Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Canforgen: Canadian Reserves Civil Employment

Canada is catching up with this too. 'Bout time! {even though I am full time active service} Presented in its orginial message format.

R 311337Z MAR 09
    FM NDHQ CMP OTTAWA
    TO CANFORGEN
    BT
    UNCLAS CANFORGEN 057/09 CMP 025/09
    SUBJ: RESERVE FORCE JOB REINSTATEMENT AND STUDENT LOAN ABATEMENT
    BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
    REF: CMP INSTRUCTION 05/09 RESERVE FORCE JOB REINSTATEMENT AND
    STUDENT LOAN ABATEMENT LEGISLATION
    1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO ANNOUNCE THE APPROVAL AND
    IMPLEMENTATION OF CMP INSTRUCTION 05/09 RESERVE FORCE (RES F) JOB
    REINSTATEMENT AND STUDENT LOAN ABATEMENT LEGISLATION. THE
    INSTRUCTION CONTAINS AN OVERVIEW AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED SO AS TO HELP MEMBERS OF THE RES F EXERCISE THEIR RELATED RIGHTS
    2. REINSTATEMENT. FEDERAL AND PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENTS HAVE PASSED
    LEGISLATION TO PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF RESERVISTS TO RETURN TO THEIR CIVILAIN EMPLOYMENT AFTER AN ABSENCE BROUGHT ABOUT BY THEIR
    PARTICIPATION IN CERTAIN MILITARY ACTIVITIES. REINSTATEMENT IS THE
    PROCESS BY WHICH A MEMBER OF THE RESERVE FORCE IS REESTABLISHED IN HIS OR HER FORMER CIVILIAN POSITION FOLLOWING A PERIOD OF RESERVE FORCE SERVICE. IN GENERAL, THESE LAWS APPLY WHEN THE RESERVIST IS PARTICIPATING IN OR TRAINING FOR DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS. THE FEDERAL LEGISLATION ALSO APPLIES TO PARTICIPATION IN ANNUAL TRAINING
    3. STUDENT LOAN ABATEMENTS. THE FEDERAL LEGISLATION ADDITIONALLY
    PROVIDES FINANCIAL PROTECTION TO RESERVISTS WHO ARE FULL-TIME
    STUDENTS AND WHO WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE TO BEGIN PAYMENT OF STUDENT LOANS BECAUSE OF THEIR DEPLOYMENT. MEMBERS WHO ARE ELIGIBLE FULL-TIME STUDENTS WILL NOT BE CHARGED INTEREST ON THEIR FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN OR BEGIN REPAYMENT OF IT WHILE THEY ARE ON DEPLOYMENT. MEMBERS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS BENEFIT IF THEY HAVE A FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN THAT THEY HAVE NOT YET STARTED TO REPAY
    4. THE MEMBER MUST COMPLETE THE ON-LINE APPLICATION FORM, PRINT AND SIGN IT, AND INCLUDE A COPY OF THE TASKING/POSTING MESSAGE. FOR FURTHER DETAILS, AN APPLICATION FORM, OR ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, VISIT CANLEARN.CA
    HTP://WWW.CANLEARN.CA/ENG/POSTSEC/FAQ/RES.SHTML
    5. ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSES INVOLVING COMMANDING OFFICERS. THE
    COMMANDING OFFICERS ARE: A. TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE FEDERAL AND PROVINCIAL RE-INSTATEMENT LEGISLATION GOVERNING CIVILIAN EMPLOYERS IN THEIR AREA.
    B. TO FORWARD A LETTER TO THE CIVILIAN EMPLOYER CONFIRMING THE
    SELECTION OF THE MEMBER FOR DEPLOYMENT. THE LETTER WILL PROVIDE THE START DATE OF THE TRAINING/DEPLOYMENT, THE ANTICIPATED
    RETURN-TO-WORK DATE, AND IT SHALL INCLUDE A COPY OF THE TASKING
    MESSAGE. A TEMPLATE IS INCLUDED IN THE CMP INSTRUCTION 05/09
    C. THEY SHOULD ENCOURAGE THE MEMBER TO PROACTIVELY DISCUSS THE
    MATTER WITH THE AUTHORITIES OF THE MEMBER S CIVILIAN WORK OR
    POST-SECONDARY LEARNING ESTABLISHMENT
    6. ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS INVOLVING THE MEMBER:
    A. SHOULD DISCUSS THE OPERATIONAL DEPLOYMENT WITH HIS/HER EMPLOYER OR POST-SECONDARY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
    B. MUST PROVIDE INITIAL NOTIFICATION TO THE EMPLOYER/SCHOOL AND
    PREPARING A RELATED REQUEST UNDER THE CANADA STUDENT LOANS PROGRAM AND MAILING THE REQUEST, AND
    C. MUST ENSURE THAT THE EMPLOYER/SCHOOL IS NOTIFIED OF ANY CHANGES TO THE DEPLOYMENT DATES OR THE MEMBERS STATUS. THE CO WILL ASSIST AS NECESSARY
    7. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

I agree it's about time. It doesn't really affect me though either. It's good to know that our reservists will be able to go do what they train for and not have to worry about getting shafted back home by an employer or university.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Brother, that is a great start but awful short on detail. Our USERRA law is 69 pages in the Federal Register, and it is mostly toothless. Plenty of employers are still finding ways to fire reservists for their military service, especially those who are not protected by a union at their civilian job. It's disgusting and despicable-and the most common employer sued for such actions is the federal government itself, for breaking their own rules.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Gunny, I agree with you that this document does seem rather thin. Mostly that would be on account of the fact that this announcement is being made through military channels, from our Chief of Military Personnel, Major-General Semianiw, and is only an outline of what the actual policy "should read". I have not done a search through public law to verify how the policy is actually written. Not really sure I want to even attempt to go there......

The real point of the original message, I think, is to announce to the Reservists that they now have a method of recourse and a way to address civil employment problems while on or preparing for deployed operations.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information