MembersZone Subscriber

Question Thermal Camera Problem

We have a ISG K1000 Elite thermal camera. I have noticed that last couple of fires that as soon as we make entry the camara "whites out" in zero visibility with no color. Has anybody else have this problem?

During mop up the camara works fine this occurs only in zero visibility.

Any Ideas?
    This is My Opinion and not of anyone elses!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to familiar with that camera but one thought is the linse being covered in smoke/soot and need to be wiped clean?

Protective Economist

There are a few possible explanations:
    1. The lens gets covered by moisture, reducing the quality of the image and generating a mostly white and gray "blob" picture. If you note condensation on the display or your facepiece, there is probably moisture on the lens. Wipe it off with your glove several times.
    2. The imager is trying to adjust to the higher heat, but is not switching gain levels fast enough before the user gives up on the imager. It will take about 0.5 to 1.0 seconds for the imager to recognize a high heat situation, adjust its gain and then start displaying the proper image.
    3. A strap or other object is dangling in front of the lens.

If it's not one of these, there may be a problem with the engine and you should send it back to ISG.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Vindicator,

Jonathanís (Firemanjb) advice is good advice with one caveat Ė the camera only takes 0.08 seconds (eight one-hundredths of a second) to recognize high heat and switches automatically. If it isnít soot or some other external thing, send it back to the factory so the technicians can have a look at it. What you are describing is not normal operation for the ELITE camera.

David A. Little
    Chief Executive Officer
    ISG/Infrasys
    www.isgfire.com
    (877) 733-3473

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by dalittle View Post
    Hi Vindicator,

Jonathanís (Firemanjb) advice is good advice with one caveat Ė the camera only takes 0.08 seconds (eight one-hundredths of a second) to recognize high heat and switches automatically. If it isnít soot or some other external thing, send it back to the factory so the technicians can have a look at it. What you are describing is not normal operation for the ELITE camera.

David A. Little
    Chief Executive Officer
    ISG/Infrasys
    www.isgfire.com
    (877) 733-3473
    Hey, David:

Thanks for the clarification...but please note I was not trying to mislead the poster about the K1000's capabilities. Most people cannot relate to measurements in tenths or hundreths of a second...I was merely trying to convey that the K1000 (along with most microbolometers these days) will make the gain adjustment in less than a second, so the user does need to wait a moment to allow the shift to occur in an active environment.

Hope all is well...
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Jonathan,

Understand where youíre coming from. I didnít take it as an attempt to mislead on performance. Case in point, the T320 and T4 also flip in well under a second. So, I thought the .5 to 1 second you posted was a bit conservative.

Havenít seen you in a while. Iíll stop by your booth at FDIC next week.

be safe,
    david

Protective Economist

I won't be at FDIC...left full-time for them back in 2004 and part-time ended 2007.

Thread Information