Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have been using a carbon hood for about 2 years now. I like them, they are comfortable, seem to hold their shape and offer good protection.

Over the years I have used single and double layer Nomex hoods, the Tempo Uno, Pbi hoods, Kevlar hoods, P-84 lenzing hoods, and I even tried a Reed Hood.

I like both P-84 lenzing and carbon hoods. Again both are comfortable, hold their shape and offer good protection.

I immensely dislike the Pbi hood I used. It was a single layer and I cooked my ears while wearing it. Annecdotal? Of course but it is my experience.

Forum Member

I've gotten very comfortable with the KL23 (Kermel, Lenzing) hood by Lifeliners. The TPP rating on the hood is very good and is only a couple more dollars than the Nomex hood. When I'm igniting in a burn building I use the TP23 (Triple layer; PBI, Lenzing, Kevlar) and it works great. Much better than the Carbon Fiber hood that I tried once. Not a big fan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    I would hope you are talking about doing this while teaching live burns or the flash over simulator or somthing like that. Not in the real world why would you need to?

Yes I do wear 2 nomex hoods while training in a live fire burn. Our company protocall is for the instructor to stand as long as possible thru the evolution.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hamelfire View Post
    Our company protocol is for the instructor to stand as long as possible thru the evolution.
    Just out of curiosity......why?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Just out of curiosity......why?
    This is so that we (the instructors) can "feel" when the termal layer may be getting out of balance or that flash over may occur and should consider evacuating the crew. We do always use a back up crew within feet of the attack crew comprised of 2 instructors.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Hamelfire View Post
    This is so that we (the instructors) can "feel" when the termal layer may be getting out of balance or that flash over may occur and should consider evacuating the crew. We do always use a back up crew within feet of the attack crew comprised of 2 instructors.
    So none of your instructors can raise their arms over their heads from a kneeling position to feel the heat above them? Or see fire conditions? Or feel a change in heat push down on them when on their knees?

Further more, if you are wearing 2 hoods to offer more thermal protection that defeats the idea of feeling more heat to offer an early warning. If you are letting practice room fires get to the point of nearing flashover with crews inside I think it is time to completely reevaluate your entire live fire training SOG. Because frankly to me it seems you are working very near another training fire disaster.

Forum Member

Funny,Great minds think alike. The object of TRAINING is train,not incinerate.While I believe flashover training is valuable,I believe teaching proper vent work and AVOIDING near flashover conditions is equally valuable.Personally I don't want students in an area that requires double hooding to operate in. Just my opinion. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with you on this one R101... I don't take my guys out to train in -40C just like I won't take them into a broiler.

If we're showing them extreme heat during training, the new guys get it in their heads that all the real jobs are scorching on a normal basis. This might cause them to dismiss the obvious danger of a residence or structure that isn't made out of concrete involved to that degree.

On topic, I switched out my headgear for carbon fiber and haven't looked back either. Love'em. Whether or not I like'em enough to wear 2 of them? No... not quite.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So none of your instructors can raise their arms over their heads from a kneeling position to feel the heat above them? Or see fire conditions? Or feel a change in heat push down on them when on their knees?

Further more, if you are wearing 2 hoods to offer more thermal protection that defeats the idea of feeling more heat to offer an early warning. If you are letting practice room fires get to the point of nearing flashover with crews inside I think it is time to completely reevaluate your entire live fire training SOG. Because frankly to me it seems you are working very near another training fire disaster.
    My thoughts exactly.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I wear what the fire department pays for.

And I only wear one of them.

Forum Member

Funny,Great minds think alike. The object of TRAINING is train,not incinerate.While I believe flashover training is valuable,I believe teaching proper vent work and AVOIDING near flashover conditions is equally valuable.Personally I don't want students in an area that requires double hooding to operate in.

LSU FETI has just "cooled down" their flashover chamber trainings due to a recent spat of minor burns, and under pressure from local FDs that they were burning up too many helmets and shields, even with the tinfoil coverings. They were even scorching some bunker coats and damaging SCBA masks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I immensely dislike the Pbi hood I used. It was a single layer and I cooked my ears while wearing it. Annecdotal? Of course but it is my experience.
    I'll agree with that. Comfort wise, my PBI hood is awesome. However it did not provide the level of protection I would have liked. I ended up with minor second degree burns to both ears through the hood and earflaps. It was a relatively hot fire but nothing I would consider to be extreme. It was definately a lesson on the importance on wearing your entire PPE ensamble.

My vote would go to the carbon hoods. comfort + protection
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

Forum Member

I wear a carbon fiber hood because I just happened to buy one. But like previously stated, feeling the change in the room temp is a good indicator of your surroundings.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information