Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Cosmas wildland fire boots

This will be my first season on a line, and I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations on boots? I've been looking at the Cosmas Hercules Hotshots they are said to be extermely comfortable, and a mix between mountaneering boots and wildland firefighting boots. Does anyone out there wear these?

I do not wear them. I wear Nick's boots out of Spokane, Wa. I love them.

Jeff
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

I have worn Red Wings, Chippewa, and Whites. Hated the Red wings, Loved the Chip's, and stil breaking in the Whites. All i can say is try Before you buy, I wore a 14 in the Redwings, a 12 In the Chippewa, and i have a 11 EE Whites this year.( My foots Shrinking! ) If you have to live in them, take the time to try them and others out.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Whatever you get make sure you try them on with the socks you will be wearing them with. I have a pair of chippewa's that I love, but are very uncomfortable to wear with anything but thin socks because I tried them on with thin socks.

Forum Member

Whatever you do dont go cheap on boots. They will literally make or break your experience. Whites, Nicks, and westcos are the way to go, Whites being the best in my opinion. Worth the extra money

Beware of the mountaineering type boots (La Sportiva, Asolo, etc.) as the soles are glued on to the boot, and if the boots are exposed to enough heat, the soles will start becoming unglued. But I hear they are very comfortable regardless.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapinjoe View Post
    Whatever you do dont go cheap on boots. They will literally make or break your experience. Whites, Nicks, and westcos are the way to go, Whites being the best in my opinion. Worth the extra money
    many many loggers on the west coast also wear whites and from hearing their first hand accounts i dont know if there are too many other ways to go.

Whites are good boots. i use Nick's boots which is and old bootmaker from whites that did not like the way the company way going. Effectively same boot with better customer service in my opinion.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

I have worn Nick's, Sportiva's, and now Scarpa's, and the mountaineering boots are very comfy. I have talked with a lot of guys, and its all personal preference. Just watch your footing and stay out of a hotspot and you'll be fine. There is a rumor flying around that FS is talking about banning the mountaineering style. I am not trying to spread a rumor, just hoping someone could answer it?
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

The rumor here is affirmative!

wow, what has been passed down to you guy's? Has any rulings been posted in regards to what styles are approved, or why the justification is? What about the guidelines regarding the boots only needing to be 8 inches high, leather, lug sole? If there is any information you have, I would love to get it. Thanks.
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Thread Information