Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MembersZone Subscriber

For those complaining that guys dont anways wear a waist belt, I am sure none of you have ever used a table saw without a guard, used power tools without eye and ear protection, and follow every listed manufacturers safety and operating instruction with every thing you use every day, right?

Sure, Whatever.

I gotta go sit at a green light somewhere and watch traffic go by me.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Why are we discussing this?

If the waist straps were not meant to be used when it was designed by the manufacturer, they wouldn't be there.
    Why do you advocate stopping at green lights?

If your state DOT wanted you to stop at green lights it would be in the traffic law.

The waist strap through the legs will prevent the coat from riding up and possibly causing burns to the down firefighter. It is also necesarry if you use the pack as a harness to lower a man out of a window with a 2:1 or simmiliar rope system.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    The waist strap through the legs will prevent the coat from riding up and possibly causing burns to the down firefighter. It is also necesarry if you use the pack as a harness to lower a man out of a window with a 2:1 or simmiliar rope system.
    It will do much more than just ride up...More than a couple downed members over the years have eventually come out naked or at the very least topless.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    It will do much more than just ride up...More than a couple downed members over the years have eventually come out naked or at the very least topless.
    All the more reason to use the straps through the legs if you are dragging by the SCBA.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

And what is NYFD? I never heard of it.

North York FD (aka Liberty?). The last time I came through, they did not have any gods that I was aware of.

+1 for using the waist strap for RIT operations, but we shouldn't bust a guys balls just because nobody ever showed him this before. We've all been in his place before.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

If the waist straps were not meant to be used when it was designed by the manufacturer, they wouldn't be there.
    Those of us who regularly, actively engage in tactical interior firefighting have a legitimate issue to discuss here. You are in the wrong thread, you need to be in the "Coward Yard Ornament" or the "They dont have smoke detectors, so screw them" thread."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

any departments out there replace the straps with ones that can be used as a class 1 harness. I saw it a few years ago, our place refused to look at them, just wondering

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Add me to the list of the people taught the "crotch-strap" method for firefighter rescue. Hell, I think I learned it 10 years ago. Successfully used it in a number of training evolutions, works well, but does fit snugly against the family jewels.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Originally Posted by LaFireEducator

Sometimes you have to "think outside of the box" in order to accomplish the task at hand. The waist strap around the crotch method of extricating a downed firefighter has been honed and taught in countless training sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Those of us who regularly, actively engage in tactical interior firefighting have a legitimate issue to discuss here. You are in the wrong thread, you need to be in the "Coward Yard Ornament" or the "They dont have smoke detectors, so screw them" thread."
    Another "post of the year" nominee... outstanding!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-11-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by upstater View Post

+1 for using the waist strap for RIT operations, but we shouldn't bust a guys balls just because nobody ever showed him this before. We've all been in his place before.

Not knowing, and asking a question to learn is one thing, talking sh-t is another.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's try and keep the postings relevant to the subject. This one and the mayday/LUNAR thread have been progressing well considering the differences in how we each learn and what we learn. Let's not let the productive information denegrate.

Thank you,
    bc
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

OK $.02 time.

Let's start with the topic. I on occasion don't wear the waist straps either, and that is dependent on the nature of the call. Now I'm and I'm sure everyone else is fully aware that the manufacturers put them there for a reason, but as was stated there are factors that go into making the decision to connect them or not. And those decisions are made by the individual just as every other decision is.
    I will now divert off topic for a moment:
    To be quite frank I'm really sick and tired of people who feel that every aspect of this job needs to be regulated. I know when I need to strap my pack "properly" and when I don't. I know when I need to go on air and when I don't. I know how to drive a rig, throw a ladder, stretch a line, crib a vehicle, do CPR, ventilate, overhaul, go in alone, YES ALONE if I have to, ect ect ect. The reason I know these things is because I was TRAINED to do them, not because of some BS regulkation made up by some dweeb sitting in an office somewhere. I for one think it's high time we got back to training our guys to do this job the right way instead of trying to regulate what we do on scene as a way to get it done. Safety is everyones responsibility, but only proper training based on EXPERIENCE will provide for that safety....not a piece of paper from OSHA or the NFPA (which by BTW is made up mostly of the same manufacturers who are trying to sell you all the "safe" new stuff).
    For all the pro regualtion members out there let me just remind you of the cardinal rule of firefighting....PUT THE FIRE OUT AND ALL OTHER PROBLEMS GO AWAY!!!....well we can't put that fire out if we are regulated out of the building now can we?

As for those who have a beef with the FDNY, well all I know is that my VFD is fortunate enough to have as members a number of FDNY guys including a Capt of R-1 and we thank God everyday for the wealth of info that has been passed on to our membership from them and for their continued dedication to our department. There is NO substitute for experience in this field, and I would advise any FD that has a large busy department nearby to utilze the experience of those guys in training your own. I know for a fact that that experience has made me a good fireman, and has help make my department the respected firefighting organization that it is.
    If your from a slower department learn to do from those who do, not a book...you and your department will be better off.

Stay Safe and strap up

Cogs

Administrator

Default Deleted Posts

Certain posts were deleted as they did not directly relate to the subject, especially after a call to try.
    This was a good thread, good information. Take the back and forth somewhere else.

Bill C.

Thread Information