Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Real Scoop On Iraq Mission

I just sent my WSI application in and would like some info on what really goes on over there. I understand there is negatives, but that is every where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

well iam heading to houston on may 4th, but what my buddies told me when i go over there... " dont expect to do firefighting things every day" just think about the pay and youll be fine...

Forum Member

It is a great opportunity and the money is outstanding. You will be doing a very important job and getting paid very well. a dream come true in this economy
    Quote Originally Posted by arab816 View Post
    I just sent my WSI application in and would like some info on what really goes on over there. I understand there is negatives, but that is every where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TRMCC27, what part of HQ do you work in and what is your real name? It sounds like you don't have a clue what it's really like to be out in the field. I'm half way though my second year here. Yes, it's a great opportunity to make some very good money. Yes, we do have the ability to possibly do something worth while. That is we do a great job at prevention and drills. But in all reality, this isn't real firefighting at all. We over train and drill. Inspections haven't been fixing problems until very recently. If we try to do anything good for the military over here, we get reprimanded. For those interested, our day starts with a morning meeting, truck checks, breakfast, training/drills, lunch, inspections, maybe the gym if we have time( not always though), evening chow, paperwork, reports, then down time usually after 8 pm., go to sleep, wake up and repeat. Not bad for 6 figures, but not firefighting as most of us know it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 8.5%

Hazmat7
    My employee # was 12 what is yours?
    Donít get me wrong life as a Contract FF is boring I have been on 6 contracts and there all the SAME.
    Some good men, some good officers, some bad employees, and some bad officers. Living conditions vary from company to company.
    One should not be rude to another person on the web site as we all have very different ideas on what is proper and what is bad.
    TRMCC27 has a valid point in an economy where 8.5% of the population is out of work the WSI job is a good deal.
    And if 1 looks TRMCC has made 100 posts and you 1 now the question that comes to mind is R U a newbie or have you just changed you handle?
    No matter Please stay safe

Very good point Gary. I believe that I remember you, we met a time or two at Victory. I was in training. I am now headed back again.
    As you know, from day one there has always been negative people on this site. Some people just cant seem to grow up no matter how many vegetables and banannas you feed them. Most of the time they are just upset because they did not listen to what they were told they would be doing over there and then once they get over the shock of the big checks, they fall right in line with the other whiners.
    Anyway, how you been? Where you at now a days? You still building sand castles?

Forum Member

Default Gary Gary Gary Gary

Why is it that when someone puts something on here you always got something negative? Trying to compensate for something? I remember you would throw that number (12) up at the new guys that came in. And you impressed me how? With the amazing ability to tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet in a sand pit. As for hazmatt7 he does have a good point as the job he describes is right about on the money. With the one exception us Fallujah Boyz (meant to spell it that way) ALWAYS found the time to work out and really didn't care as to what the people in Baghdad thought about what were doing because we helped the military and did it in a way that no body got nailed. TRMCC27 can say what he wants. Anybody can go back and check the posts and make their own opinion however mislplaced it may be. And it don't matter how many times someone posts.

BAMA

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Gary,
    I don't mean to dump on the legacy that you left for the people still here. You said your SAP was 12 which means you aren't here now. It's changed so much that you wouldn't recognize it. We kill more trees now with worthless report after report. We have to justify everything we do, and are constantly treatened with our jobs. HQ continues to add layer after layer of management that manages by remote control. The conditions we have now are nothing like what you had to suffer through. I never lived in a tent and everywhere I've been, the incoming has been very infrequent. The job is what anyone makes it, be it positive or negative. It's hard to stay positive when HQ rips you a new one for doing what they told you to do in the first place. Hey Bama, heard your name a lot last year. Too bad they shut Fallujah down, had a lot of good people go through there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default children must play

I guess these threds will never be really worth reading with all the childishness that is placed on them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by garypoe4454 View Post
    I guess these threds will never be really worth reading with all the childishness that is placed on them
    You started it!!!!!!

BAMA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default no smack

no I did not start it a 3rd party did
    and by the way since you talk like you know me
    How are you and why HIDE behind a handle?
    I just love you guys there is all this GREAT smack talk and no 1 will use their real name.
    What a shame I am sure youíre an OK guy if 1 gets to know you and takes the time to understand you.
    Well as always to you all in Iraq stay safe and letís try to raise the bar on these threads.

Forum Member

no I did not start it a 3rd party did
    and by the way since you talk like you know me
    I just love you guys there is all this GREAT smack talk and no 1 will use their real name.
    What a shame I am sure youíre an OK guy if 1 gets to know you and takes the time to understand you.
    Well as always to you all in Iraq stay safe and letís try to raise the bar on these threads.
    WOW!!!!! You should know the name and know that it isn't a "handle". Anbybody that knows me knows that BAMA is my name seeing that it is the ONLY name I have been called since I can remember. If I put my real name on here NO ONE would have a clue. All the other Fallujah Boyz have answered me right back and I signed BAMA!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Haz, I think you about covered it pretty good. What site are you at?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bama2007

you were the cop, firefighter, EMT @B-3 right?

Forum Member

:
    :
    Gary, as you know... people can do ****ed up **** on here and destroy your name. That is why most people do not use the real name on ANY message board, make sense? You know first hand how it can cost you a job....
    Last edited by infusion; 06-30-2009 at 01:16 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default $$

oh yes wsi cost me 2 jobs and at least 180K

Default Still wouldn't trade it for the World!!

As much as I hated the year I spent working for that F'd up company, experiencing micro-management on a never before seen grand scale from Baghdad, tying the hands of site leadership, etc.

I wouldn't trade it for the World! I met some cool people (and some NOT so cool) I hated going through Baghdad every time on the way to and coming back from R&R's.
    It was not what I had expected it to be. Lots of babysitting, for sure! And lots of fire inspections!
    Any of you new guys wanting to head over there, (or heading over there) keep your expectations low, and I mean VERY low. Don't expect much actual firefighting, and don't expect much real training.
    When I was there, the trucks were very poorly maintained, and there were some guys who abused the equipment. So don't expect it to be a "top notch" department. Do as you are told, be where you are supposed to be, and don't expect too much.
    Don't expect the manning levels to be at 100% at all times on all trucks. Expect some trucks to sit idle, with guys getting days off (with no pay) so the company can increase their profits (despite the fact they are still getting paid while you aren't)
    Get used to a lot of changes. Just when you get used to things being done a certain way, someone from Baghdad (who's never been to your site) decides they want it done differently. So you start doing it that way. Then they change it again, and again, and again, and yet again.
    Expect to do a few stints in dispatch. Yeah, it sucks but everyone has to do it (except the officers)
    Things vary substantially from site to site. Some sites have cool SSL's to other SSL's that are total A-holes. Some SSL's are in it solely for themselves, and will throw you to the wolves faster than you can say WTF!?!?!
    When I was there, things were a lot hotter than they seem to be now. I saw things I'd rather not ever see again.
    But I still wouldn't trade it for anything in the World!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question

Hey guys I was wondering if you thought a guy could still get a year in WSI if he left in September.

MembersZone Subscriber

Garypoe .... only YOU cost yourself two jobs and 180k.

As far as WSI.... I was there March 2005-March 2006. I was there before all the BS you guys been talking about. I was one of 11 who started up WSI at Camp Stryker - D5 (August 2005-Januaury 2006. I also spent time at B6, TQ (March 2005-August 2005) and B4 Ramadi (January 2006-March 2006).

Our trucks held up pretty good, considering the conditions.

Met some great people and met some I rather forget but all in all I am glad I did the year there.

I was lucky to have cool SSL's too. Every SSL I had would make sure we got 6/16's or 7/16's. I made much more than the 90k I was promised too.

To any new guys still thinking of going over. Take the peoples advice who are there. On R&R's, go somewhere you never been on atleast one of them. I went to Greece for ten days during my second R&R.

So is anyone at Stryker? Please private message me with some pics of the place now. We were in tents when we started and Pod 10 was just about finished with cans for the troops when I was transfered to Ramadi for my last 68 days in country.

Thanks

Thread Information