Forum Member

Default building resume and experience

Hi all,

Im testing to get onto a few fire depatments in my area and a few across the country.

First question, what else can I do to be more desirabe. Currently own my own business restoring old houses, also enrolled and starting my EMT class at nights and on the weekend, signed up for a volly position, but not sure if I will get in. Have a BS in business, was captain of a sports team in college, was on Search and Rescue in H.S. River guide, etc

Second Q..Physically I am a cyclist, been training for 4 years, a few months ago I changed my training to focus on FF training, bought a weight vest, been doing stair stepper, pull ups and push ups with the vest on, then running and going through a pretty thorough workout. Anything else I should focus on for that potential/eventual academy?

Third Q..The tests that I have taken so far are the FireTeam and the I/O solutions. Both scores were in the mid to upper 70's which is terrible as far as Im concerned. I believe that Im intelligent enough, I do well on the mechanincal aptitude and general knowledge questions but poorly on the psychological section. How can I get my head around this section, I believe that I overanalyze these types of questions.

Thanks for the help,

Future Brother

Forum Member

You're on the right track. Just reading your post I can tell you really want the job. An oral board should see it too. As far as your last concern about the psychological tests, I think you answered your own question; you may be over-analyzing the problem. Approach every aspect of the testing process with a calmness and confidence that is genuine. In other words, relax. Also, answer all questions truthfully -- be yourself -- don't promote a superman that doesn't exist. The oral boards will see past the smoke and mirrors and know what your up to. If they can't see your true character, they won't hire you, no matter how much education you have. Be confident in who you are and keep pursuing your dream.

Good Luck,
    Rob Bieber
    www.firewerxfilms.com

Forum Member

Default Stair workout

You asked about physical fitness. What you are doing is great. wearing a weight vest and doing a stair machine has a direct connection to the firefighters job. However, I challenge you to go one step further; find a high-rise building and climb the stairs wearing your weight vest. (You may need permission). It may not seem so, but there is a difference between the stair machine and climbing stairs in a building. The most significant factor is psychological. I won't go into detail here, but try it and see if you notice the difference.

A few years ago I filmed a recruit class doing high-rise training. They were loaded with 70 pounds of gear and climbed 30 flights of stairs -- in just a few minutes. Then they set up a 200 foot attack line (2 1/2" hose), advanced the charged line through the building and fought a simulated fire; followed by a firefighter rescue on the 44 floor. You get a brief view of that in the trailer of this film - "A Firefighter's Journey" A good part of the movie is devoted to this high-rise exercise.

In summary, it doesn't appear that you need to do any more, but every candidate needs to build that edge. And doing the stairs may give you that edge.

Good luck on your journey!

Rob Bieber
    www.firewerxfilms.com

Forum Member

Default thank you

Rob,

Thank you for the tips. The real stair climb is my next "step" if you will. There are a couple buildings downtown that would do the trick.

testing testing testing...........

hh

Forum Member

Building resume and experience

Hummm, let me ponder that thought...

For the experience part, handing out matches to 7th graders is a good start.

Building a resume? Bring the matches along with a gas can to: (PM me) Saturday, Tuesday and Friday. I'll give you a good letter of recommendation.

All kidding aside, your on the right track, better than most.

I have no idea on the psychological part, never understood what purpose it served. Lots of stupid questions with no correct answer, it does however, wipe out allot of good guys.

Thread Information