+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Fox News Mocks Canadian Military

One can tell by looking at this panel none of them have ever been anywhere near a fight in their lives.

I'm embarassed that a major news outlet would insult a group that has shown nothing but support for America both at home and abroad. From my readings the Canadian military has shown itself to be more than capable in every conflict where they have participated. Since when does a country have to answer to the U.S. when it decides to leave? These "people" should be ashamed of themselves.

If this was meant to be comedy, I'm sure the families of these four Canadian soldiers are laughing their asses off.

I can't wait to hear the outrage from the conservative screaming heads.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Wow these people are total morons. Maybe they should head over to iraq to do some "investigative journalism". then again it would be disastrous to have them anywhere near our troops.

MembersZone Subscriber

This show airs at 3 AM and has two actors and a comedian as guests this week. I take it to be a satirical look at the news, a la Jon Stewart.

That said...

I disagree with the Canadian Military policy to allow the US to provide most of their homeland security needs. This is obvious, blatant and w/o dispute. I have posted this many times. But I stress, I disagree with the policy.

The manner in which this subject was handled on this show is as despicable as anything you would see on any news show in the US. Poor policy does not diminish the heroism, sacrifice and professionalism of the Canadian military. This subject could have been handled in an intelligent debate. What they did was completely disrespectful.

I also have to say that I am very disappointed in seeing Monica Crowley as part of this train wreck. I consider her to be a serious journalist. Her stock with me goes down a couple of pegs.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 03-22-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought I was watching a SNL parody...

Think about it: They are on late night for a reason... if they were good looking and had a small bit of talent they would be on in the daylight, won't they?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Take off hosers!

p.s. the metric system blows
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Banned

I guess this explains a lot about SC. He listens to Hollywood comics for the source of his info.

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OLVWtdma0

To date 116 Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan. These mutts disrespect their sacrifice.
    Last edited by ShuswapFireF; 03-22-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I guess this explains a lot about SC. He listens to Hollywood comics for the source of his info.
    Hey idiotboy, can you point me to one line in that dialogue that states they're joking?

Secondly, FNC is not a liberally biased outlet. Even if it was comedians, the rhetoric is despicable given the sacrifices and effort by Canada in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Please dazzle us with something you've done that even remotely compares to these troops.

Gawd, are you stupid.

To my Canadian compatriots. Please forgive the stupidity of Scarecrow. He's an embarassment to us as well. If you read his comments on other threads you'll understand there is a set of parents that aren't monitoring their child's using the home computer.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-22-2009 at 07:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

These people are not funny. In any way, shape or form.

They are also yellow. When asked for comments (read you should make a full on-camera apology) they were "unavailable for comment." I can't see how they could crawl out of this; I can't think of anything they could say or do that would have me pay any further attention to these humanoids.

Despicable humanoid cowards.

The real wo/men are in Afghanistan on behalf of MANY countries and doing the right thing, so that these idiots can attempt feeble jokes that bomb and alienate their neighbours.

I can't see anything to admire about these folks at all. Some subjects you just don't joke about. Period.

This is the nicest response I can make publically. What I really think would get me immediately banned.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

That is very unclassy and quite fankly ****es me off.

On the other hand George I take offence to your comment also, the Canadian Military does not leave anything up to the USA when it comes to Protecting Canada. Sure we are allies and do things together like NORAD but we do not just say "ah we will let them take care of it"

There was a report done by NBC's Brian Williams about the Highway of Heroes in Ontario that was some good press given to Canada from a US network, I tried to find it on youtube but could not.
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

As irritating as it is, I hardly take what a bunch of clowns on a garbage late night show say seriously. They are on late night t.v. for a reason.

The host couldn't come up with anything better than making fun of Lt Gen Leslie's name. Doug I think was his name, looked like he was baked out of his mind. The little princess in the tie. Ha. I'd love to see him strap on some boots and grab a gun. Wow, you make fun of our Mounties. You really got us. The little barbie doll. Who cares. She's only on t.v. for one reason anyways.

Maybe some day they will get a lick of talent and make the big time on FOX. Can't see it any time soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I disagree with the Canadian Military policy to allow the US to provide most of their homeland security needs. This is obvious, blatant and w/o dispute. I have posted this many times. But I stress, I disagree with the policy.
    Why am I not surprised you would come up with this. Please tell us what needs you provide us?? I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-23-2009 at 02:24 AM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default I did not hear any mention of the Kilted Yaksmen

Ren & Stimpy - The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen Anthem

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...&hl=en&tab=wv#

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTEOn the other hand George I take offence to your comment also, the Canadian Military does not leave anything up to the USA when it comes to Protecting Canada. Sure we are allies and do things together like NORAD but we do not just say "ah we will let them take care of it"
    ][/QUOTE]

Why am I not surprised you would come up with this. Please tell us what needs you provide us?? I'd love to hear it.
    Take offense all you want. I am familiar with NORAD. But I would encourage you to research the efforts that Canada is going through to make themselves a 'nuclear weapons free zone" (a key element of the US defense plan) and the coverage of Canada by the US/NATO "nuclear umbrella". These are two examples of items that are left to the US. Secondly, I would encourage you to research the 2004 renewal of the NORAD treaty. This renewal was pushed into more of an "information and intelligence gathering" effort than it was a tactical defense effort. Intlligence gathering is important, but it no more important than the ability to respond mightily and swiftly in the event of an attack.

You may have noticed that I stated clearly that my disagreement was with Canadian POLICY and not with the Canadian military. You may have also noticed that I characterized as "despicable" Fox NEws' charcterization of the Canadian military.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This show airs at 3 AM and has two actors and a comedian as guests this week. I take it to be a satirical look at the news, a la Jon Stewart.
    I've watched this show several times when we've been up after a call, and it's exactly what you describe. It's not anything near a serious news show, and one should be able to tell that by even that short clip.

I have my doubts that the Canadian, or even our own, media hasn't done similar in regards to us. Need one say more than "Heather Mallick"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I have my doubts that the Canadian, or even our own, media hasn't done similar in regards to us. Need one say more than "Heather Mallick"?
    I would love for you to post a clip from a "news" network that insinuates American troops are too tired and need a break.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I would love for you to post a clip from a "news" network that insinuates American troops are too tired and need a break.
    So, are you more upset cause they made fun of (or insulted, whatever you want to call it) the Canadian military or that they "insinuated" they needed a break, which came from a Canadian commander.

If it's because they were insulting to the Canadian military, I would only need to do a quick search to find clips of John Kerry and Stephen King insulting our soldiers' intelligence.

Forum Member

So, are you more upset cause they made fun of (or insulted, whatever you want to call it) the Canadian military or that they "insinuated" they needed a break, which came from a Canadian commander.
    You left out the context. Did you miss the line where one of the "reporters" stated (sort of exact since I'm doing this from memory), "I thought Canada was a place you went to if you DIDN'T want to fight in a war." I'm sure there are numerous Canadian veterans (from WW II who fought in battles like Dieppe or stormed the beaches on D-Day, or the veterans of the 1st Special Service Force) would gladly kick the crap out of any of these idiots.

If it's because they were insulting to the Canadian military, I would only need to do a quick search to find clips of John Kerry and Stephen King insulting our soldiers' intelligence.
    Are John Kerry and Stephen King part of a "news" agency?
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You left out the context. Did you miss the line where one of the "reporters" stated (sort of exact since I'm doing this from memory), "I thought Canada was a place you went to if you DIDN'T want to fight in a war." I'm sure there are numerous Canadian veterans (from WW II who fought in battles like Dieppe or stormed the beaches on D-Day, or the veterans of the 1st Special Service Force) would gladly kick the crap out of any of these idiots.
    I didn't miss anything. I blew it off for what it is, and SNL/Jon Stewart-type news show that's not supposed to be mistaken for "news" at all. The only reason I, or anyone I know, watches it is for an occassional laugh or to see what kind of skirt and low-cut shirt the token female is wearing.

As far as going to Canada to get out of fighting a war, isn't he right? If I remember my history right, we had a lot of people dodge the draft by going to Canada. But, once again, this is hardly a news show so much as it is a parody of a news show and an attempt to entertain those up at 0300 (hence the name "Red Eye"). News channels can have shows that aren't just news, you know. It's kind of like MTV or CMT having shows that aren't about music.

Are John Kerry and Stephen King part of a "news" agency?
    So that makes it OK? The point is, there are people everywhere that say stupid things (President Obama and his Special Olympics gaff, for a recent example). It doesn't mean we have to call every one of them out, especially because you want to bash Fox News for the sole purpose of starting some kind of debate with the resident conservatives.

Forum Member

One can tell by looking at this panel none of them have ever been anywhere near a fight in their lives.

I'm embarassed that a major news outlet would insult a group that has shown nothing but support for America both at home and abroad. From my readings the Canadian military has shown itself to be more than capable in every conflict where they have participated. Since when does a country have to answer to the U.S. when it decides to leave? These "people" should be ashamed of themselves.

If this was meant to be comedy, I'm sure the families of these four Canadian soldiers are laughing their asses off.

I can't wait to hear the outrage from the conservative screaming heads.
    Wow, your kidding right? You must be running out of legitimate conservative gripes to post this. If the Red eye is your source for " major news " no wonder you are so misguided and angry.

Where is your embarrassment over this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwcsZ...eature=related

I'm sure the families of these people http://www.immigrationshumancost.org...mevictims.html are also laughing their asses off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Take offense all you want. I am familiar with NORAD. But I would encourage you to research the efforts that Canada is going through to make themselves a 'nuclear weapons free zone" (a key element of the US defense plan) and the coverage of Canada by the US/NATO "nuclear umbrella". These are two examples of items that are left to the US.
    Well that's great it's a key element of the US defense plan. Last I checked it's our country and we can do with it as we please. We shouldn't have to change our ways just because it doesn't vibe with the US nuclear defense plan. By the way our country still allows US aircraft and vessels traveling with nuclear weapons to use our facility's. We simply do not store nuclear weapons on our land. The only port I found that is completely nuclear free is the Port of Vancouver and that would not affect navy operations.

As for the nuclear umbrella. I don't see how it's our fault that countries with nuclear weapons made a guarantee to protect nations that do not house nuclear weapons. That's their choice.

So sure it's a part of our security but it's not providing most of our homeland security needs.

The goofball with the tie on mentioned about our cops. He said how your cops drive "heavily armored vehicles" or whatever it was. I wonder how many police officers in the states have to drive vehicles like this? Probably not many.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-23-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Last I checked it's our country and we can do with it as we please.
    I just checked the records. Its still your country. Feel free to do with it as you please. (BTW, if this is the best comeback you have, we all now know that the Debate Club was never on your list of extra-curricular activities inHS).

Just remember, the freedoms we enjoy down here allows me to hold and sdtate my opinion as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slipperypete View Post
    Wow, your kidding right? You must be running out of legitimate conservative gripes to post this. If the Red eye is your source for " major news " no wonder you are so misguided and angry.
    Not misguided. Amused is more like it. During the Bush years any criticism of the troops was immediately attacked as unpatriotic or even treasonous.

Now it's no big deal.

At least we know the depth of the patriotism from all those conservatives who were so quick to condemn just six short months ago.

What could possibly be different now that would cause such a dramatic change?

As far as the Pelosi link. There's nothing stopping you from starting your own thread on the topic.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-23-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

It's been a big deal on the news here all day ....

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Ca...851/story.html

Update: Canadians respond to Fox TV's mocking of army and host's apology

Edmonton comedy club cancels gig of one of the show's panelists

Times ColonistMarch 23, 2009 3:01 PMComments (49)

As Jim Davis absorbed today's televised images of Canada's four latest war dead coming home, he learned that a Fox News television host had apologized for mocking Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

"I think it's very nice and all that they did apologize. It just goes to show you that they were just a bit reckless, I guess," said Davis, whose 28-year-old son Paul, a corporal, was killed in a March 2006 vehicle rollover in Afghanistan.

"It's a very solemn moment," Davis said from his Bridgewater, N.S., home as he watched the four Maple Leaf-draped coffins descend to the tarmac of Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ont. "When you look at the seriousness of that moment, and you look at the foolishness of those comedians, well, what a difference."

Before Monday, few on this continent had heard of a 3 a.m. Fox television program called Red Eye. Last week, the show aired a segment that ridiculed the March 10 testimony before a Senate committee by Canada's army commander, Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, who said that by 2011 his troops would need a year to recover from the Afghan deployment because of the wear and tear on its equipment and personnel.

Canadians were outraged after the broadcast got a new lease on life through its airing on YouTube. That unleashed a tirade of anti-American vitriol in cyberspace.

Canada's defence minister demanded, and got, an apology from the U.S. broadcaster, and his fellow Canadian politicians denounced the crassness of the coincidence on Parliament Hill.

Ripples were felt in Washington too.

"Both President (Barack) Obama and Secretary (Hillary) Clinton have expressed the U.S.'s gratitude for the commitment and sacrifice of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan. Canada has been a steadfast and capable partner on the ground in Afghanistan since 2002, and we are grateful for its contributions toward achieving security in that country," the U.S. State Department said in a statement Monday that was issued in response to the Fox broadcast.

By mid-afternoon, Greg Gutfeld, host of the Fox segment, sent out an e-mailed statement apologizing and explaining that the March 17 segment, which originally aired before Friday's latest Canadian fatalities, had been misunderstood.

Gutfeld said the five-minute spot "was in no way an attempt to make light of troop efforts."

"However, I realize that my words may have been misunderstood. It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize. Red Eye is a satirical take on the news, in which all topics are addressed in a lighthearted, humourous and ridiculous manner."

Earlier, Dan Dugas, spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, had demanded an apology from "this so-called comedian" and his panel.

"These are despicable, hurtful and ignorant comments. No one is laughing and they owe Canada, and more importantly, the families of each one of our fallen heroes, an apology for their ill-informed mistakes," said Dugas.

MacKay, along with Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean, attended the repatriation ceremony Monday at CFB Trenton, where the loved ones of Canada's four latest Afghanistan fatalities had gathered.

Canada has lost 116 soldiers and one diplomat in Afghanistan since 2002, including the four soldiers who died Friday in two separate bomb blasts in Kandahar province.

MacKay called for an apology in a brief interview with CTV News, saying, "it's crass, it's insensitive, it's in fact disgusting given the timing where Canada is just receiving back four fallen heroes."

MacKay said the Fox item represents "a very limited, uninformed view" that was not necessarily typical of all Americans.

In the segment, Gutfeld suggested the Forces would use the year to "do some yoga, paint some landscapes, and run on the beach."

Gutfeld said it is "the perfect time to invade this ridiculous country" because "they have no army."

Comedian Doug Benson, who was a part of the Red Eye panel, quickly paid the price for his disparaging remarks.

The Comic Strip at West Edmonton Mall cancelled his appearance after the club received threats in response to his comments.

"I didn't even know they were in the war," Benson said on the show. "I thought that's where you go if you don't want to fight."

Davis said he Googled the Fox item Monday morning when it began repeatedly airing in Canada. He wasn't able to watch it all, and initially said it wasn't worthy of a response.

"It was total ignorance, poor taste and wasn't funny at all," said Davis, who described the last week as "horrific" and a "roller-coaster" since the news of the four most recent Canadian military deaths reached him.

"I know it's been three years for me, but I know what the families have to look forward to in the next little while. And it's hard," Davis explained.

He had a message for the families of the four soldiers who met those coffins on Monday afternoon.

"We're all in this together. There will be moments when you want to reach out. And when you want to reach out to talk to another mom or dad or spouse widow do so. Just ask. . . . There is a program in place that can make that happen."

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

the 4-1-4

Edmonton comedy club cancels gig of one of the show's panelists
    And this is exactly how you pay them back, you hit them where it hurts.

Forum Member

I didn't miss anything. I blew it off for what it is, and SNL/Jon Stewart-type news show that's not supposed to be mistaken for "news" at all. The only reason I, or anyone I know, watches it is for an occassional laugh or to see what kind of skirt and low-cut shirt the token female is wearing.
    Jon Stewart is on a network called Comedy Central. The lead-ins are Reno 911 and Spark of Insanity. SNL is a show that performs skit comedy.

This show is on a network called Fox News Channel. Which one of those words implies it should viewed as a parody?

If you don't understand the difference as to why people in Canada are reacting negatively then you are clueless.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada's army isn't much bigger than CA's National Guard. My military buff friends tell me it's almost short of miraculous they have been able to keep an army in the field that far from home this long without an equipment PM or refit.

As far as going to Canada to get out of fighting a war, isn't he right? If I remember my history right, we had a lot of people dodge the draft by going to Canada. But, once again, this is hardly a news show so much as it is a parody of a news show and an attempt to entertain those up at 0300 (hence the name "Red Eye"). News channels can have shows that aren't just news, you know. It's kind of like MTV or CMT having shows that aren't about music.
    It's where Americans went to not go to war. The comedian implied that Canadians aren't willing to fight. Which one of CNN's shows is a news parody? Other than Lou Dobbs of course.

So that makes it OK? The point is, there are people everywhere that say stupid things (President Obama and his Special Olympics gaff, for a recent example). It doesn't mean we have to call every one of them out, especially because you want to bash Fox News for the sole purpose of starting some kind of debate with the resident conservatives.
    And he immediately apologized. And there wasn't anyone on the Special Olympics bowling team coming home in a box because of a poor competition. Your analogy is ridiculous.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information