1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Question And His Campaign Staff Didnt Look Into This?

    Obama's aunt from Kenya up for asylum again
    Denise Lavoie, Associated Press

    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 (04-01) 04:00 PDT Boston

    President Obama's Kenyan aunt lost her bid for asylum more than four years ago, and a judge ordered her deported. Instead, Zeituni Onyango stayed, living for years in public housing.

    Now, in a case that puts the president in a tough position both personally and politically, Onyango's request is being reconsidered under a little-used provision in U.S. immigration rules that allows denied asylum claims to be reheard if applicants can show that something has changed to make them eligible.

    Such as the ascension of her nephew to the presidency of the world's most powerful country.

    "If she goes back to Kenya, she is going to be much more in the limelight, and that, in and of itself, could put her at a greater risk. The chances of her going back and keeping a low profile are gone at this point," Boston immigration attorney Ilana Greenstein said.

    Onyango, 56, the half sister of Obama's late father, moved to the United States in 2000. Her first bid for asylum was rejected, and an immigration judge ordered her deported in 2004; she continues to live in public housing in Boston. In December, a judge agreed to suspend the deportation order and reopen her case. An initial hearing is scheduled today in U.S. Immigration Court in Boston.

    Obama has said repeatedly that he didn't know his aunt was living in the United States illegally and believes that laws covering the situation should be followed. If she wins asylum, he could look soft on immigration enforcement. If she loses, he could face criticism from immigrant advocacy groups.

    The White House says Obama is staying out of it. {MALNOTE: I would like to believe that, but suspect that the words "But He is the President" will be whispered many times.}

    "The president believes that the case should run its ordinary course, and neither he nor his representatives have had any involvement," spokesman Ben LaBolt said last week.

    Over the past decade, relatively few Kenyans have sought asylum in the United States: 343 through immigration courts in the fiscal year 2008, compared with 9,250 asylum requests from China and 6,424 from El Salvador. Only 60 of those Kenyans were granted asylum.

    From the fiscal years 1999 through 2008, about 20 percent of Kenyans who applied through immigration courts were granted asylum, according to an Associated Press review of immigration records.

    People who seek asylum must show that they face persecution in their homeland on the basis of religion, race, nationality, political opinion or membership in a social group.

    Onyango's reasons for seeking asylum have not been made public, and her immigration hearing will be closed at her lawyer's request.

    Kenya has been fractured by violence in recent years. In 2008, more than 1,000 people were killed in the East African nation following a disputed presidential poll, which saw a Luo candidate, Raila Odinga, declared loser to President Mwai Kibaki, a Kikuyu, the largest tribe in Kenya.

    Since Kenya gained independence from Britain in 1963, periodic tensions have arisen among the Luos - Onyango's tribe - and some of Kenya's other tribes, including the Kikuyus.

    Onyango could improve her chances of winning asylum if she can argue successfully that some in the Kenyan government may perceive - because of her relationship with Obama - "that she may have some level of political power and be able to transfer that power" to her tribe, said J. Patrick Kelly, an international law professor at Widener University.

    Onyango's lawyer, Margaret Wong, may also argue that she needs to stay in the United States for medical reasons. Onyango, who has been photographed walking with a cane, has some kind of a neurological problem, said Mike Rogers, Wong's spokesman.

    This article appeared on page A - 8 of the San Francisco Chronicle

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    gamewell35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Obama's aunt from Kenya up for asylum again
    Denise Lavoie, Associated Press

    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 (04-01) 04:00 PDT Boston

    President Obama's Kenyan aunt lost her bid for asylum more than four years ago, and a judge ordered her deported. Instead, Zeituni Onyango stayed, living for years in public housing.

    Now, in a case that puts the president in a tough position both personally and politically, Onyango's request is being reconsidered under a little-used provision in U.S. immigration rules that allows denied asylum claims to be reheard if applicants can show that something has changed to make them eligible.

    Such as the ascension of her nephew to the presidency of the world's most powerful country.

    "If she goes back to Kenya, she is going to be much more in the limelight, and that, in and of itself, could put her at a greater risk. The chances of her going back and keeping a low profile are gone at this point," Boston immigration attorney Ilana Greenstein said.

    Onyango, 56, the half sister of Obama's late father, moved to the United States in 2000. Her first bid for asylum was rejected, and an immigration judge ordered her deported in 2004; she continues to live in public housing in Boston. In December, a judge agreed to suspend the deportation order and reopen her case. An initial hearing is scheduled today in U.S. Immigration Court in Boston.

    Obama has said repeatedly that he didn't know his aunt was living in the United States illegally and believes that laws covering the situation should be followed. If she wins asylum, he could look soft on immigration enforcement. If she loses, he could face criticism from immigrant advocacy groups.

    The White House says Obama is staying out of it. {MALNOTE: I would like to believe that, but suspect that the words "But He is the President" will be whispered many times.}

    "The president believes that the case should run its ordinary course, and neither he nor his representatives have had any involvement," spokesman Ben LaBolt said last week.

    Over the past decade, relatively few Kenyans have sought asylum in the United States: 343 through immigration courts in the fiscal year 2008, compared with 9,250 asylum requests from China and 6,424 from El Salvador. Only 60 of those Kenyans were granted asylum.

    From the fiscal years 1999 through 2008, about 20 percent of Kenyans who applied through immigration courts were granted asylum, according to an Associated Press review of immigration records.

    People who seek asylum must show that they face persecution in their homeland on the basis of religion, race, nationality, political opinion or membership in a social group.

    Onyango's reasons for seeking asylum have not been made public, and her immigration hearing will be closed at her lawyer's request.

    Kenya has been fractured by violence in recent years. In 2008, more than 1,000 people were killed in the East African nation following a disputed presidential poll, which saw a Luo candidate, Raila Odinga, declared loser to President Mwai Kibaki, a Kikuyu, the largest tribe in Kenya.

    Since Kenya gained independence from Britain in 1963, periodic tensions have arisen among the Luos - Onyango's tribe - and some of Kenya's other tribes, including the Kikuyus.

    Onyango could improve her chances of winning asylum if she can argue successfully that some in the Kenyan government may perceive - because of her relationship with Obama - "that she may have some level of political power and be able to transfer that power" to her tribe, said J. Patrick Kelly, an international law professor at Widener University.

    Onyango's lawyer, Margaret Wong, may also argue that she needs to stay in the United States for medical reasons. Onyango, who has been photographed walking with a cane, has some kind of a neurological problem, said Mike Rogers, Wong's spokesman.

    This article appeared on page A - 8 of the San Francisco Chronicle


    So what's your point?
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    His point I believe is they buried this news on page 8. Hoping people wouldn't notice.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    It doesnt matter which country you are the Leader of, this situation is not a good thing to have hanging around you. Its simple symantics - its bad ju-ju for two reasons:

    1) she did not follow a lawful command from Immigration (ya I know: who does?)

    2) whether its right or wrong, she is riding the coat-tails of her nephew, and now he is "Someone Big".

    Before December, no one know who "Barack Obama" was unless you lived in Chicago. I lived in and around DC for three years and never heard his name or read it in the local news once until he announced his intention to run for President. And as many on the boards here know, I have read and continue to read the local DC news very regularly.

    As was noted in the report, it does not matter which way Mr Obama deals with this matter, either by taking a direct, proactive approach or by passive (neutral) actions its going to leave a bad taste to a lot of people on one side of the Immigration Fence or the other.

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    It is certainly a delicate situation. Her nephew is charged with executing the laws of the land. He puts him between a rock and a hard place. Expect this to get swept under the rug as well.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    In reality, regardless of what my personal opinion towards Mr Obama is, this particular situation is not one I would wish upon anyone, even someone I don't like. Regardless of what happens, a lot of Someones are not going to be happy with whatever decision gets made.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It is certainly a delicate situation. Her nephew is charged with executing the laws of the land. He puts him between a rock and a hard place. Expect this to get swept under the rug as well.
    Maybe you can go with her back to Kenya to make sure she stays there...
    all in favor say Aye!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Maybe you can go with her back to Kenya to make sure she stays there...
    all in favor say Aye!
    AYE!..........
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Thumbs up

    Aye!!

    Aye!!

    Aye!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Maybe you can go with her back to Kenya to make sure she stays there...
    all in favor say Aye!
    OK, Butt we will all be 6 feet under before she goes back to Kenya.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    ScareCrow-

    So what is the downside for those of us on this forum that read you drabble?

    Maybe you post such idiotic stuff from down there.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    They "AYES" have it.

    Idiotboy, off with you to Kenya.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Maybe you can go with her back to Kenya to make sure she stays there...
    all in favor say Aye!
    Nay.
    ............
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

    Before December, no one know who "Barack Obama" was unless you lived in Chicago. I lived in and around DC for three years and never heard his name or read it in the local news once until he announced his intention to run for President. And as many on the boards here know, I have read and continue to read the local DC news very regularly.
    Speak for yourself. I knew about him several years ago and don't spend my time anywhere near Chicago. I don't even follow politics very closely.

    Besides, it's not uncommon if people outside a politician's district aren't familiar with them. Personally, I hadn't heard of Sarah Palin until days before she was selected as McCain's running mate.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Besides, it's not uncommon if people outside a politician's district aren't familiar with them. Personally, I hadn't heard of Sarah Palin until days before she was selected as McCain's running mate.
    Not familiar with her but her name was in a picture a friend sent me after she moved to Alaska and posed in front of a border sign with Canada.
    As to the comments that she might not be deported due to her media star relative,it could happen.I seem to recall an anecdote from my odd cousin who didn't go to Viet Nam wearing his country's uniform that when she went to Hanoi,Jane's passport was not checked because of who she was and her value to the Communist Party.
    There are all sorts of ways for the well connected to avoid things like speeding tickets,gun permits in restrictive cities,or even when and where they cross the borders and where they go once they've crossed them(Sean Penn).
    If YOUR(collective ,not just you FM),aunt was here illegally,would your name be enough to get her allowed to stay?My money is on "Not in THIS State".

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Before December, no one know who "Barack Obama" was unless you lived in Chicago.
    I disagree. He was quite visible. If you paid much attention to politics at all you would have seen him, although remembering him not have been easy.

    The Senate race between Hussein and Jack Ryan was particularly ugly, where Jack & Jeri Ryan's divorce records were unsealed for public release by court order.

    Then the Republicans played the race card and threw a black carpetbagger into the ring by putting Alan Keyes up to compete against Hussein.

    Plus Hussein was a keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic Convention.
    Last edited by txgp17; 04-02-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Nay.
    I agree. Just send ScareBlow by himself. I'm sure she's much more of an asset to the United States than he ever was, or will be. And I'm sure she's smart enough to understand the physics behind the operation of a TurboDRAFt, too

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post








    You know Bob, all you do is make accusations & personal attacks without ever substantiating your claims, followed by that childish rolling of the eyes. Hence my intent to inject them into every reply I make to you.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    You know Bob, all you do is make accusations & personal attacks without ever substantiating your claims
    You're a liar. Don't like that, Susie? I don't give a ****. You just blew your wad by agreeing with ScareBlow on one of the most ridiculous posts he's made in a while; and that's saying a lot. But, hey...keep up the fight on that Obama birth certificate thing. You're really impressing a lot of people with that one, huh? Talk about no subtance. And since you get so upset at little cartoons that roll their eyes, I'll post one that's laughing in your face.
    PS: Keep posting the tin-foil hat stuff...it's awesome!

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    You're a liar.
    Uh huh. And where is your evidence to support that? You make statements, and I post facts & quantitative data that contradict your statements. How is that lying?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    You just blew your wad by agreeing with ScareBlow on one of the most ridiculous posts he's made in a while; and that's saying a lot.
    I didn't agree with him, I voted to not send him to Kenya. Have someone read the thread to you next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    But, hey...keep up the fight on that Obama birth certificate thing. You're really impressing a lot of people with that one, huh?
    Wow, you really are living up your nickname, libtard jr.

    I don't come here to impress anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Talk about no subtance.
    No substance describes the proof of Hussein's citizenship, and your spelling ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    And since you get so upset at little cartoons that roll their eyes, I'll post one that's laughing in your face.
    Last edited by txgp17; 04-03-2009 at 02:30 AM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonbat
    I don't come here to impress anyone.
    And you don't.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Uh huh. And where is your evidence to support that? You make statements, and I post facts & quantitative data that contradict your statements. How is that lying?
    Facts and data from some moonbat website? Or those from your twisted views on water supplies? Heh...good one!
    I don't come here to impress anyone.
    Well, that's a good thing...because the only thing impressive about you is probably the tinfoil hat collection in your mom's basement. I'm sure you have all the latest fashions.
    No substance describes the proof of Hussein's citizenship, and your spelling ability.
    Oh, no! Who called the spelling police? Man, you're really reaching now, aren't you? Numerous people (all far smarter than you, of course) have vetted the President over and over for the last several years. It's amazing that you and a handful of other internet yahoos are the only ones who possess the real truth, huh? Holy ****! With such indisputable evidence, why aren't you on the floor of Congress? Got anything on Bigfoot's UFO, too?
    Man, you're a laugh a minute! Keep working on figuring out that ol' TurboDRAFT!

  23. #23
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post








    You know Bob, all you do is make accusations & personal attacks without ever substantiating your claims, followed by that childish rolling of the eyes. Hence my intent to inject them into every reply I make to you.
    You will notice I rarely reply to anything he says for that reason. Rarely does he post anything of substance.

    And as I post this I see the case in point in the previous two posts here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I Didnt Do It! I Didnt Do It!
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
  2. Loneliest road campaign
    By fyrmnk in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
  3. I Didnt Do It! :-)
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 01:45 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register