Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Turnout Gear narrative

Is there anyone out there that has had a successful AFG grant? We have applied for PPE for 4 years now and have been turned down for 4 years. We have made it past the computer for 4 years but can not get past the peer review. I guess that we don't sound pathetic enough to be awarded. Our numbers are great, We just need help on the narrative. We would accept any help.

Forum Member

E-mail me your narrative you used last year.
    I'll read over it and suggest changes..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jspires1 View Post
    Is there anyone out there that has had a successful AFG grant? We have applied for PPE for 4 years now and have been turned down for 4 years. We have made it past the computer for 4 years but can not get past the peer review. I guess that we don't sound pathetic enough to be awarded. Our numbers are great, We just need help on the narrative. We would accept any help.
    jspires - It's hard to email you a sucessful narrative without your email address!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

Likewise, if you give us your email address. I will send you two funded PPE narratives that I have.

Would be happy to help as well. Just need to know where to send info to. You can access my e-mail by clicking on my SN or you can send directly to theallisonfamily@sbcglobal.net

Forum Member

Sorry, Here is my email address jspires1@verizon.net.

MembersZone Subscriber

sent you one.

Forum Member

mine too. Got it in August.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default confused

We have had about the same luck applying for PPE. 2007 made it to the last round before the dear john. 2008 didnít make it past the computer. We would appreciate a look at a successful PPE narrative. Thanks for any help.
    danwill@jamadots.com

Forum Member

would love to have a look at any winning gear narratives! Rico19891129@gmail.com going to try and do a total replace with the gear we have and equip the 12 that do not have any!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Any help would be great

We are going to apply for new bunker gear (25 sets) and EMS PPE. If anyone willing to foward winning narratives that would be great. My email address is fitzwilliamfire@webryders.net. We have gotten 2 grants one in 2005 - air packs and compressor/fill station and one in 2007 - tanker. I would be glad to send these out if anyone is looking for them. Thanks again for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by deputyfiremtn View Post
    We are going to apply for new bunker gear (25 sets) and EMS PPE.
    We tried last year and were told that Non-affiliated EMS organizations do not qualify for PPE. I felt our narrative was strong and explained that we are also responsible for rescue/extrication in our service area.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also like to receive any successful turnout gear narratives. Particularly looking for narratives for Wildland PPE. Much THANKS in advance!

firefighter2co@hotmail.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by prnancoz View Post
    We tried last year and were told that Non-affiliated EMS organizations do not qualify for PPE. I felt our narrative was strong and explained that we are also responsible for rescue/extrication in our service area.
    Who told you that? Of course you don't qualify for structural PPE (NFPA 1971 style) if you don't handle fire-rescue, you need to be asking for USAR PPE (NFPA 1951) or EMS PPE (NFPA 1999). Lots of both get awarded every year.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prnancoz View Post
    You have to ask for ems specific gear that meets the BBP standards. I was awarded 40 sets a couple of years ago. You just don't want to do like I did and ask for all of the options and get your request cut by 25%. I ended up with rescue helmet W/goggles, BBP rated coat, no liner. BBP rated pants no suspenders, and bbp rated duty boots.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    You have to ask for ems specific gear that meets the BBP standards. I was awarded 40 sets a couple of years ago. You just don't want to do like I did and ask for all of the options and get your request cut by 25%. I ended up with rescue helmet W/goggles, BBP rated coat, no liner. BBP rated pants no suspenders, and bbp rated duty boots.
    Do you recall what did you get awarded per item?
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Who told you that? Of course you don't qualify for structural PPE (NFPA 1971 style) if you don't handle fire-rescue, you need to be asking for USAR PPE (NFPA 1951) or EMS PPE (NFPA 1999). Lots of both get awarded every year.
    We are a EMS agency that is responsible for EMS and rescue (specifically vehicle extrication). We asked for USAR PPE. The reason given for the rejection was that non-affliated EMS agencies do not qualify for PPE.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In the denial letter or talking to someone? If both that's bull since we've gotten a lot of folks funded for PPE as non-affiliated EMS/Rescue squads. Only ones that can't are standalone rescue that don't transport patients since they're ineligible applicants.

Banned

I had put in for 10 sets of gear one year, along with 30 pairs of leather boots so that all would have a good set of boots. The boot got cut to 10 and the TO was cut to 5. I believe the feeling is TO gear is something you need to plan for and budget for each year. At that time we were looking for replacement gear.

Since then a funny thing happened. We were able to successfully recruit some new people such that our membership went form 30 to 50. Good news bad news. God news is we have a lot of new people with interest and ready to train. Bad news is they have no gear. In years past we would discuss what we needed. This year is a no brainer. Hopefully we can score high enough to get these guys and gals some gear.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's why they have that section for # with no gear since not having any outscores having old.

Thread Information