55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well..................

Take the Manpower AND the Water.........

One of my Grandsons Volunteers with the Forestville VFD in PG County. They had a "R Model" Mack Tanker that was getting some age on it, and the usual "Committee" was formed to craft plans for the replacement. This time, a couple of "Outside the Box" thinkers were involved, and the result is this Custom Cab Tanker-Pumper that carries a crew of Six, Pumps 1,250 GPM, and carries 2,500 gallons of water. It can, and does, pump supply lines from a Hydrant or Draft, Haul Water, or otherwise do whatever it is needed for. A 3,000 Gallon Folding Tank is carried in a rack on the Right side, and a small generator, some lights, SCBA for all seats, and small tools round out the capabilities of this unit.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-11-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post

One of my Grandsons Volunteers with the Forestville VFD in PG County. They had a "R Model" Mack Tanker that was getting some age on it, and the usual "Committee" was formed to craft plans for the replacement. This time, a couple of "Outside the Box" thinkers were involved, and the result is this Custom Cab Tanker-Pumper that carries a crew of Six, Pumps 1,250 GPM, and carries 2,500 gallons of water. It can, and does, pump supply lines from a Hydrant or Draft, Haul Water, or otherwise do whatever it is needed for. A 3,000 Gallon Folding Tank is carried in a rack on the Right side, and a small generator, some lights, SCBA for all seats, and small tools round out the capabilities of this unit.......
    Wow, that thing is BADASS, and is ingenious too! Any more pictures I can share with some of the jakes here?

I'm glad the people responsible for its purchase were able to rise above the typical "replace 1999 tanker with 2009 tanker" mentality.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    FIFTY TONS OF WATER

6,000 gallons of water in tanker

Fresh water weighs 8.333 pounds per gallon

X 8.333
    49,998 pounds of water

A ton is 2000 pounds
    Divide 49,998 by 2000 = 24.999 TONS
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 04-11-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on the time of day and day around here. It's not unlikely to be calling 4-5 depts in during the day, to get manpower and water.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Start it all, canceling is easy.
    But what if the call is in the PM? I thought Tankers dont fly at night?

Forum Member

well you must remember calffbou that we "east coasters" don't get to see "tankers" that often ('cept South Ga '07) so most of us still refer to a tender as a tanker

but i did enjoying choking on my Coke laughing at that joke....lol

my station is centrally located within the county and is the only station staffed 24/7 by two full timers so anytime we have a structure fire not in our first-due area the "floater" is supposed to roll the tanker and the first full timer either rolls the engine or stays in service with the engine to provide coverage depending on the situation
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

A friend of mine moved out to CO after college. We're rural. Tankers are big trucks with lots of water. He joined the FD in CO where he moved and was on a first in engine to structure fire. Out of habit, he radioed the chief and said they were going to need tankers.

Stunned silence on the radio.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Well.............

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    Wow, that thing is BADASS, and is ingenious too! Any more pictures I can share with some of the jakes here?

I'm glad the people responsible for its purchase were able to rise above the typical "replace 1999 tanker with 2009 tanker" mentality.
    I'm not sure how much info is there, but try www.FVFD23.com.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Harve....

We are actually going to start the process of specing out a pumper/tender ourselves this year sometime, as soon as we can find some money. We wrote a grant for it last year but got denied and will again this year. Our current tender is ready to lay down any day now.

Wondering if you could get the specs for me and email them or send them to me somehow??? I'll trade you a t-shirt for it?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Ok...........

Jason, Look at www.4guysfire.com This thing has a couple of years on it now, so it's dropped off of 4 guys online photo collection. BUT, there is one on there now, a Yellow and White Rig for somewhere in New Jersey. Also, PM coming your way.....
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-12-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

For mutual aid we roll at least two engines, They carry anywhere between 1000 gal to 1250 gal. and have 1000 gpm to 1500 gpm pumps. Our tanker has a 1250 gal tank but only has a 500 gpm pump. So unless we are planning on setting up a drop tank, which we never do, (Mtns no room) we roll an engine. In 99.9 % of all structure fires in our county we use nursing operations, so we want to have at least 1000 gpm pump in line or you holding up progress.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

The major problem you run into when designing a pumper/tanker like this is length. For some departments, that is not a problem. For others, especially rural like mine, where the roads are narrow and space to turn around is at a premium, pumper/tankers like this one are nearly useless. One of the neighboring departments has a pumper/tanker and other area departments hesitate to call for it because once on scene, it's nearly impossible to get turned around during shuttle operations. Often, it becomes a nurse tanker.

Not to say that there isn't a place for a truck like this. We've considered going with something similar (square tank, more compartments, 1500GPM, and CAFS) when it comes time to replace our first-out engine. And once again, if space isn't a problem, go for it.

The main thing is for the apparatus committee to determine what the most important needs are for YOUR department and then build a truck to meet those needs. Too many times, the committee starts throwing all the bells and whistles on the truck, ending up with a truck that doesn't meet those needs. In our situation, it was determined it needed to carry at least 2,500 gallons of water and have a very small turning radius, necessitating a fairly short truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would hope that the IC at the incident you were responding to would have specified. I would find out through direct communication or com center what was needed, ASSUME nothing you will most likely be wrong.
    Last edited by erik3911; 04-13-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: OOPS
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

we go for the man power if you have a problem with personel to drive tankers call another district in but most of the time our automatic aid kicks in and we have 60,000 gallons of water enroute and another 60,000 if we push the panic button.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dist8229 View Post
    we go for the man power if you have a problem with personel to drive tankers call another district in but most of the time our automatic aid kicks in and we have 60,000 gallons of water enroute and another 60,000 if we push the panic button.

Hey Captain, how many tankers would this be????
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Our responses are pre-determined so there is no question of which to bring. A second alarm brings a pre-determined number of apparatus. The IC can also request a specific type of apparatus, in which case, that type is dispatched. If you are dispatched for a tanker, you take the tanker. Keeps things simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

captain ive got. 4 from HRFD 3 From A.A.FD 4 From MFD All of these have a 5000 gallon tanker rolling, 1 from ORFD 3 from W1FD, 3 From SFD, and 3 from D8FD all first alarm sorry i have 32 hydrants in my disrict and they are all on the south end. ive been here 4 years and caught a plug once. and never had to call a second alarm. thank god because all these trucks make it a big cluster. but its parish policy to have more than you need.

Forum Member

We mutual aid to a rural dept. often and we usually run our tanker first followed by a personnel car. We usually dont run an engine unless it is within thier city limits or where they have hydrants. Simply because our engine is 30 years old and not the most reliable vehicle we have and our quint is too big to fit down some of thier country roads. Our quint also has a 2000 gpm pump on it and there are concerns about water supply.

Thread Information