Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default MIAMI Testing For Out Of State Applicants

Like so many, I recently applied for the Miami firefighter position. According to the original requirements that I read, it stated only "High school diploma or GED. Must be 18 years of age at time of application" (click link below and type in firefighter to see original posting).

https://exterd.miamidade.gov/psc/GUE...AYPLAN_WEB.GBL

I live in North Carolina, and am scheduled to take the test on 4/15. The problem I discoverd is that the Miami Fire Department website states completely different requirements (click link below).

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/Fire/pages/Firefighter.asp

I called the employment office and they confirmed the requirements on the website stating you must reside within the corporate limits of Miami-Dade County at the time of application, and up to the time of hire (unless currently a City employee), applicants must submit a valid Florida Driverís License (Class E or higher) at time of application, and must be a current State of Florida Certified Emergency Medical Technician.

Needless to say I don't qualify for any of those requirements, but they still scheduled a test for me. They told me that I don't qualify for the position if I don't meet those requirements (obviously), even though I have a valid North Carolina Driver's License, and I am a North Carolina Certified EMT.

So for all you out of state applicants, you might want to call Miami's employment office, (305) 416-2170, before you make the trip down there.

If anyone finds out, or knows, anything different, please post it here.
    Last edited by bdharts; 03-31-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member

Default Alittle Help!!

Quickly re-read over your post and you'll find your problem. You applied at the recent Miami-Dade COUNTY position in which you listed the link first. Then you go on and list a second link which is for the CITY of Miami. Im assuming you must have copied a phone number off of the City's website also?

The County is the one you want, with the 18 years of age, GED or Diploma. I have my written/audio on the 15th also. I hope this helps and see ya there. Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Firemed08, stupid mistake on my part. Do you know how many applicants there are for Miami?

Forum Member

No idea, i would imagine alot though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hey

i have my test on the 15th also, did you know you have to go to that college down there to take there entrance test acually it 2 different colleges you have to go to just a fyi i called the college and they said it had to be done in person.

Forum Member

From what I understand you have take a Placement test once you get the "unconditional" job offer, so they can place you in the academy...i may be wrong..but from my understanding that doesnt take place until later on in the process.

Forum Member

Out of state tester here too. Im coming from Austin, TX. I called today and im scheduled for the morning on the 15th. I didnt write the address down and now the damn website is down though so i cant get the address. im trying to find a hotel near the testing site. Im sure it'll be up tomorrow. Hopefully plane tickets dont go up by tomorrow.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am scheduled to test April 21st. Advice on test prep from anyone?

Any idea when the CPAT will be scheduled for those who pass the audio/written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Question out of stater

so you have to call in to get your test date? i filled an application out havent heard anything but just saw this posting. where do i get the number to call in

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the info straight from MDFR:

Those who have applied must access www.miamidade.gov/erd/test or call (305) 375-0297 (option 2) between Monday, March 30, 2009 and Sunday, April 12, 2009 to obtain location, date, and time for the required audio/written test.

MembersZone Subscriber

just an FYI for all taking the test. "Just heard the Chief of Miami-Dade today talk of the same thing..Layoffs and possible reductions in the response to emergencies". Just seen this on a different forum just want to let everyone know what was going on. I'm am not sure what that means for this hiring process but i am sure it will affect it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker1384 View Post
    i have my test on the 15th also, did you know you have to go to that college down there to take there entrance test acually it 2 different colleges you have to go to just a fyi i called the college and they said it had to be done in person.
    For those of you who took the exam yesterday, how was it?

Forum Member

I just took the test yesterday morning..I personally thought it was very very easy, especially the audio. I didnt have any question on the test that i had to second guess myself. The proctor in the beginning also states that they will be testing the whole month of March, so dont plan on calling for results till the end of May. I think there were approx. 500 seats and it seemed to me 1/4 to 1/2 didnt even show for my testing session.

Also just an opinion of mine....its been made very clear multiple times that you should not bring your cell phone into the testing facility, nor even to the test, yet I realized multiple people were standing in line chatting around on the cell phones...??? It even came down to the proctors made a special line for people who had cell phones so they could "register" their phones so after the test they could pick them back up. At what point do the enforce "following directions"????

Anywho...yeah I thought it was cake..and there really isnt anything to study or prepare yourself for. GOOD LUCK!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemed08 View Post
    I just took the test yesterday morning..I personally thought it was very very easy, especially the audio. I didnt have any question on the test that i had to second guess myself. The proctor in the beginning also states that they will be testing the whole month of March, so dont plan on calling for results till the end of May. I think there were approx. 500 seats and it seemed to me 1/4 to 1/2 didnt even show for my testing session.

Also just an opinion of mine....its been made very clear multiple times that you should not bring your cell phone into the testing facility, nor even to the test, yet I realized multiple people were standing in line chatting around on the cell phones...??? It even came down to the proctors made a special line for people who had cell phones so they could "register" their phones so after the test they could pick them back up. At what point do the enforce "following directions"????

Anywho...yeah I thought it was cake..and there really isnt anything to study or prepare yourself for. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for the response. Glad to hear you did well, I hope I feel the same after tomorrow. Math is the only area I wonder how much of it I will recall since college.

As for the cell phones, I'm surprised they actually "registered" them for anyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

I tested this morning. It was as reported, it consisted of the fundamentals. I prepared with a prep book that was much more difficult.

A procter told me that 9,412 tests had been scheduled for the month. I can concur that about 1/4 of the seats were empty out of roughly 500 although whether that was planned or people just missed it I don't know.

Yes, people forgot and brought their cell phones.

I hope the CPAT goes as easily for me but I am preparing as much as I can regardless.

Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

I also took my test on the 15th and thought it was very easy. Does anyone know if it's pass/fail or are they only bringing back a certain percentage? As for the CPAT, it's so easy. If you are worried about the CPAT then you really need to start getting in shape. I'm coming from California and it kind of sucks that I have to fly all the way back to take a CPAT when I already have a valid one. Oh well. Good luck. Wow 9000 people to take the test...

MembersZone Subscriber

No, the test is not pass/fail. Based on the results they have a cut off point and everyone above it comes back for the cpat.

Forum Member

Got my results, says im qualified. Too bad it doesnt show an actual ranking. Hopefully i'll be ready for the cpat. Been hitting the gym strong.

Forum Member

I qualified too. Ranking does not matter. They go by "categories" ie. ff, ff/emt, ff/medic, no certs ect. As far as the C-PAT I hope it is soon, I hate the waiting game. You could have passed with a low score...it still does not matter. I hear they are high on people with certs though.

Forum Member

I also qualified, now the wait to see what info if any comes down. CPAT is easy guys, no indication of what the academy will be like, way to easy for someone to guage how well in shape they are. Any clue as to the steps in the process?

MembersZone Subscriber

Finally some results. How did you receive it? Mail or email? It doesn't give a score but it says you're qualified?
    Last edited by gilday; 06-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Forum Member

The website says I qualified and now I got some weird email in my spam folder that says I didnt. Anyone get the same thing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    The website says I qualified and now I got some weird email in my spam folder that says I didnt. Anyone get the same thing?
    Yes, I received the same email in my inbox. I called into HR and I was told that there has been an error. Emails were automatically generated that were not correct and they are currently working on the problem.

Directly from the website:

Important Notice: If you received an automated message on either June 2 or June 3 from Miami-Dade County regarding your application for employment, please disregard it. This email was sent in error as part of routine system maintenance.
    Last edited by gilday; 06-04-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I just got the same email. I dont know what to think right now. Im qualified but email says no. I can only hope this is an error.

Forum Member

Yes as all of the rest of you, I was first told I am qualified, and early this morning I recieved an email stating I am not moving on in the process. I emailed them back and was told to call them. They assured me it was a mistake and that it will be fixed.

Correct me if I am wrong....after reviewing the MDFR website, it states that once a class has been scheduled then they will start notifying people (veterans first) about the next step. So this sounds like it will be quite awhile, unless they have alot of openings already and planned on making a class or two in the next month or so....

Does anyone have any idea on when and how many classes they usually run??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information