Forum Member

Default Hospital bills--what can be done?

This is one small hospital in Florida ..........Unbelievable!

PLEASE WATCH THIS SHORT VIDEO. EVERYONE NEEDS TO HEAR THIS. IT AFFECTS EVERY ONE OF US!!!

This should offend every US tax-paying citizen.. This is not only happening in Florida, but every state in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJxmJZXgNI
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Banned

Simple, put the illegals on a boat and send them home. I have heard similar stories here. My friend who is the commissioner said he caught a van full of illegals, called INS and they couldn't do a thing with them. Imagine if we got rid of all 5 million illegals, we could put all of those laid of in the last few months back to work.

Forum Member

So do we need to find another definition for ILLEGAL? as the man at the end states "the fact that they are illegal isnt enough to get the feds interested?" If the feds arent going to do anything because crimes havent been committed and just being in the country ILLEGALLY isnt enough to get you deported then why bother to even have the laws in the first place. Its also a real shame that this hospital is losing out on this. This is why places put up signs that way no health insurance no treatment. its a real shame too because for US CITIZENS who cannot afford health insurance you cant even be seen if your having a heart attack. what then do you do? Its people that take advantage of the system that screw the rest of us over. Something needs to be done, just what i cant say. I think that rounding up millions of people and just tossing them out might be extreme, but i do agree that illegal immigrants are getting out of hand. I really dont understand why they cant just do it legally in the first place. Its really not all that hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am in total agreement!!!

Let me tell you a little story from my neck of the woods.

It has become popular for large local farms in my area to hire illegals to work and pay them less than half it would cost a normal farm hand. It is really a problem in the counties south of me where we have a large chicken factory (Arcadia Fryers) and more farms than in my county. The problem is they work there, then come to Eau Claire, the "big city" to party and cut loose. In the process they fight, bring their drug problems, drive drunk and crash, and get into trouble in my town. Our closest ICE office is in Minneapolis, MN. They have told us (the Eau Claire Police Dept.) that unless they have killed, or nearly killed someone, ICE "...does not have the resources or manpower available to deal with this situation..." and that their resources "...are spread thin and have a high caseload to give this situation any attention."

So...yes, immigration is a big problem even in a state that is one of the farthest away from the Mexican border.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Careful fellas, or scfire and the nozzleman will bring out their tired rants about us all being racists.

You all will love this one. Illegal immigrants complaining that society is punishing them for being in our great nation I-L-L-E-G-A-L-L-Y:

http://www.telegram.com/article/2009...116/NEWSREWIND

Thursday, March 19, 2009
    Illegals tell of hardship

MEETING TOUCHES ON HEALTH CARE, DRIVER'S LICENSES

By Paula J. Owen CORRESPONDENT

We plant seeds, our kids, in the soil of Massachusetts, but we need your help for them to grow.

alicia alvez,
    NATIVE OF PARAGUAY

FITCHBURG — Illegal immigrants told a government task force yesterday of the difficulties they face in day-to-day life in Massachusetts.

Seven panelists, using translators, told the Governor’s Advisory Council on Immigrants and Refugees last night at Fitchburg High School of the problems their undocumented status causes them in education, public transportation, the workplace, health care, housing and transportation.

Fitchburg panelist Oscar Zapata from Uruguay has lived in the United States 20 years.

“As immigrants, many times we don’t have secure work,” he said. “We work through temp agencies that abuse us and don’t pay us minimum wage and don’t have benefits. We can’t complain about it or we get treated badly in the companies that we work at.”

He said labor laws are not enforced for illegal immigrants.

“We get threatened to lose our jobs if we try to confront these issues,” he said. “There is discrimination against people who do not speak English in the workplace. Because some of us do not have proper identification, we can’t go to banks to cash our checks and have to go to places that charge us 10 percent of our earnings.”

Mr. Zapata said the state needs to respect workers and not make undocumented immigration status an obstacle. Passports, he said, should be sufficient to open a bank account and for cashing payroll checks.

Most of the panelists cited illegal immigrants’ inability to obtain driver’s licenses and the lack of adequate public transportation as major obstacles.

Miguel Marino, also a native of Uruguay, said he thinks illegal immigrants should be allowed to get driver’s licenses. Most immigrants, he said, are on the roads to get to work, but live in fear of getting stopped by police.

“Some of us can’t even insure our cars, which is a law,” he said. “Many times police detain or stop us because we don’t have licenses, not because of a traffic violation. People drive with fear, but have to do it out of necessity. Not all police officers know how to treat immigrants with respect or treat them as a person.”

Panelist Teresita Bueno said illegal immigrants cannot get health care in Massachusetts since they lack a Social Security number or proper identification. Many receive inadequate health care, and wrong or incomplete diagnoses result from this, she said. Additionally, translators are not always available.

“This type of treatment is mostly seen in the emergency room when translation is needed,” she said. “Many times doctors or employees make decisions for patients without consulting them.”

Alicia Alvez from Paraguay has lived in the United States 20 years. She said she represented many people in the audience. She said illegal immigrants are not part of civic life and are not informed about what is happening in government.

“What this means to us is that the state does not value us,” she said.

She added that a problem hurting many undocumented parents is that when their children graduate from high school they cannot drive, work or go to college because of their status.

“We plant seeds, our kids, in the soil of Massachusetts, but we need your help for them to grow,” she said. “My immigration status is not perfect, but I am working on it.”

The meeting in Fitchburg was the last of six state-sponsored meetings on immigration reform held throughout the state.

The state’s Office for Refugees and Immigrants and the Governor’s Advisory Council for Refugees and Immigrants will present policy recommendations to the governor by July 1 based on research, expert interviews, input from state agencies and from the public meetings.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Banned

Well in America it is OK, they will pay taxes in the future. That is the way our government works and has for the last 100 years. No need to pay for things now, pay for them later. I know how well that worked on my own little small scale. So on the big scale, it will wreck the country too.

Back In Black

Default NJ is the Promised Land!

Well, NJ is very friendly towards illegals.

They passed a law two years ago requiring us to provide free treatments to patients with no insurance.

In my field, ALL patients qualify for medicare.... as long as you have enough work credits. Sounds good, right?

Well, illegals who have not contributed to Social Security/Medicare (because they don't have valid social security numbers) do not get medicare and now get free treatments. Since we are not a hospital, we can not receive charity care.

Estimates are about 1.7 million a year for us in REAL costs.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Well, NJ is very friendly towards illegals.

They passed a law two years ago requiring us to provide free treatments to patients with no insurance.

In my field, ALL patients qualify for medicare.... as long as you have enough work credits. Sounds good, right?

Well, illegals who have not contributed to Social Security/Medicare (because they don't have valid social security numbers) do not get medicare and now get free treatments. Since we are not a hospital, we can not receive charity care.

Estimates are about 1.7 million a year for us in REAL costs.
    It makes no difference to me whether a person is illegal or not; if they need medical care, especially emergency care, it should be provided without question. As far as the cost to the taxpayers goes, I personally have no problem with increased taxes to cover it. I think morally and ethically its the right thing to do.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by gamewell35 View Post
    It makes no difference to me whether a person is illegal or not; if they need medical care, especially emergency care, it should be provided without question. As far as the cost to the taxpayers goes, I personally have no problem with increased taxes to cover it. I think morally and ethically its the right thing to do.
    In the example I provided, it doesn't cost taxpayers anything. It costs my company and the stockholders that own it a lot.

So, how far are you willing to take your philanthropy? Would you agree to paying double what you pay now for health benefits? Triple? Quadruple?

When is it too much?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

In the example I provided, it doesn't cost taxpayers anything. It costs my company and the stockholders that own it a lot.

So, how far are you willing to take your philanthropy? Would you agree to paying double what you pay now for health benefits? Triple? Quadruple?

When is it too much?
    Whatever it takes. I guess I have a different outlook on the value of human life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where do you really start? Yes, illegal immigrants are part of the problem, but so are lazy Americans that are too good to find a damn job and get their healthcare from Medicaid programs (Missouri Mastercard as we like to call it).

You want to see healthcare costs drop back to where they need to be, address the illegal problem. But also address the Medicaid and overinflated malpractice suits. I was really impressed when I saw Kansas is hearing a bill that would require drug testing for those on Medicaid. That's a good start.

Back In Black

Whatever it takes. I guess I have a different outlook on the value of human life.
    So you'd be willing to give up your entire paycheck to help the illegal aliens get healthcare.

Great! I'll send you some bills.

Forum Member

You have to look at and consider the long-term costs involved.

Uninsured care - for illegal immigrants or not - costs tons of money. Hospitals are required to provide care regardless of insurance status, and they do it. Hospitals absorb the cost of this care, but have to write it off, to tune of millions of dollars a year - for a single hospital (not even in a hospital system.)

At the same time, Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements for services and care are going down, making it more difficulty to keep operating.

Now, private insurers often follow CMS payment because they should not pay a different price for the same service should they?

So hospitals LOSE money every year. I can name you 3 hospitals within 25 miles of the ED I work in (our hospital's catchment area) that are deep financial trouble, one of which will likely close within the next year, and the other two continue to cut staff.

Why is this an issue? Because in the long-term, while providing care is fantastic, and I do it making few adjustments in care while doing so, hospitals close down, making other hospitals pick up that patient load in an already overloaded system. Hospital ED wait times increase dramatically, causing a deteriation in the care that is provided to EVERYONE.

For instance, in Massachusetts 30 (YES! Thirty) hospitals have closed within the last 10-15 years. That involves longer transports to EDs, more people in fewer EDs, more patients waiting in EDs to be admitted to full floors, and a lower level of care provided to everyone in the ED.

Why the push on the ED? Not because that is where I work, but simply because that is where the uninsured and illegal immigrant population gets their access to care in a hospital. They do not have Primary Care Providers, so they have to go somewhere, and they come to us. Often sicker, and further along, thus requiring admission for what were simple things.

Anecdotally, the physician group that I used to work for in North Carolina (NC has the 5th highest population of illegal immigrants in the US) recouped only a third of its billable care. One third of all bills that went out were recovered. So hospitals, provider groups, and other billing agencies charge more overall to at least compensate for the lost revenue and income.

Illegal immigration is only a part of this issue, and the government running healthcare is not something that will be fantastic for us all.

Illegal immigrants are defacto criminals. They KNOWINGLY broke the law to enter the United States of America. Do I sympathize with why they want to come to the Unites States? You bet I do. Do I want immigrants to succeed in whatever their endeavours are here in our great nation? Yes I do. But all I ask is that it be done within the parameter of the same laws that I am required to follow.

No more "safe haven cities" like Cambridge or Brookline here in Massachusetts where a person cannot be asked about their immigration status. Lets be real here and stop living in our own little world of idealism and light.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You have to look at and consider the long-term costs involved.

Uninsured care - for illegal immigrants or not - costs tons of money. Hospitals are required to provide care regardless of insurance status, and they do it. Hospitals absorb the cost of this care, but have to write it off, to tune of millions of dollars a year - for a single hospital (not even in a hospital system.)

At the same time, Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements for services and care are going down, making it more difficulty to keep operating.

Now, private insurers often follow CMS payment because they should not pay a different price for the same service should they?

So hospitals LOSE money every year. I can name you 3 hospitals within 25 miles of the ED I work in (our hospital's catchment area) that are deep financial trouble, one of which will likely close within the next year, and the other two continue to cut staff.

Why is this an issue? Because in the long-term, while providing care is fantastic, and I do it making few adjustments in care while doing so, hospitals close down, making other hospitals pick up that patient load in an already overloaded system. Hospital ED wait times increase dramatically, causing a deteriation in the care that is provided to EVERYONE.

For instance, in Massachusetts 30 (YES! Thirty) hospitals have closed within the last 10-15 years. That involves longer transports to EDs, more people in fewer EDs, more patients waiting in EDs to be admitted to full floors, and a lower level of care provided to everyone in the ED.

Why the push on the ED? Not because that is where I work, but simply because that is where the uninsured and illegal immigrant population gets their access to care in a hospital. They do not have Primary Care Providers, so they have to go somewhere, and they come to us. Often sicker, and further along, thus requiring admission for what were simple things.

Anecdotally, the physician group that I used to work for in North Carolina (NC has the 5th highest population of illegal immigrants in the US) recouped only a third of its billable care. One third of all bills that went out were recovered. So hospitals, provider groups, and other billing agencies charge more overall to at least compensate for the lost revenue and income.

Illegal immigration is only a part of this issue, and the government running healthcare is not something that will be fantastic for us all.

Illegal immigrants are defacto criminals. They KNOWINGLY broke the law to enter the United States of America. Do I sympathize with why they want to come to the Unites States? You bet I do. Do I want immigrants to succeed in whatever their endeavours are here in our great nation? Yes I do. But all I ask is that it be done within the parameter of the same laws that I am required to follow.

No more "safe haven cities" like Cambridge or Brookline here in Massachusetts where a person cannot be asked about their immigration status. Lets be real here and stop living in our own little world of idealism and light.
    Your labeling everyone who's an illegal immigrant a defacto criminal? What about the newborn and young children? They have no idea what the laws are in this country, so to stereotype them as criminals is plain wrong. Furthermore, medicine knows no parameters, laws, idealism or light to follow when you are in need of medical treatment, as such immigration status should not factor in at all.

If hypothedically, an illegal immigrant is infected with an infectious disease, such as typhus, smallpox or any of the other diseases so prevelant in our world, would you want that person to continue to walk the street and infect others? Or receive treatment? I'm sure you know what the logical answer is.

Back In Black

Your labeling everyone who's an illegal immigrant a defacto criminal? What about the newborn and young children? They have no idea what the laws are in this country, so to stereotype them as criminals is plain wrong. Furthermore, medicine knows no parameters, laws, idealism or light to follow when you are in need of medical treatment, as such immigration status should not factor in at all.

If hypothedically, an illegal immigrant is infected with an infectious disease, such as typhus, smallpox or any of the other diseases so prevelant in our world, would you want that person to continue to walk the street and infect others? Or receive treatment? I'm sure you know what the logical answer is.
    So, like I asked before. You're willing to give up your entire paycheck to pay for your altruism? Right?

Banned

Emergency care. Sure. Then pack them up and send them back.

I know our county is paying for rehab for an illegal, who lives in Texas. To F****** Bad. Send him back to his native land and let them deal with it.

We can't provide services for every indigent person in the world. There is a limit on what we as Americans can afford. And since we don't have the funds to care for our own, and we are already over taxed, back you go.

By the way. there is nothing stopping you from giving the governmetn more money. Go ahead, give them extra. Put your money where your mouth is.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 03-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Banned

illegal – adjective

1. forbidden by law or statute.

So yes, by definition, every illegal immigrant is a criminal as they have broken the law.

But the next question is what level of care do you ration out to these folks?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well.............

Race, Nationality, etc, etc, etc, is NOT A FACTOR when I show up in response to a call for help. I give aid as appropriate TO THE MEDICAL CONDITION, not the legal status of the ill or injured. The Medical Facilities that I Transport to have the same views. Everyone is treated equally in the Billing process as well.

UPON RELEASE FROM CARE is when the problems start. I am in full agreement that illegals should be returned to their home country ASAP.

The question arose of the status of Children born here. From what I have learned, if you are born here, the status of the parents is not a factor, you are a native of the United States.

"Rights for Illegals" is a term that I've heard here. (This close to the capitol, I hear a lot) This is a huge Oxymoron or maybe just a plain Moron, like the idiot who came up with it.

My Stance is simple: Don't mistreat them, but send them home ASAP.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    There is a limit on what we as Americans can afford.
    Ok, how much can we afford? Take a position on that.

Banned

Given our hugs deficit, we can't afford any. However, we give them the bare essentials. Got cancer? Sorry to hear it, but you aren't going to get the $1,000,000 in treatment. Matter of fact, go back to your native land and spend your last days smoking the dope they are growing. It's tough I know. But when we can't even take car of our own we really can't offer up extra for others.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Given our hugs deficit, we can't afford any. However, we give them the bare essentials. Got cancer? Sorry to hear it, but you aren't going to get the $1,000,000 in treatment. Matter of fact, go back to your native land and spend your last days smoking the dope they are growing. It's tough I know. But when we can't even take car of our own we really can't offer up extra for others.
    Wait a minute crow; how can you give if you can't afford any? Just what are the bare essentials?

Banned

Wait a minute crow; how can you give if you can't afford any? Just what are the bare essentials?
    They aren't much. Think about it this way. You have $5,000 to spend on health care. Are you going to spend it on your family, your neighbor, or some clown here illegally?

You never answered, since you have no problem paying more in taxes, how much extra did you give to the government?

Back In Black

Third time's the charm!

Are you willing to sign over your entire paycheck to pay the medical bills of the illegal alien?

How far does your altruism really go?

Forum Member

Well, you seem to show your own LACK of understanding of our laws. See, if you are born in the United States of America or on Soveriegn Soil of the United States of America, then you are a citizen of the United States of America. Ergo, you are NOT an illegal immigrant. Nice try though (well, not really.) However, your parents are illegal immigrants if they decided to cross the Mojave Desert, Rio Grande, Atlantic, Pacific, or whatever other barrier may exist WITHOUT HAVING GONE THROUGH THE PROCESS TO BECOME A RESIDENT LEGAL ALIEN.

Well, ya see herein lies my problem. You have people from a variety of nations who wish to come into the United States in violation of not only our laws, but also their home country's laws. Bringing with them all manner of diseases that you, me, and every other person in the United States must pay for treatment. So yes, I have a problem with this. This is why you have a process to go through to enter our wonderful country.

Alas, the 9% of our fellow countrymen that are without work also do not get work because we have a system in place that blows off illegal activity and chooses not to enforce laws so we have insufferable conditions for workers (ones that your almighty unions would not allow) that would work to employ citizens and LEGAL resident aliens.

Forum Member

Third time's the charm!

Are you willing to sign over your entire paycheck to pay the medical bills of the illegal alien?

How far does your altruism really go?
    Good luck getting an answer. Ya see, Gamewell is just like scfire and Nozzleman.........You will never get a true answer when you ask a pointed question........

Socialism is a great idea, until you run out of other people's money.

Thread Information