MembersZone Subscriber

Default SF Bay Area Paramedic School

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking about paramedic school but I don't know too many people that have graduated from a bay area institution. If you attended one of the schools below or you've heard stuff about the schools below please comment your likes/dislikes, costs, schedule, would you attend that school again?, was it worth it?, which school is the best?, any tips you have, or if you know of any other Bay area paramedic schools please feel free to add. Thanks!

American River College
    California EMS Academy
    City College of San Francisco
    Emergency Training Services (Santa Cruz)
    Los Medanos College
    Westmed Training
    Last edited by dlatorre; 03-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Santa Rosa Junior College in Sonoma county:

http://www2.santarosa.edu/pages/publ.../paramedic.php

It's an excellent program with dedicated students which will prepare you very well. They have good clinical contracts and a good reputation.

Cost is around $2,500 and it takes under a year not including pre-reqs if everything goes right during your internship. Pre-reqs are anatomy, physiology and an arrhythmia class (they combine anat and physio into one class).

It's a tough academy with high standards but I felt very prepared for my internship and beyond.

I've only heard things second hand about a few of the schools you listed so take it with a grain of salt:

Westmed - I know someone attending this course and he mentioned some students were missing classes regularly. There is a requirement for how many hours you need to complete the course so I wonder how serious of a program this is. I think it costs as much as NCTI as well.

SF City college - a Berkeley FF/paramedic told our class that this program was gaining a good reputation by it's students during their internships.

Good luck feel free to hit me up for more info. Seems like we have alot of information to trade !

Forum Member

I would seriously consider American River College. Its a good school, its cheap and recently they have made a couple different variations to their normal program, like accelerated classes and other schedules to benefit people. The head guy that teaches it can be difficult(this is secondhand from others who have taken the course) but it doesn't make it not worth your while. You will save alot of money compared to some of the other places you could go, and you will still get a great education

MembersZone Subscriber

I forgot Napa Valley College as well. It's a new program run by a BC from Novato fire who seems to have a lot of respect. I haven't met him or looked into the program though.

MembersZone Subscriber

well I know its not in the bay area but its not to far way and they have a great paramedic program and one of the top fire programs in california. try checking out the college of the siskiyous www.siskiyous.edu
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Permanently Removed

Dont forget about NCTI in Sacramento- www.ncti-online.com/about_ncti.shtml

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate it.

Forum Member

EMSTI in Dublin is run by Fireman. There is also NCTI in Livermore. Both are great schools and worth the money. Good luck.

Thread Information