points with Henrico. I'm not interested in PWC just because of the shifts they work and I really don't like Chief McGee. Pay is good but I don't like the 12 hour shifts 4 days a week. One nice thing is, no weekends or holidays, only downside to that is there's no holiday pay...
    ???...

    how does that work....?

    who works on holidays and weekends?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    ???...

    how does that work....?

    who works on holidays and weekends?
    volunteers run weekends and holidays. i think only a couple run the 24/48. mostly just medics and a couple of engines
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    volunteers run weekends and holidays. i think only a couple run the 24/48. mostly just medics and a couple of engines
    check your PM's

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    volunteers run weekends and holidays. i think only a couple run the 24/48. mostly just medics and a couple of engines
    How do you get assigned to an engine that runs the 24/48 option? Do you rotate houses after recruit school or do you pick a house based on an order of merit list?

    I am not too familiar with a combination department. Does this mean that the option for OT is not really there due to the amount of volunteers?

    Thanks for all of your help.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick82907 View Post
    How do you get assigned to an engine that runs the 24/48 option? Do you rotate houses after recruit school or do you pick a house based on an order of merit list?

    I am not too familiar with a combination department. Does this mean that the option for OT is not really there due to the amount of volunteers?

    Thanks for all of your help.
    I'm not sure how assignments work. You don't rotate as far as I know. I would guess you choose your top couple of picks and they assign you based off of that. I highly doubt there is much OT at all...maybe only if you work the 5th day of the week so at most you can work 60 hrs per week but most guys don't give up their shifts since there aren't many more to choose from my understanding.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    There are currently 7 24hr. engines and 1 24hr. rescue in the county. All of the medic units except for 2 are also 24hr.

  25. #25
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engine2kfd View Post
    There are currently 7 24hr. engines and 1 24hr. rescue in the county. All of the medic units except for 2 are also 24hr.
    Where are they ? And would it be hard for a probie to get on after the academy ?

    Rob

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Prince William County
    By AFVeteran in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
  2. Prince William County, Va.
    By MG3610 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  3. Prince William County
    By smoke208 in forum Virginia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM
  4. LODD in Prince William County, VA
    By DCFIRE325 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register