1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default Do you have any questions???

    How do you respond to this final intervirw question? If you have done your research you should have the basic information regarding the department, the rest of the hiring process, ect... any experts out there have a good question that can be asked at the end of the interview?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahurst2001 View Post
    How do you respond to this final intervirw question? If you have done your research you should have the basic information regarding the department, the rest of the hiring process, ect... any experts out there have a good question that can be asked at the end of the interview?
    How about none.

    It would be different if they asked do you have anything to add. That would be a chance for a closing.

    Asking the Panel Questions?

    Candidates have been told by others that you always have to ask a question, if you're given the opportunity at the end of an interview, or you will lose points. Not True in a fire oral! In a regular or corporate interview that might be true. But not here. You never, ever, ever, have a question. We don't expect you to have any questions. I had a guy one day ask, "Since I live so far away, can I start at second step pay to help pay for my gas?"

    We had another candidate say, "You have probably heard about the charges against me for stealing over at the college?" No, we haven't, why don't you tell us about it. Here was another candidate who have done an outstanding job in his oral and he had to bring this up. His score dropped like a wounded seagull. This is not the time to bring up anything like this. You never bring up a negative item unless the panel does. They probably won't. It they do, have a simple, short (I said simple and short) answer to the situation.

    If that question is asked (here's the "Nugget") you can pause as if your gathering your thoughts and then say, "No, I think we covered everything."
    ______________________________ _______________

    "Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

    Fire "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    We had another candidate say, "You have probably heard about the charges against me for stealing over at the college?" No, we haven't, why don't you tell us about it. Here was another candidate who have done an outstanding job in his oral and he had to bring this up. His score dropped like a wounded seagull. This is not the time to bring up anything like this. You never bring up a negative item unless the panel does. They probably won't. It they do, have a simple, short (I said simple and short) answer to the situation.
    Yeah, cause if theydon't come up here, they will come up in the background anmd you willpenalized twice. Once for stealing and once for concealing info\.

    But you bobbyites know already that he advocates hiding all this negative stuff instead of facing up to it like an adult. Personally, I'd rather hear it from you than hear it from my background investigator for the first time. But concealing info is the mantra of the bobbyites.

    Let's not forget that if you have been convicted of stealing, you have no reason to expect that a FD will hire you anyway.

    But I will say that I agree with his advice that if they say "Do you have any questions?", say no, shut up and get out of there. You can only make it worse.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    thank you... makes sense. obviously i wouldnt draw any attention to negatives.

    do you have any recomendations on the "do you have anything to add"?? I was thinking of telling them i am a sex offender but figured i would wait until the 2nd interview.... kidding!



    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    How about none.

    It would be different if they asked do you have anything to add. That would be a chance for a closing.

    Asking the Panel Questions?

    Candidates have been told by others that you always have to ask a question, if you're given the opportunity at the end of an interview, or you will lose points. Not True in a fire oral! In a regular or corporate interview that might be true. But not here. You never, ever, ever, have a question. We don't expect you to have any questions. I had a guy one day ask, "Since I live so far away, can I start at second step pay to help pay for my gas?"

    We had another candidate say, "You have probably heard about the charges against me for stealing over at the college?" No, we haven't, why don't you tell us about it. Here was another candidate who have done an outstanding job in his oral and he had to bring this up. His score dropped like a wounded seagull. This is not the time to bring up anything like this. You never bring up a negative item unless the panel does. They probably won't. It they do, have a simple, short (I said simple and short) answer to the situation.

    If that question is asked (here's the "Nugget") you can pause as if your gathering your thoughts and then say, "No, I think we covered everything."

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Bet

    I got $20.00 says.....George can't help but jump in.



    Sorry...I was too late.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahurst2001 View Post
    do you have any recomendations on the "do you have anything to add"?? I was thinking of telling them i am a sex offender but figured i would wait until the 2nd interview.... kidding!


    This is just what I've learned through my interviewing experiences.
    You will generally will want to have something to say for the "do you have anything to add" question. Use it to make any corrections or clarify a previous response or mention something you left out. If you didn't mention something about yourself during the previous part of the interview that you feel is important (volunteering in your community, construction background, mechanical abilities, etc.) this would be a good time to work it in. And ALWAYS thank them for their time and the opportunity. Be humble and appreciative.

    I think I got the "do you have any questions" question once out of four interviews. I responded with a "No sir, I think we've covered everything" or something very similar. Sometimes this can be their way of asking you if there's anything else to add, so just be aware. You don't want to walk out without giving a brief closing statement.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Summer Job at FD

    Dear colleagues,

    my name is Jakub Morávek and I am a voluntary fifefighter in the city of Chrudim in the Czech Republic. I study Security and Strategic Studies at Masaryk University in Brno. I would like to spend the summer 2009 in the United States. I am looking for a job for June and August and it has always been my dream to work at a fire department in the U.S.

    As regards my prerequisites I have an international driving licence for trucks and trailers including fire engines and engineering licence for handling of fire and civil trucks. A have also a training in breathing apparatus and first aid and certificates in these.

    I am aware of the fact that it is difficult for you to put me on the position of a firefighter. So I am prepared to do any kind of work at your fire department (washing hoses, cleaning the station or preparing the equipment and the engines for alert operations).

    Please inform me whether you would be able to employ me for a summer job at your department.

    With best regards,

    Jakub Morávek
    Chrudim, the Czech Republic

    Email: coudy150@seznam.cz
    Phone: +420723376827
    Web: http://sdh-chrudim.cz/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 10 Questions on 10-26
    By sdfireman in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2006, 01:37 PM
  2. Questions
    By donk7267 in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
  3. Questions
    By litfroggie in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 11:04 AM
  4. 5 Questions
    By waterboy1 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 05:29 PM
  5. Few Questions
    By litfroggie in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register