Forum Member

Cool Tax Free Overseas Jobs

Hello gentlemen, I have a few questions about Firefighter positions overseas.

1.) I was wondering where the best/safest place to work is? (Other than Iraq and Afghanistan)

2.) Where can I make the most money tax-free? (80K+ a year)

3.) I am debating whether or not to go to Paramedic school in the fall or just make some money overseas first. Any advice?

My qualifications are: Bachelors in Sociology, CA FF 1 completion, and currently working as an EMT in Oakland. I live in San Francisco and would love to afford a down payment on a house but it looks like overseas firefighting is my best chance of affording my dream. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody

Regards,

John

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post

1.) I was wondering where the best/safest place to work is? (Other than Iraq and Afghanistan)

3.) I am debating whether or not to go to Paramedic school in the fall or just make some money overseas first. Any advice?

My qualifications are: Bachelors in Sociology, CA FF 1 completion, and currently working as an EMT in Oakland. I live in San Francisco and would love to afford a down payment on a house but it looks like overseas firefighting is my best chance of affording my dream. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody

Regards,

John
    well i dont know too much about oversea jobs but there is A LOT of information in this section on Firehouse.

but i do believe you need either ifsac or dod certs.. ff1, ff2, haz/mat ops. I think for most positions you will also need 2-3 years of FF experience.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post

Regards,

John
    as a general rule, the safer and bester a place is to work, the less the pay is. you get paid a lot when people want to kill you where you are working.
    if you don't want to go to Iraq, your not going to make over $80k a year, bottom line, end of story.
    only you can decide if your better off going to medic school and improving your hire ability and pay, or go somewhere you probably won't do much for a year.

Forum Member

h20 - you back home or what. im over in afghanistan now.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Forum Member

Default overseas

Hello,

I just recently got out the military and is looking forwarded to heading overseas. But the problem im having is locating companies that are hiring. If anyone knows get me a email at [email]darrys00@hotmail.com....
    thanks and stay safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by surfingpirates View Post
    h20 - you back home or what. im over in afghanistan now.
    hey i just got out the military and im tryin to get hired overseas..U got any suggestions or what process did u take to get hired...well u can contact me at darrys00@hotmail.com thanks and stay safe

Worldwide Menace

Just for your information... anything over $80,000 is taxed, despite being in the tax free zone.

-Damien

Forum Member

It is actually the first 91K
    Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Just for your information... anything over $80,000 is taxed, despite being in the tax free zone.

-Damien

Forum Member

Exclamation Wrong again

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post

-Damien
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcc27 View Post
    Actually both of you are wrong. Know what you are talking about before you post up inaccurate information.

2007 is 85,700
    2008 is 87,600
    2009 is 91,400

I suggest to all of you, and most importantly to the ones that think they know what they are talking about, get a EXPAT CPA that deals with this every day. One of the best, that NUMEROUS people use.. http://palazzocpa.com If you don’t have an EXPAT CPA, do not just browse by this llink and forget about it… trust me. At least listen to what he has to say when looking for a good Expat cpa… all the info you need is on his website.

From the above website. http://palazzocpa.com

Q: How can I claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

A: You must have Foreign Earned Income; your Tax Home must be in a Foreign Country and meet one of the qualifying tests. There are two types of qualifying tests for Expats: The Physical Presence Test and the Bona Fide Residence Test. The most common test for Expats on contract assignments is the Physical Presence Test. The physical presence test requires you to spend a full 330 days overseas during a 12-month period and not be in the US for more than 35 days during that same 12 months. The Bona Fide residence test is a little more restrictive. Your intent must be to work overseas indefinitely and make your permanent tax home and quarters in a foreign location. Questions of bona fide residence are determined according to each individual case; therefore you should consult an Expat CPA to see if you qualify.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by trmcc27 View Post
    2009 is 91,400

Seems like he is pretty accurate to me

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I'll 2nd the motion

I would have to agree with the us of the Palazzo Tax people. I've used them for my last two returns and they make it super duper easy. For 2008 my only income was expat income and I'm still going to some money back. Blows my mind.

Forum Member

Question ?

How is 91K inaccurate? Your information is correct and more descriptive but there is no need to jump on people. Thanks for posting the details they will be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by infusion View Post
    Actually both of you are wrong. Know what you are talking about before you post up inaccurate information.

2007 is 85,700
    2008 is 87,600
    2009 is 91,400

I suggest to all of you, and most importantly to the ones that think they know what they are talking about, get a EXPAT CPA that deals with this every day. One of the best, that NUMEROUS people use.. http://palazzocpa.com If you don’t have an EXPAT CPA, do not just browse by this llink and forget about it… trust me. At least listen to what he has to say when looking for a good Expat cpa… all the info you need is on his website.

From the above website. http://palazzocpa.com

Q: How can I claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

A: You must have Foreign Earned Income; your Tax Home must be in a Foreign Country and meet one of the qualifying tests. There are two types of qualifying tests for Expats: The Physical Presence Test and the Bona Fide Residence Test. The most common test for Expats on contract assignments is the Physical Presence Test. The physical presence test requires you to spend a full 330 days overseas during a 12-month period and not be in the US for more than 35 days during that same 12 months. The Bona Fide residence test is a little more restrictive. Your intent must be to work overseas indefinitely and make your permanent tax home and quarters in a foreign location. Questions of bona fide residence are determined according to each individual case; therefore you should consult an Expat CPA to see if you qualify.

Forum Member

Default Good idea

Heck yeah it always pays to use someone who knows the playing field. From what I hear this guy is really good and well worth the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassviking View Post
    I would have to agree with the us of the Palazzo Tax people. I've used them for my last two returns and they make it super duper easy. For 2008 my only income was expat income and I'm still going to some money back. Blows my mind.

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

He's close enough to answer a GENERIC question about Firefighting overseas. Your information is really helpful but the original question wasn't asking for specific answers. If this was an accounting forum then you can jump on people for being 400 off. Just because 1 person didnt know the answer doesn't make him a chump. Most of us here are firefighters..not CPA's

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by infusion View Post
    Notice the key word BOTH, as in BOTH of you are wrong. The chump before you was 11,400 dollars off.
    Sorry if my info was a little dated, Chump. I haven't been over there (with the military) in a few years.. My info came from other people.

-Damien

Thread Information