Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Default How is your area spending Stimulus funds?

OK, this moronic stimulus package is getting uglier by the day. Talk about a total waste and inappropriate spending!!!

In our little burg, we are getting a bus type trolley car at a cost of $750,000. Given that the area is economically depressed and summer last about 3 months, it's a total waste and someones pet project. But it gets worse. There is an old railroad bed that is being converted to a paved trail for walking and biking. They are spending $1,000,000 to pave a 3 mile stretch of this trail, which about 100 people out of 50,000 actually use.

Just wondering what goofy projects you are seeing that waste money in your areas?

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    OK, this moronic stimulus package is getting uglier by the day. Talk about a total waste and inappropriate spending!!!

In our little burg, we are getting a bus type trolley car at a cost of $750,000. Given that the area is economically depressed and summer last about 3 months, it's a total waste and someones pet project. But it gets worse. There is an old railroad bed that is being converted to a paved trail for walking and biking. They are spending $1,000,000 to pave a 3 mile stretch of this trail, which about 100 people out of 50,000 actually use.

Just wondering what goofy projects you are seeing that waste money in your areas?
    For the past 4 years we have converted railroad bed into bike trails. I thought the same thing but now they are all connected and actually pretty nice. You can travel from city to city now using the bike trails. Quite a network system of trails in my area of Wisconsin.

Not a bad waste of money at all. It brought in several millions of dollars last year in tourism.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I don't know all of them, but here's a few "goofy projects" that I've heard about for us so far........

Infrastructure upgrades to our downtown business area.

A new public safety building to replace our cramped, mold infested one.

A flyover bridge into our underdeveloped industrial park (that's supposed to fully open the door to more development of that site).

I think the PD is getting some desperately needed patrol cars and other equipment, but I can't remember if that money was specifically from the stimulus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    For the past 4 years we have converted railroad bed into bike trails. I thought the same thing but now they are all connected and actually pretty nice. You can travel from city to city now using the bike trails. Quite a network system of trails in my area of Wisconsin.

Not a bad waste of money at all. It brought in several millions of dollars last year in tourism.
    I don't have a problem with the trail, but in tough economic times there are better ways to spend the money. This is also a relatively rural area. The section they are building goes through fields and woodlands. How about erecting a building for the homeless with little rooms in them instead of putting them in the Super 8.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

Nice idea and neat (though typically little used) when complete. But how do these goofy greenies blow so much money building wide sidewalks? You can install 6" reinf concrete slabs at $5/ft2. 6' wide thats $30'/running ft. Call it $150k/mi and then add some for cost of replacing a few culverts. Granding is already done and if bridges are gone forget about the project. Where does the other $5m go? My guess is booze and drugs for these rejects from the 1960s (under lifestyle maintenance/project management and environment review).

Forum Member

I'm using my $13.00 "pay increase from reduced taxes" to buy gasoline for my truck to drive into work.I can halfway fill a 13 gallon fuel tank with that.Whoo hoo! Watch that economy boom,y'all!
    My Congresscritter Steve Cohen is bringing in 500 construction jobs for upgrades to government buildings.Wonder how long those jobs will last and how many follow on jobs will result to keep people employed and spending money after the work is done?

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I'm using my $13.00 "pay increase from reduced taxes" to buy gasoline for my truck to drive into work.I can halfway fill a 13 gallon fuel tank with that.Whoo hoo! Watch that economy boom,y'all!
    My Congresscritter Steve Cohen is bringing in 500 construction jobs for upgrades to government buildings.Wonder how long those jobs will last and how many follow on jobs will result to keep people employed and spending money after the work is done?
    Doug, might be wise to rid yourself of that gas-gobbling truck of yours; perhaps a small energy conserving car? One that gets better gas mileage? I"m sure you'd def save on your gas consumption.

The jobs will most likely benefit at least short term; the local economy will undoubtedly benefit from having 500 more people working; local restaurants, Deli's, and other locally oriented food/convienience shops will notice an increase in their business and perhaps increase their staffing. And it gets them off the unemployment lines and gives them some shred of hope that they actually have a chance to make a go at it and that in itself you can't put a dollar value on. So lets all hope that something positive comes from this.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I got a laughable $6 per week. Wall Street got trillions. I can't even fill up my non-gas guzzling car with that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gamewell35 View Post
    Doug, might be wise to rid yourself of that gas-gobbling truck of yours; perhaps a small energy conserving car? One that gets better gas mileage? I"m sure you'd def save on your gas consumption.
    Yes, Doug you will conform and smile about it. If your stuff doesn't fit in your new goremobile you don't need it. No questions please.

ecoleftism. Junk the servicable vehicle you own, borrow from Banker Obama to buy a POS crackerbox you don't want and which doesn't perform. Plug it in where it will be recharged by electric current that will magically arrive (no Coal/Gas/Nuc may be used, only wind, solar, and little bunny farts). Batteries for your new toy will magically appear but no industrial hazardous materials may be used in the production and no planning may be performed for disposal (soon) of same. And support the UAW.

Posted by neiowa
    Where does the other $5m go?
    Additional farm subsidies?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Where does the other $5m go?
    Wall Street
    CEOs
    ACORN

It's all about trickle down.

Thread Information