MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 Spokane, Wa., Fire Exam

Spokane, Wa. Fire Exam
    Open Entry Examination

$35,219 annual salary, payable bi-weekly, to a maximum of $71,330

Opening Date: Monday, March 30, 2009
    Closing Date: Applications will be accepted until 5:00 PM on Friday, April 10, 2009.
    Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday, except holidays.

SALARY:
    $35,219 ($14.62 per hour during academy, $19.49 per hour balance of year) to $71,330 after 5 years.

Duties:
    Performs general duty firefighting work in the preventing, combating, and extinguishing of fires, and performs basic life-support, emergency medical functions. Responds to fire alarms with a company; lays hose; holds nozzle and directs water streams; raises and climbs ladders; uses standard firefighting equipment; removes persons from danger; administers emergency medical treatment; performs salvage and cleanup operations. Drives and operates various automotive, mechanical, and auxiliary fire apparatus. Work is occasionally heavy in nature, often performed under hazardous conditions, and requires normal attention to prevent injury. Operates oxygen delivery equipment; uses blood pressure cuff and stethoscope to take patient's vital signs; performs CPR; utilizes various splinting devices. Works other than a normal work week and is subject to recall during fire emergencies.

Open Requirements: (All requirements must be met at time of application.)
    Requires high school diploma or equivalent. No previous experience necessary. NOTE: Minimum medical and health standards for this classification are established by state laws. All successful candidates who have been offered a position will be required to pass the necessary examinations prior to appointment. Applicants must possess a valid driver's license. NOTE: Applicants must have successfully completed Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) training and be eligible for Washington State EMT certification at the time of interview. APPLICANTS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE EMT TRAINING OR POSSESS EMT CERTIFICATION AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION OR EXAMINATION.

Examination:
    Upon request, at time of application, the City will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.

The examination will be conducted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. at the Spokane Convention Center, East Entrance, Group Health Exhibit Hall C, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., Spokane, WA 99201. Approximate duration of the test is 2 hours. The examination will consist of a written test and a pass/fail physical performance test. Applicants will be notified when and where to appear for the physical performance test. Weights will be assigned as follows: Written Test 100%, Physical Performance Pass/Fail.

NOTE:Under continuous testing policy, additional examinations may be scheduled with results merged into one eligibility list according to final ratings.

Apply Online

Download the Civil Service Job Application

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT

Civil Service Office, City Hall, 4th Floor, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.,
    Spokane, Washington 99201-3315, or call (509) 625-6160.

24-HOUR JOB INFORMATION LINE 625-6161
    FAX number: (509) 625-6077
    TDD number: 625-6681

By order of the SPOKANE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION, dated at Spokane, Washington, this 11th day of March, 2009.

CAROL LAWTON
    Chair GLENN KIBBEY
    Chief Examiner

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Has anyone gone through Spokane's process? Whats their written like, and their cpat? From what I read on their website after you take the written you are given a location to go take a pass/fail physical that same day. Any info or input would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Forum Member

Anyone from the department have any insight on the process or organization?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bump!

So nobody has any info about the test? I heard numbers where 300-500 for applicants. Anyone know anything else?

THANKS.

Forum Member

I have no info regarding applicant numbers, but HR said that the pass/fail physical component of the test (for those who move on) with be on May 18 or so.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last time, it was the basic (no experience necessary civil service type) test. I would say around 500 people showed up. I still plan to test but I saw on the local news last night and again this morning in the local paper that the department may have layoffs in the near future to help with the city budget. The same thing happened back in 2004 and I think 25 were laid off.

Forum Member

The budget issues aren't nearly as bad as the news is reporting, but gloom and doom sells newspapers.

As of last Friday there were 600-ish apps turned in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone heard anything?

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything from the city yet....

The civil service adminstrator said we should hear by friday (yesterday).

THANKS.

Thumbs up Got the letter today

I Missed one question (89 out of 90) and that put me at #24. I don't have vet preference. The physical is the 18th and seems pretty straightforeword.

Hopefully they will get down the list a bit in the next couple of years. I would hate to waste such a good score.

Anyone else hear from them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EagleCard View Post
    I Missed one question (89 out of 90) and that put me at #24. I don't have vet preference. The physical is the 18th and seems pretty straightforeword.

Hopefully they will get down the list a bit in the next couple of years. I would hate to waste such a good score.

Anyone else hear from them?
    Good job on the test... I scored 82/90 which puts me at #118 on the list... Seems kinda pointless unless you have military points.

Does anyone know on average how deep they go through the list each year?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JVallstar View Post
    Good job on the test... I scored 82/90 which puts me at #118 on the list... Seems kinda pointless unless you have military points.

Does anyone know on average how deep they go through the list each year?
    That's a great job to both of you guys. Congrats on doing that well. I was in on those tests (SVFD & SFD) but did not do as well as you guys. Do either of you have any pointers on how you studied or what you studied or is that just natural? Any paticular books that I am missing out on?

My thanks in advance! Good luck to both of you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhigens View Post
    That's a great job to both of you guys. Congrats on doing that well. I was in on those tests (SVFD & SFD) but did not do as well as you guys. Do either of you have any pointers on how you studied or what you studied or is that just natural? Any paticular books that I am missing out on?

My thanks in advance! Good luck to both of you.
    I studied a 1980's Barron's Guide to Fire Fighter Exam. Not much of the material was similar to these tests except some of the math and maps stuff.

I make sure I do a lot of long division, multiplication, dividing fractions and ratios by hand for a couple days before the test so they don't become a factor while testing.

Also, getting a good nights sleep and staying well hydrated is the most important. There is a strong correlation between staying hydrated and peak mental performance.

I would say reading the instructions on EVERY section is huge. I realized I totally did a section wrong on the SVFD test after reading the directions on a comparable section on the SFD test.

I imagine the majority of the questions I missed were in the "what would you do" section and I don't know how to study for those. Unfortunately, down here in Portland, most of the fire department tests are almost entirely personality/human resource questions... Has any body has come across some good books that cover these type of questions?

MembersZone Subscriber

How did folks do on the physical test? Anyone get any ideas on numbers, like how many failed?

Any idea what happens now, if anything?

Thread Information