Forum Member

Default Charleston County-Awendaw District FD

Anybody know anything about this department.

Apparently they are taking applications until April 3rd.

Although it says they pay $7.50/hr....is that right??

https://jobsweb.charlestoncounty.org...ine/index.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apply for James Island instead

I worked for Charleston County EMS in '08(good riddance, that place is f***** up), and we shared quaters at M11 with the Awendaw FD. A probie told me that he was earning in the low 20's, so the hourly salary you posted seems accurate. They don't do FLSA, so your hourly overtime will be at a lower rate, and your paycheck amount will vary greatly from period to period. Medical coverage sucks compared to the North, with the $750 deductible(for a family), and all. I think that it's one of those depts. that will hire you without any experience, then require you to attain ff1&2 within a certain amount of time. The ff's seemed cool initially, but like to talk s*** behind your back when you're not around(bless their hearts... lol). There's a lot of office politics to deal with, as well. It's an extremely slow department. The busiest station is in Mount Pleasant (with M11). The funny thing about that area is that Mt. Pleasant incorporared all of the wealthy areas, but left certain pockets in their district to awendaw, that were of lower socioeconomic status. I don't know how they get away with that. I've listened to several of their incidents on radio, and it just seems like a cluster****. Staffing is 1-2 per piece, tops. Station two smells like crap due to the sulphur water supply. If you want to work for the county, put in for James Island. I ran a lot of calls with them when I was on M4. They're cool as ****, and they're on top of their game, as well. You can probably do better financially by applying to Georgetown, Charleston, N. Charleston, Colleton Co. Dorchester Co. Berkeley Co. or Myrtle Beach. At M11 there is a Lt. that fed me a line of bs that he was a fire chief for Atlanta, and now works as a medic for CC(I can't see that, as it would be beneath someone of his stature, unless he did something really screwed up in Atl). Watch out for him, as he seems to derive pleasure in screwing others. Get your ff1&2, then apply for depts in MD/DC/NOVA, or federally at www.usajobs.gov. Please forgive my NY bluntness. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information