Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Norwalk

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Norwalk

Hey I am a firefighter in Orlando I just signed up for the norwalk test I just cant find the info on the Norwalk work schedule i found something that said it was a 42 hour work week but i dont know how it works can anyone help?

They have a rotating schedule 3 days on, 3 off, 3 nights on, 3 off and so on. It's like a 10 hour day shift and a 14 hour night shift.

Forum Member

No. They work 2 days on 1 day off, 2 nights on 3 days off. 42 hr. week, roughly 10 hr days 14 hr nights.

Yeah you're right, sorry.

Forum Member

The application said they take the top 50 after all testing is done and that is the list. Any idea how long it takes them to go through the list? I believe it said the list last two years so can all 50 realistically expect to be hired?

Forum Member

Default are you training for your CPAT

The cpat can be brutal

Forum Member

ya im prepping for it. been working with the weighted vest, trying to build up my cardio/stamina as well. ive never taken a cpat before, have you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    ya im prepping for it. been working with the weighted vest, trying to build up my cardio/stamina as well. ive never taken a cpat before, have you?
    No, it will be my first. I only hear tough things about it. I am also working on my cardio.

Forum Member

Default Cpat

Quote Originally Posted by gilnorwalk View Post
    No, it will be my first. I only hear tough things about it. I am also working on my cardio.

check out this link, i know it's not for norwalk, but it may help put your mind at ease a bit. i know for me getting some sort of visual for these events helped

http://www.ci.shreveport.la.us/dept/fire/cpat.htm

Forum Member

Default thank you

Any info is appreciated and helpful. You can never get too much info.

Forum Member

check out this link, i know it's not for norwalk, but it may help put your mind at ease a bit. i know for me getting some sort of visual for these events helped

http://www.ci.shreveport.la.us/dept/fire/cpat.htm

Is this your first test in Norwalk? How about CPAT?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cpat

i am testing for norwalk and i am a ff/emt in orlando. i have taken the cpat many times. the cpat is weird i am in no means in amazing shape but im decent i have seen bigger guys then me doe better then me and guys in amazing shape fall out of all the guys who fell out it was a matter of the stairs . if you can come off their feeling decent you will be fine but that is where everyone falls out i would suggest doing this at your local gym hit the stairs it is 60 steps a min for 3 min with 20 second warm up remember you can not hold onto the rail that is a DQ. if while your at the gym you do this and feel like you can do anything else for the next 6-7 minutes you will be fine. but from experience i would get the stairs and vest done and try to go ove the 320 hit 5-6 minutes and you will be fine b/c if not after 3 your legs are JELLO just make sure after 320 on steps you can still go

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    i am testing for norwalk and i am a ff/emt in orlando. i have taken the cpat many times. the cpat is weird i am in no means in amazing shape but im decent i have seen bigger guys then me doe better then me and guys in amazing shape fall out of all the guys who fell out it was a matter of the stairs . if you can come off their feeling decent you will be fine but that is where everyone falls out i would suggest doing this at your local gym hit the stairs it is 60 steps a min for 3 min with 20 second warm up remember you can not hold onto the rail that is a DQ. if while your at the gym you do this and feel like you can do anything else for the next 6-7 minutes you will be fine. but from experience i would get the stairs and vest done and try to go ove the 320 hit 5-6 minutes and you will be fine b/c if not after 3 your legs are JELLO just make sure after 320 on steps you can still go
    thanks for the insight, it's always good to hear from someone who has taken the exam. i can get through 3min30sec @75lbs then 4 min @50lbs going at 60 steps a minute.

have you heard anything about our study guides yet? the woman i spoke to said they'd let us know as soon as they have them. im not sure if i should keep annoying her, but the exam is in 5 weeks too.

Forum Member

thanks for the insight, it's always good to hear from someone who has taken the exam. i can get through 3min30sec @75lbs then 4 min @50lbs going at 60 steps a minute.

have you heard anything about our study guides yet? the woman i spoke to said they'd let us know as soon as they have them. im not sure if i should keep annoying her, but the exam is in 5 weeks too.
    I heard sometimes next week for study guides. Also I heard that there is over 900 people taking this exam in June. They (personnel) are trying to figure out how they are going to hold it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gilnorwalk View Post
    I heard sometimes next week for study guides. Also I heard that there is over 900 people taking this exam in June. They (personnel) are trying to figure out how they are going to hold it.
    I think I saw some where on this website they held a test at the end of June in 2007 and didn't put out any study guides until the first week of June so you may be right on that one.

900 people? wow that is a lot sounds like competition will be steep. We better ace the written test or we wont even need to worry about how we do on the CPAT. Have you been studying for the written at all?

also, yes this is my first test in norwalk (or any where else for that matter), first CPAT as well.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 05-29-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: --

Thread Information