Forum Member

Default Omaha FD hiring process

Has anyone out there heard from Omaha? Either off the last list or the current 2009 application process. Background info is now being updated for some candidates off the last list from the 2007 application process. That was the process off of which they have evidently hired 46 applicants back in the spring of 2008.

Forum Member

Default Ofd

I was contacted by OFD backgrounds abt 2 weeks ago by mail and then by phone to update some info. I got a letter saying that the chief is considering a class and if i was still intrested. filled out some paperwork and they called me 2 days later to verify the info.

Im also taking omaha's video test this thursday, for the next list.

Forum Member

Default Azreal

Just out of curiosity, what was your # on the eligibility list for the last list?
    My # was 6x and they supposedly hired 46, so I think I am in the upper
    teens on what remains on the 07 list. I too have applied again and took
    the out-of-towner testing on March 9th and 10th. The department received a SAFER Grant to hire 18.

Forum Member

Default TheCrowe1994

Noticed that in the 2007 process you had a friend that appeared to be in the final stages of getting hired. Did he eventually get a job and when and how did it happen?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steer94 View Post
    Noticed that in the 2007 process you had a friend that appeared to be in the final stages of getting hired. Did he eventually get a job and when and how did it happen?
    Sorry, but Ive had a few friends get on. You will have to remind me. Or you could be confusing me w/ another Azreal. Sorry.

For the list Im on now, I was on the bottom half of the overall list (@260 of the total) but I think my medic got doors opened up for me that otherwise would have been closed.

Forum Member

Default Azreal

This post was to "TheCrow1994" who was in the 2007 process-Sorry if
    it was confusing.

Forum Member

Yes. He did get hired. It was late spring last year if I remember correctly. There was another class hired last fall and I have heard they are hiring 18 more, off the old list, starting at the end of this month, beginning of next month. I'm not sure how accurate that is, so don't take it as gospel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post
    Yes. He did get hired. It was late spring last year if I remember correctly. There was another class hired last fall and I have heard they are hiring 18 more, off the old list, starting at the end of this month, beginning of next month. I'm not sure how accurate that is, so don't take it as gospel.
    The crow is right. Omaha Fire Dept is going before the City Council to ask for them to accept a Grant given to them by Homeland Security. The next list wont be certified for another 6 weeks or so. So I am thinking that they will hire off the list generated in 2007. The Grant is for 18 bodies for 5 years.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Looking for new Omaha info.

Has anyone heard any more info regarding the possibility of OFD hiring those 18 bodies for the SAFER grant? Have they been hired off the 2007 "OLD List", or will they be hired off the new "2009" list? How did everyone else do in the last testing process? Is anybody ranked high on the new list?

Forum Member

The 18 new recruits started on May 18th. They are going for 9 weeks of training at the academy. They were hired off the old list....not the 2009 list.

Default Omaha Fire

I just heard Omaha hired 11 guys off the new 2009 list I guess it was out of the blue and they start tom and will be added into the academy that started in May..anyone else hear this? I did the interview and background and was really hoping to continue through the process...anyone hear if they are planning on hiring anymore guys and if so when?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by silcox View Post
    I just heard Omaha hired 11 guys off the new 2009 list I guess it was out of the blue and they start tom and will be added into the academy that started in May..anyone else hear this? I did the interview and background and was really hoping to continue through the process...anyone hear if they are planning on hiring anymore guys and if so when?
    I heard something to that effect, too....but I heard it was 10 people. I wonder if they will have their own training, separate from the other class. I would imagine the other class would be way ahead of the newest recruits by now.

I've heard that they are going to keep hiring classes of 10 pretty consistently. Only half of the candidates have their EMT, and I've heard they would probably be the first taken.

Quote Originally Posted by silcox View Post
    I've heard that they are going to keep hiring classes of 10 pretty consistently. Only half of the candidates have their EMT, and I've heard they would probably be the first taken.

Just heard today that one guy already quite from the new class of 10. Supposedly didn't like the idea of becoming a Paramedic and didn't show up today. I can't believe you would go through the entire hiring process and quite after one day, baffles my mind.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Just heard today that one guy already quite from the new class of 10. Supposedly didn't like the idea of becoming a Paramedic and didn't show up today. I can't believe you would go through the entire hiring process and quite after one day, baffles my mind.
    Are they making all the new hires become paramedics from the start? I remember my friend saying he signed a paper saying he would become a paramedic if the Fire Chief asks him, but I don't think they made him become one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post
    Are they making all the new hires become paramedics from the start? I remember my friend saying he signed a paper saying he would become a paramedic if the Fire Chief asks him, but I don't think they made him become one.
    I have a friend that was hired a few years ago and everyone in his class had to take take the paramedics course. I guess at some point the Union got involved and anyone in the course could withdraw since it was "unconstitutional" to force people to do this.

Things might have changed since then. All I know is during the interview the first questions they asked me was if I would become a Paramedic. I'm sure anyone that said no was automatically scratched.

Thread Information