Forum Member

Default horrible history and still hired?

I am curious as to what kind of people out there have been hired with checkered pasts. This can be anything including...drugs, alcohol, credit, violence...etc.

This doesnt have to be you, if you know someone with a bad past I want to hear about it! I have nothing against firefighters with a checkered past, mine is not squeaky clean either. I am just curious.

thanks for posting

Forum Member

Take a look at Mount Vernon NY's latest recruits. One had 14 prior felony arrests. One was thrown out of the academy for threatening the life of another firefighter. These two are still on the job and are getting in house training in lew of the academy. So it really is up to the hiring department. What sort of checkered past are we talking about. If it was something minor that you can explain like "hey i was arrested for public drunkenness when i was in high school" they might look past that. If say you have a DWI last year they might look down on that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man I love how ******bags like that are still able to get hired. Doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting my time at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

In 1998, an off duty sheriff's deputy was convicted in a fatal hit and run accident. He was reportedly going 60 mph in a 30 mph zone with his headlights off, and he admitted he was driving drunk.

Then, in 2006, HE WAS HIRED BY ROCHESTER, MN!!!

I don't know about you, but this story had me more than a little ****ed.

Forum Member

wow, thats some good stuff so far. The dept. Im on now allows you to have a DUI if it was more than 5 years ago.

Driving under the influence varies between cities and departments. Some will hire you if you have had a DUI, some wont if you have ever had a DUI.

How do background investigators deal with people who admit to drinking and driving, but dont have any DUI's? Is that enough to get you eliminated?

Forum Member

Right now I'd say the hiring process is to the point where no one gets hurt by who they area. As in blacks, women, and other groups traditionally "left out" of the fire service aren't getting cast away with no reason. But the only discrimination in the system that seems to be left, is who you are giving you an unfair advantage. As in someone with a political hook, someone who is needed to boost the depts stats, etc.

Forum Member

Default Elimination

Hose....As an Ex-Background Investigator....I would give my findings to a Deputy Chief and HE made the final decision and gave it to the Chief. My only input would be my report....Background Investigators do not make the final call.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information