Forum Member

Default States Differ On Furloughs For Public Employees

Here's the difference between being a public employee in New Jersey and one in Pennsylvania.

http://www.laborradio.org/node/10839
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Forum Member

If the union refuses to give back a 3.5 percent pay raise set to go in effect on July 1 and take 14 unpaid furloughs Corzine has said he will lay off 7000 state workers. Meanwhile, across the state border in Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell reached an agreement with state workers that could avoid the need for furloughs.
    Read close....and see the difference.

The NJ Union is not accepting an agreement, the PA Union did.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Different strokes for different folks. How dare people in the public sector be held to the same standards as those in the provate sector.

Go ahead, fight attempts to save money and your jobs by taking a pay cut. This mentality blows my freaking mind. The morons with the inability to see the forest between the trees would rather you lose your jobs, union membership, and benefits than a few bucks. Losing a couple thousand dollars is better than losing your entire income.

Don't get me wrong, I don't trust useless, politically inbred, scubag, politicians as far as I can throw them, and they have not made enough of the appropriate cuts from budgets before begging and threatening workers to give things up in their negotiated contracts.

These morons in the unions have no problems going for everything not nailed down in the good times while not wanting to give up a single thing in bad times. The morons in state government who negotiate these contracts have no problems spending taxpayer's money without any accountability or cares during good times, then are shocked - utterly shocked I tell you - when the economy tanks and their decisions come back to bite them in the arse.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Read close....and see the difference.

The NJ Union is not accepting an agreement, the PA Union did.
    It shows that working partnerships can be forged between management and the unions. Interestingly enough, Rendell said that money would be repaid into the state health care fun starting in September of 2010.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by gamewell35 View Post
    It shows that working partnerships can be forged between management and the unions. Interestingly enough, Rendell said that money would be repaid into the state health care fun starting in September of 2010.
    It's encouraging and hopefully a trend.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    It's encouraging and hopefully a trend.

Agreed; hopefully public workers in other states who are in the same financial bind will look to the example set by their colleagues in Pa.

Thread Information