Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Quitting Smoking

I set today as my quit smoking day. It is easy to set a quit day but harder to actually quit when that day arrives I have learned. I was a idiot for ever starting Kentucky's number 1 legal cash crop. But it's time to put this past me and move on to a healthier lifestyle. I keep reminding myself of the money savings and not wanting to be a heart attack statistic. Anybody else out there quit recently? Any tips or suggestions? I am on the patch which seems to be helping. Going to work and the firehouse is the hardest part I don't smoke much at home. I am going to bed at 7 so I wont sit here and think about smoking

Banned

NYS has a quit smoking hot line where they will give you the patches or any assistance you want. Lucky for me, I never started. Which means I never had to quit. Good luck and hope you make it. Especially since they just raised the tax by $1 a pack.

good luck and ill try to bump this thread every so often and help you out

Forum Member

You are not alone, believe me. I have quit smoking (again) as well. Just keep your mind on all the positives from no longer smoking.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might check with your health insurance provider or employer, as a lot of times they'll have assistance programs for helping employees to quit smoking.

I quite a number of years ago. What actually got me to do it was watching my grandfather literally cough up chunks of lung while he died of lung cancer. One night I threw the pack of cigarettes out the window and that was it. No patches, no gum, no nothing, except the desire to quit.

I will warn you, around the 5th day seemed to be the hardest. If you can make it past that first week, the second week is easier. After the second week, I didn't have near the cravings. Now, I almost get nausiated when I smell cigarette smoke (but I still love the smell of pipe smoke, or even that of a good cigar).

Now I need to quit chewing, which I've found far tougher than smoking. But, I'm down to three dips per day as opposed to a can a day. Tomorrow I'm shooting for two, then with any luck, I can get by with one or none at work Sunday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your not alone my quit date is Sunday night/monday morning. I have tried the patch in the past but it made me very sick. Tried gum, and everything else except the pill thing. This time I am trying sheer will and with the help of family and friends.

Hope you get past it as I do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Best of luck to you. Its got to be one of the hardest things there is to do. I hope you have better luck than I have. I'm in my 45th year of smoking and ashamed of myself. I probably have quit or tried to 100 times.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I know six people (including my girlfriend) who have sucessfully used the prescription drug Chantix to quit smoking. In fact, my GF just got her scrip about three weeks ago. She smoked for 9 years prior to taking the med. After taking Chantix for 2 days, she didn't smoke another cigarette, hasn't had any cravings, hasn't used food as a substitute, and hasn't thought about another cigarette.

There seems to be a very high success rate with Chantix, and the biggest side effect is very vivid dreams. Case in point: last week, she dreamed she was on the space shuttle with the president going to Thanksgiving dinner. Pretty funny to hear about the next morning.

No matter what method you use, best of luck!!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Talking

Day 2 here I come! the patch seems to be working so far I haven't had my early morning craving when I have my coffee at all. I appreciate the support. I distract myself with something else when I have a craving.
    Catch 22 I feel your pain on chewing I started that before smoking, good ole Kodiak and Redman special blend. 3 of us tried it way back in middle school, one threw up and never touched it again. My other friend and I where hooked I only quit when in our senior year of high school he had to have his jaw removed. That got me to quit. Now it's time to be tobacco free completely. Every morning I am gonna transfer 4 bucks into my savings account (what I paid for a pack) and am still debating what I want to save up and buy. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT EVERYONE!!!!

Oh yeah Hamelfire I will PM you Monday morning see how you are doing

Good luck!

I wanted to shove a cigarette in my (ex) husband's mouth when he tried to quit "cold turkey". Rather snarky attitude without any nicotine in his bloodstream.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

MembersZone Subscriber

best of luck guys. It's coming up on 3 years that I have quit. Find yourself something that you can chew on. it'll do you wonders. Part of the addiction is the oral fixation of having something in your mouth. I found that sunflower seeds or gum is a necessity. I used the patch. Need anything shoot me a msg.

Forum Member

Talking

Day 3 I will admit I slipped a little yesterday but am still focused on quitting!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have exactly 11 cigs reamining 1 for each hour until 1200 A.M. Then thats it. Tommorrow is going to be a very tough day but I know I can do this.

Forum Member

Add another one to the list. I am on day two myself. I quit for a few months several years ago, using the patch so I'm trying it again this time.

Last time I quit because I "need to" this time I'm quitting because I WANT to. That hopefully will give me additional will power to quit.

Focus on all the good things that come with quitting:

1. Your ability to taste and smell will improve. It's surprising how much smoking affects those senses.
    2. Sinuses (for me at least) will clear up and there's less crap you'll be coughing up.
    3. Considering the prices of cigarettes here in Houston, average yearly savings is about $3,000 a year. I don't know about you but I know there are a LOT of things I can do with an extra three grand in my pocket.

BoxAlarm187 - I looked into the Chantix and did a lot of research. It seems as viable if not more so, then any of the other options. And amazingly enough, my insurance does not cover it. You would think they would jump all over it.

Madden and Hamel......

I used Chantix to quit. I quit smoking Dec. 2nd of 2008, been 4 months now. I know it varies with everyone but Chantix works differently where it blocks the brain from craving nicotine and takes more than 2 days to work. Regardless, it works awesome. The biggest side effect with me was it make me pukey. Right after I took it, about 20-30 minutes I felt nauseated and felt that way for about another 20-30 min and it went away. Tried everything with it, food, milk, Pepto, all the tricks people told me and still had the same effect. I got tired of watching people grab for the CPAP on breathing difficulty runs thinking that could be me someday.

I still get cravings after I eat and when I drive. I can tell you to stay out of the bars while in your early stages. I purposely avoided the bars here (that are not in a city with a smoking ban) to avoid the temptation until about 3 weeks ago. I watched a woman smoke like a dog watching someone eat bacon. It smelled good and appealing and gross and disgusting all at the same time. I had to run out of there before I asked her for a smoke. After about 2-3 beers, my craving was huge. Then, I get home and almost puked from the bar smell.

It's true about Chantix making you have weird dreams. Man, I woke a few times wondering where I was and what I was doing. Just total off the wall stuff too.

Good luck on your quitting. Don't let it get to you, every day is one day further away from smoking. It's also cheaper too. Here in WI the state raised the state sales tax on top of the federal tax. I just heard today standing behind a guy at the store, $6.08 a pack!!!

Just one quick story too.....a buddy of mine on the department quit over a year ago. He put 5 bucks in a can a day, the amount of one pack per day, for 14 months and put that down on a new Harley!!

You can do it boys, think about the damages in each puff to your lungs!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

pelham, nh int he best country in the world

and if ur craving 1 dnt think u can just have one, its like an alchoholic having one drink.. doesnt happen. i currently smoke and quit for 2 weeks, but my gf never stopped and it eventualy caught up to me and i started here and there when i was stressesed and am full into it agian, so if u can get a girlfriend, wife, another ff or someone close to u to do it with u itll make it 100000 times easier...goodluck

My wife used Chantix to quit smoking as well. She also lost weight with is as well. Was her biggest worry. Best of luck you all and everyone trying to stop.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

Been up for 2 hours now. Had maajor cravings but have not broken down as of yet. It's going to be a tough day today but have to get through it.

Back in 2003 I threw a half pack of smokes over on the end table after smoking since 1957 and haven't pick up another cigarette or smoke one since then., All you have to do is tell yourself = I Quit!

Of course having high blood pressure, being short winded and not able to pass a pulmonary function test helped me to decide.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I quit on april 1st, I have wanted to for a long time, but as we know saying and doing is way different, when I got hired on full time by my Dept. last august to told myself I would quit, and found every reason to buy that next pack,

it has been 5 days for me and it has been 3 days for my wife.

I have been using nicorette gum, (got free sample in the mail) and she has been using the commit lozenges (cappuccino flavor) we also got a free sample for her to try and she likes them

Both seem to work for us,

we both quit for 2 months a couple years ago, she used chantix then and it worked for her, but there have been questions I see about it causing bad side effects so i don't know.

what I DO know, is I breath better, I don't snore at night, and food is tasting better every day.

congrats to all other here who have quit and I will be sure to stop back often to check others progress too

Thread Information