Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting a BA degree first?

I am stuck between two careers... I am thinking of doing firefighting and being a police officer. I want to get a BA degree tho because I know it will help with promotions. I have been researching on police forums and have read to stay away from a CJ degree since you will be taught everything In the academy. And for firefighting, I have read about doing a public admin BA which could help in being a chief way later down in my career. With this in consideration, I am making myself think long term with getting promotions and want to get the most out of which ever career I choose. I am thinking I don't want to do a BA in fire or CJ, since the acadmies teach you this anyways. So is there a degree I could get that is broad enough for both careers that could potentially let me get pretty far up In the ranks in firefighting or police?

You might try a bachelor's in public administration

Forum Member

Any kind of management or administration degree is going to be the way to go. I just replied to a thread in this forum called "Help Deciding a Major" that will have some info for you.

There's a saying that goes something like, "a good police officer would make a poor firefighter and a good firefighter would make a poor police officer." If I were you, I'd try to visit a few fire stations (call first! and bring ice cream or something) and spend some time talking to the firefighters there. Forums are good but being exposed to this stuff in person would give you a much better idea of how things work. Same goes for the law enforcement side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Srvhs1 View Post
    I am stuck between two careers... I am thinking of doing firefighting and being a police officer. I want to get a BA degree tho because I know it will help with promotions. I have been researching on police forums and have read to stay away from a CJ degree since you will be taught everything In the academy. And for firefighting, I have read about doing a public admin BA which could help in being a chief way later down in my career. With this in consideration, I am making myself think long term with getting promotions and want to get the most out of which ever career I choose. I am thinking I don't want to do a BA in fire or CJ, since the acadmies teach you this anyways. So is there a degree I could get that is broad enough for both careers that could potentially let me get pretty far up In the ranks in firefighting or police?
    You and I are in the same boat. I am going for CJ, however, what type of law enforcement are you looking into? Are you looking at the government level? I know FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. are looking for degrees in finance, accounting, business, etc. That is because they will train you. However, if you are sitting in a classroom bored out of your mind because your studying something you have no interest in that's no fun either. Local law enforcement, the CJ degree doesn't mean a whole lot (from what I have been told), they just want a degree. I spent a day at my local academy and there was a former philosophy professor from a major college attending. People will have all types of backgrounds.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Forum Member

great information from everyone

Thread Information