+ Reply to Thread
    Permanently Removed

Default Volunteer police?

Why isnt ther volunteer police?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly3 View Post
    0/10 on the troll scale.

There are tons of them in jurisdictions as large as the NYPD. You just don't see them because they're all considered police.

Novel concept, treating each as equals....

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

A nearby county has a large contingency of volunteer police: Chesterfield Auxiliary Police.

Regardless, obviously a troll post.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    0/10 on the troll scale.

There are tons of them in jurisdictions as large as the NYPD. You just don't see them because they're all considered police.

Novel concept, treating each as equals....
    Equal training, and continuing education, to boot.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

But I keep seeing the words "reserve" and "auxiliary" associated with these volunteer police officers. This would lead me to believe that they are not necessarily used for front-line patrol duties and such, but rather for "security" details.

Depends on the area.
    In most areas, it just means they arent paid. Everything else is the same.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    But I keep seeing the words "reserve" and "auxiliary" associated with these volunteer police officers. This would lead me to believe that they are not necessarily used for front-line patrol duties and such, but rather for "security" details.
    As said above me..depends on the area... some places keep them as just auxiliary units and some have them out on patrol. Around here they are along side officers all the time, working at the jail, out on patrol, etc...

Point was they exist and OPs attempt at bashing Volunteer departments has once again been a big failure.

Why are you an *********?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER95Z View Post
    As said above me..depends on the area... some places keep them as just auxiliary units and some have them out on patrol. Around here they are along side officers all the time, working at the jail, out on patrol, etc...

Point was they exist and OPs attempt at bashing Volunteer departments has once again been a big failure.
    Yeah, there was probably a bit of a shot at them with the post. I'm assuming the intent was to contrast volunteerism between the FD and PD.

My point was that there may be volunteer police officers, but the examples offered come across more as a "supplimental" force for "details" rather than as a front-line responder to a 911 call.

There may be some out there actually performing "front-line" duties, but they appear to be the exception rather than rule whereas the use of volunteer FFs for front-line duties is commonplace.

So, to continue my point, it's hard to equate the use of these "supplimental" police volunteers with the use of volunteer firefighters.

Forum Member

Yeah, there was probably a bit of a shot at them with the post. I'm assuming the intent was to contrast volunteerism between the FD and PD.

My point was that there may be volunteer police officers, but the examples offered come across more as a "supplimental" force for "details" rather than as a front-line responder to a 911 call.

There may be some out there actually performing "front-line" duties, but they appear to be the exception rather than rule whereas the use of volunteer FFs for front-line duties is commonplace.

So, to continue my point, it's hard to equate the use of these "supplimental" police volunteers with the use of volunteer firefighters.
    Good points.

I don't know where others are coming up with "volunteer" police, or "reserve" police as being equal to the regular force, save for the salary.
    To be a police officer here requires a 23 week recruit school. How many "reserve" police will be able to go thru that?

The original poster clearly intended their post to be antagonistic, but so what. Don't let the bum get under your skin, especially on this site.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I don't know where others are coming up with "volunteer" police, or "reserve" police as being equal to the regular force, save for the salary.
    To be a police officer here requires a 23 week recruit school. How many "reserve" police will be able to go thru that?

The original poster clearly intended their post to be antagonistic, but so what. Don't let the bum get under your skin, especially on this site.
    Just as an FYI.. here is the training requirements for the local reserves here..

Training
    Reserve Officers are required to complete a minimum of 150 hours of training per chapter 80D of the Code of Iowa. In addition they receive a minimum of 40 hours of weapons training, ILEA trained and certified instructors provide these classes locally and through educational facilities. Reserves also receive training through the FTO program under the supervision of the full time Deputies. Additional training is offered through Annual Reserve Law Officers Seminars and Conferences, the Red Cross, Emergency Management and other professional organizations. Classes are based on the same training that the full-time Deputies receive at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) and cover a range of topics including Crisis Intervention, Domestic Abuse, Accident Investigation, OWI, Motor Vehicle Law, and Laws of Arrest. Attendance at monthly training meetings is required.
    Though... I guess this makes the same point...Volunteer Fire Departments don't often require the same training that a paid city department does either but they still have to do the same job. In that aspect a volunteer fire department is not equal to a paid fire department either. (No way to make a real apples to apples comparison between LEOs and Firefighters here though)

Originally Posted by plugugly3
    Originaly Posted by FWDBuff
    Why are you an *********?
    All of is posts are crap.. it's the one thing he does well!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

There are - but when they see you coming they hide because they don't want to take your application. They figure if you weren't good enough for the Fire Service, you most likely are not good enough for them.

There ARE volunteer police they're just called reserves or auxiliary..
    Albuquerque Police Explorer.

In process of joining Bernalillo County Fire Explorers.

Future Albuquerque Fire Department hopeful..

Thread Information