MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladder Driver SOPs

I am looking for a check list or SOP stating the qualifications and requirements one must must to be ladder operator. The reason I ask is our departments guidelines for operating our quint are far too lax. The higher ups reasoning is "well it has to just get out the door." The flaws in this mind set are obvious. I have proposed using "red books" or training sheets that must be completed before one can be released to drive. Unfortunately I don't even know where to start, I'm basically starting from scratch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

Forum Member

If you bought a Quint, I'd say your driver should be able to pump (whatever standards your dept uses to measure that). After all, if you let guys drive the Quint that can't operate a pump, why did you spend the extra money on a Quint vs. a straight truck?

You obviously need to have basic driving skills (something you can borrow from your Engine driver training). They should have basic ladder operator skills, (know about placement, limitations of the stick, how to set up elevated master stream ops), have pump operator knowledge (such as how to use a pump, on a quint they should know why there is a platform for the pump operator).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorthendTruckin View Post
    I am looking for a check list or SOP stating the qualifications and requirements one must must to be ladder operator. The reason I ask is our departments guidelines for operating our quint are far too lax. The higher ups reasoning is "well it has to just get out the door." The flaws in this mind set are obvious. I have proposed using "red books" or training sheets that must be completed before one can be released to drive. Unfortunately I don't even know where to start, I'm basically starting from scratch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Other than you are listed in Virginia, I don't know which department you are associated with.

There are departments across the state that have "ladder" trucks. Having said that, you probably can ask one or more of them for their SOP's for their members.

Richmond, Norfolk, Fairfax probably run more "ladders" than all others. Chesterfield, Roanoke, Henrico would also be a good place to contact.

The VA Department of Fire Programs had courses for Ladder Trucks, Engine Operators standards that you or your department could get too.

There are a lot of information within the Commonwealth that you can seek.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Since you are in Virginia, I would start with the VDFP Aerial Driver/Operator certification course and go from there. Since it's a quint, you could certainly add the VDFP Pumper Driver/Operator certification too. Both courses also require the appropriate class of EVOC as a prerequisite and, I believe, Firefighter I.

If you prefer to develop an 'in house' program, it's easy enough to get the course materials for both courses mentioned above and use it as a template for your own course. That way, you are at least using a nationally accepted standard as a guideline for your own course.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    Since you are in Virginia, I would start with the VDFP Aerial Driver/Operator certification course and go from there. Since it's a quint, you could certainly add the VDFP Pumper Driver/Operator certification too. Both courses also require the appropriate class of EVOC as a prerequisite and, I believe, Firefighter I.

If you prefer to develop an 'in house' program, it's easy enough to get the course materials for both courses mentioned above and use it as a template for your own course. That way, you are at least using a nationally accepted standard as a guideline for your own course.
    I was going to say that since you are from Va, why not send your drivers to MFRI's Driver/Operator classes for both pumpers and aerials (separate classes.) Upon completion you come out of the class with a IFSAC/Pro-Board Certificate.

I would also recommend Pumps I and II, as well as any aerial operator/device classes. Truck Company operations also always helps- knowing what the tactical objectives are will help the driver and company officer to place the unit to gain maximum efficiency of the aerial device itself.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information