MembersZone Subscriber

Default CAFS Relay? Possible or BS?

Thought I would lay this out there to see what the consensus is. We were recently operating at a mutual aid structure fire as the first due truck, a 75' quint. Initial crews were doing vent and search, extra manpower was directed to take a second line to the firefloor. They took a 2" with a 1" sb. Here's where it gets dicey, our supply was a CAFS 3" line into our pump. We're not a CAFS unit, so my training is mostly what I read here. We were pretty much mopping up, so I don't know if it made a huge difference. I can't see a CAFS supply being very effective after running it through another pump, but a guy with more bugles told me to connect it. I think we would have been better off with plain water, but maybe this is possible with CAFS?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    Thought I would lay this out there to see what the consensus is. We were recently operating at a mutual aid structure fire as the first due truck, a 75' quint. Initial crews were doing vent and search, extra manpower was directed to take a second line to the firefloor. They took a 2" with a 1" sb. Here's where it gets dicey, our supply was a CAFS 3" line into our pump. We're not a CAFS unit, so my training is mostly what I read here. We were pretty much mopping up, so I don't know if it made a huge difference. I can't see a CAFS supply being very effective after running it through another pump, but a guy with more bugles told me to connect it. I think we would have been better off with plain water, but maybe this is possible with CAFS?
    In our training for our cafs trucks, we can use other non-cafs pumpers as a 'manifold' to deploy cafs. This has only come up once on a structure fire where a MA quint came. One of our trucks supplied that truck to make the ladder pipe a cafs stream. I am guessing the pump acts like a combination nozzle and does break some bubbles but some of the properties should remain - the extra reach, the 'wetter' water and the like.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would agree as well that it should work.

Forum Member

interesting, makes sense though. While it may not be the highest quality foam, it probably should work.

Forum Member

I concur. While you may lose out in quality as far as your bubbles go, you will still have the added benefit of the "wetting" agent's behavior.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i dont see any reason it shouldnt work, maybe not quite as good as the real thing, but it should still be about the same
    now i would make sure i flush everything good(hoses, nozzles, pump, etc.) when back at the station. i dont know if that stuff would gum up and clog nozzles and stuff up or not and if it would get corrosive on things.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber

Same discussion in appartus forum some time ago.

As I recall info from the CAFS experts, info was you could send the CAFS stream a very very long way thru LDH as minimal friction loss. At Fire Ground then distribute thru manifolds to your appliances (including aerial). Not route thru a pump as the pumper adds nothing to the stream, just strips out the bubbles.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Can you run CAFs in a relay? Sure you can pump cafs into another rig and when it comes out of that pump any resemblence to CAFs will be gone. It will be almost bubbleless and nothing more than soupy Class A foam. If that is the case it makes more sense to just relay Class A foam and not CAFs.

Forum Member

More concerned with the amount of air getting pushed into a pump myself, but admittedly have not tried/seen such a thing done.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    ....At Fire Ground then distribute thru manifolds to your appliances (including aerial). Not route thru a pump as the pumper adds nothing to the stream, just strips out the bubbles.
    Exactly, we engage the pump almost 100% of the time. This time the pump was engaged. Im not sure if the MPO was boosting any pressure or not, but the stream didn't have the expected punch.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have tried this at my department. Most of the time we would cavitate the pump just in the receiving engine. We now use that tactic on our ladder without the pump engaged for an elevated connection in our buildings without standpipes.

Thread Information