Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radios

Default Radios

One of the departments in our county has asked me to help them with a grant for new mobile and portable radios. Our county is moving from low band to UHF. This department does not have the money to purchase all new radio equipment. Any ideas or suggestions from the group?

All of the other departments have gotten or have secured funding for their radios.

They tried last year and received a late DJ. So I guess the question is, Do I stand a chance here and if so, what extra tid bit do I need to push this over the top?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

Chief,

Remember that Communications applications have to go through Technical Review at PA's Homeland Security office and must follow the State's communications plan, which is (unfortunately) 800MHz. Not sure if this is a roadblock for them.

When you say they got a late DJ, how late and what did the notice state as deficits in their narrative? or areas lacking convincing arguments
    What type & how much radio equipment are they looking for?
    Why have all the other depts been able to find funding but not them?
    What are the cost /benefit ratio numbers from their app.?

Answer to these questions will help us understand where their app might be improved upon.
    If it was a truly late DJ then maybe they were just a little bit short in the scoring count and just need a little tweak of the C/B ratio to make it a winner. Can they raise the 5% share to 10%? Might be just enough to make a difference in the scoring.

The guidelines allow 1 portable per seated position and one mobile per apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dusty,

Just wanted to say "hi" Take care

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post
    One of the departments in our county has asked me to help them with a grant for new mobile and portable radios. Our county is moving from low band to UHF. This department does not have the money to purchase all new radio equipment. Any ideas or suggestions from the group?

All of the other departments have gotten or have secured funding for their radios.

They tried last year and received a late DJ. So I guess the question is, Do I stand a chance here and if so, what extra tid bit do I need to push this over the top?

Thanks,

Dusty

Dusty call me Monday and I can get you on this right. I have some good samples for you.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Chief,

Remember that Communications applications have to go through Technical Review at PA's Homeland Security office and must follow the State's communications plan, which is (unfortunately) 800MHz. Not sure if this is a roadblock for them.
    When does it have to go thru the State's review, prior to application submittal? I'm in a state of flux(no pun intented), our county has funding to move towards P25 radios and get us away from lowband, but only enough monies for the infrastructure. Can I do a regional grant to purchase mobiles and portables? Then what about pagers?

In the state of flux in the State of NY.

Forum Member

As I understand it, each state is responsible to send a representative to AFG and ascertain whether regional interoperability requests received will have the ability to comply within their state's own plan.

Ideally it would be best to get pre-approval of your radio interoperability requests and plan, but at very least get an email off to the state personnel in charge of this and notify them of your intent to apply for a regional interoperable communications grant.

Quote Originally Posted by HDFireball1 View Post
    When does it have to go thru the State's review, prior to application submittal? I'm in a state of flux(no pun intented), our county has funding to move towards P25 radios and get us away from lowband, but only enough monies for the infrastructure. Can I do a regional grant to purchase mobiles and portables? Then what about pagers?

It will be reviewed after peer and before AFG does final technical review. It is a great idea to call your state homeland security director's offcie and ask to speak with whmever is on charge of the State Interoperable Communciations Plan and run your program by them beofre submitting. No last monute surprises fomr them after you already did all the work. Remember a "regional project" must benefit multiple seats of government. Pagers for everyone is fine, your portables and mobiles will be limited to 1 per apparatus for mobiles and 1 portable per seated position.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by HDFireball1 View Post

NY is unfortunately in a state of flux. The statewide wireless network
    SWN is on hold, and may not happen. (at least in its present form, or time frame)

The good thing - the state never required that you bought equipment for SWN in order to pass technical review. NY does however have some requirements, and your best source for those is with your department of homeland security.

I got to ask, what prompted the move from Low Band? A number of places have been told they will have to replace all their low band equipment when narrowbanding takes effect, which is absolutely incorrect. (at least one county in PA sure changed their radio dealers line when the found that out from an outside source)

Forum Member

The County is making the move from low to high band to increase the reception, more or less in areas where reception is not exsistent.

We've talked to NYS, and every time we get a different answer. So I don't know which way to go or who to believe. I can't find anything in writing especially on the internet related to NYS requirements. Refferals from the state to the feds and the feds to the state have my head spinning, If I could I'd probably take a stab at the grant and may still anyways but I'm looking for the right answers. We have many FDs that would participate along with some county level teams.

Still searching...............

HDFireball1, drop me an email. I should be able to send you some stuff that you will find helpful on the technical side.

bbowers@mozarks.com

Talking persistence pays off

It would seem to me that a state as large and diversified as NY would have several different communications plans in place. What will work for NYC and long island certainly will not work for rural northern NY.
    Start with your county EMA office and see if they have a communications plan for your area. When I was looking for info, thats where I started and found a chief master sergeant with the state air guard comm unit that was very knowledgeable and had written the outline for the statewide plan. From there I contacted the State Emergency management office and was put in touch with a fellow that would have to approve any radio funding grants involving federal dollars. I did all this legwork before submitting our grant app and priced our needs according to meeting the requirements of "the plan" . When it came to AFG technical review they sent our app to the state EMA office for approval before awarding us the grant. He signed off on it immediately as he had a copy of the app in his files.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post

Thanks,

Dusty
    It just clicked where you probably are - and I know a radio vendor just south of you that has been telling people that the low band can no longer be used per the FCC due to narrowbanding. It is NOT the case. The same radio vendor suddenly offered to greatly reduce the cost of his alphanumeric paging after a little birdie showed that county how cheaply they could put in their own system.

Thats not to say that going to new radios and a new band might not be a good idea, just beware of unscrupulous vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    It would seem to me that a state as large and diversified as NY would have several different communications plans in place. What will work for NYC and long island certainly will not work for rural northern NY.
    One would think. But people who get paid far more than me in many areas have decided just that - a one size fits all communications system will solve the needs and desires of everyone in their state.

Sort of like a western state, most of the state sparsely populated, lots of mountains and forests, yet they went to an 800 Mhz system statewide. Not
    the best for coverage versus costs.

Thread Information