Thread: Common Words

Forum Member

Default Common Words

I saw a story that ran on CNN today that was talking about www.wordle.net and how you could go to that site to make word bubbles by inserting text. It also gave a count of how many times a word was used. They used it to assess the President's speech, but I thought this was an interesting idea for grants. So I took this years grant project there and created a word bubble. It looked pretty and all but then I clicked on the Language tab and hit "Show word count" at the bottom and it showed every word that was used and how many times it was used. I was suprised to find that "safety" was used less than other words like "our" and "project."

I am sure there are other programs out there that can do this and maybe are more desiged for text editing but I thought this was a cool idea to give you a glimpse at some of the things you are saying over and over.

Forum Member

yeah that buble thing works great, it just reminded me that I have way to many words. Time to shorten a bit and take out fluff.

Great idea thanks

Bryan

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There used to be one out there that would assess the education level needed to comprehend 90% of the text. I know we ran someone's through it back in 2002 or 2003 and it came back at an 18 because he had a person with a PhD in English editing it. Don't know about anyone else but I'm sure as heck lost at that level.

Forum Member

In Microsoft Word you can assess readability and evaluate where your document ends up in the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level. Just go to Word and in the help item type readability and it will give you directions on how to do this. Just remember that grant narratives usually score higher than 12th grade because of the technical data that is involved in it.

I can't take credit for this. I either read this in a previous post or I think Kurt may have mentioned it in one of his classes.

Forum Member

I knew about the Flesch-Kincaid, but not about about the bubble. Thank you.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In Word it's off the Tools..Options menu, Spelling and Grammar tab. Check box for Readability score when you do the F7 Spell Check. Not quite as nice as that old web site, like Ryan said tends to read high because of the acronyms and whatnot. Tends to be a grade or 2 higher than what it really is, but then again when has Microsoft ever been that accurate? Sure wasn't in my years of flying a desk writing MS code...

Forum Member

Or if you are using Word 2007 then go to the new cool little round thing in the corner and click on Word Options at the bottom, then Proofing and look for the show Readability statistics check box. Works just the same after that.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Tried Word 2007, moved too much crap around for my taste. Tired of all their newer "features" telling me how I want to do up my documents. Same reason I hated their newer development tools, they started autopopulating tags and whatnot which ended up sticking them where they didn't belong and blowing up applications. Spent more time fixing their 'helpfulness' than writing code to get the job done. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore...

Forum Member

Brian, about the only part of that I understood was the first two sentences LoL! I have 2007 on the laptop and am slowly getting used to it but can't make myself switch the home PC yet.

Forum Member

I have 2007 laying on my desk, and currently thats as close as its gonna get to my computer. I just now have the handle on all of 2003, and I didn't know you could speak greek, cause that what a whole lot of the above is to me.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's why I suggest everyone pick up a nerd, they come in handy. Or be one as person typing this message is.

I reluctantly have Vista on my laptop but have to since it's a tablet. Wife's new laptop has it and so does her desktop. 3 computers, 2 versions of Vista. Some programs work on one, not the other two with no rhyme or reason. Hence the reason I still run XP Pro on my desktop. Hard to kill, easy to wipe the machine and start fresh. Vista has decided it will run any restore options because it knows what I want more than me. Which is amazing, since I don't even know what I want...should have learned to play the guitar...

Thread Information