Forum Member

Default Basic Aircraft Rescue Firefighting (ARFF) certification question

I've seen a couple airport fire opportunities that call for Basic Aircraft Rescue Firefighting (ARFF) certification. How do you get that type of certification and where? I'm thinking that training would be recieve when enlisted in the military? Anyone know? Thanks

Forum Member

Default ARFF Question

I hate to push you out of WI., and don't know where you live, but find the website for Lake Superior College in Duluth, I beleive they have a program which if pretty good. You can also get certification in Minnesota by working through their certification board, www.mfscb.org. If you have already had your coursework you can just go to a test site and take the test.

Forum Member

breech, I would call the refueling group out of mitchel field in milwaukee or fort mccoy, or volk field and ask them that question. I beleive that many of the volunteer departments around some of those military installations receive that training and it might be a good place to start.

Where are you located..

double post
    Last edited by formerordie; 12-06-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    I am a private citizen, these postings do not represent anyone/thing/place but me.

If you want ARFF, you first have to get FF1 & 2, HAZMAT Awareness & Ops, and minimum First Responder. If you want a state job i.e. Volk Field, Dane County Airport or Mitchell Field in Milwaukee take the FCR1 test. In the state system you can start as a 1 with little to no certs (ARFF not required to take the FCR1 test). You can find state job announcements on http://wisc.jobs look under Dept of Military Affairs. Your best bet would be to contact the state tech colleges or as another poster said the school in Duluth. If you have any further questions pm me.
    I am a private citizen, these postings do not represent anyone/thing/place but me.

Forum Member

Default Basic ARFF

I went through the Basic ARFF course at Lexington, KY. Bluegrass International Airport. Check with them and see what they offer. I worked for an airport and they sent all thier new hires through the course. Goodluck.

Forum Member

Default Lexington Blugrass Airport ARFF certs.....

I graduated from Lexington Bluegrass Airports ARFF clas this past May 13th and received the cert from them. On it, it said it was "the full 40 hour course and was in accordance with FAR 139 as mandated by the FAA" When I showed it to a company that wanted to hire me, they said because it wasn't state certified or IFSAC in the title, it doesn't do me any good. I had guys in my class from Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois that drove out just to take the class so I assumed that it was worth something. I'd hate to think that I took off work for a week, paid 800 for the class and 400 for the hotel for the week for a piece of paper that does me no good at all. Does anyone know if this can be converted to a state cert or ifsac cert? I know in Indiana, if you have a state cert, and Indiana is a part of IFSAC, you can pay 20 per cert to the IDHS and get it IFSAC sealed.....does anyone know if KY can do the same?

Forum Member

You might stick the question under federal firefighter topics and may get more answers

The school has no answer ????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikel.tyler View Post
    I graduated from Lexington Bluegrass Airports ARFF clas this past May 13th and received the cert from them. On it, it said it was "the full 40 hour course and was in accordance with FAR 139 as mandated by the FAA" When I showed it to a company that wanted to hire me, they said because it wasn't state certified or IFSAC in the title, it doesn't do me any good. I had guys in my class from Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois that drove out just to take the class so I assumed that it was worth something. I'd hate to think that I took off work for a week, paid 800 for the class and 400 for the hotel for the week for a piece of paper that does me no good at all. Does anyone know if this can be converted to a state cert or ifsac cert? I know in Indiana, if you have a state cert, and Indiana is a part of IFSAC, you can pay 20 per cert to the IDHS and get it IFSAC sealed.....does anyone know if KY can do the same?

Did you inquire when you signed up, if it was a IFSAC, National Pro Board certification class that would benefit you in your state and department??

Always seek this information, and get it in writing if necessary, before you spend the money for the class.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information