Thread: Haz-Mat Drill

Forum Member

Default Haz-Mat Drill

I am doing my depts Haz-Mat drill this summer and I was looking for a good place to get some ideas. Any help would be good. I want to do a scenario based evolution. I have our local waste hauler contact & would like to get them involved somehow as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Need more info...

What kind of chemical(s) are you considering

Mutual aid availability

Location and logistics of safety and evaluaters

Equipment and manpower participating in the drill

Etc. etc. etc.

Start with a hypothetical event and work the problem based on what a typical response would be and write it down. Takes some imagination and get some other people in the boat with you for sure. You'll want a time line on how things should proceed and the consequences if they don't. Follow up with a good critique. I have seen boiler plate drills but they really have to be modified heavily to compare to what would realistically happen in your response area but they could be used as a guidleline to get your won together. I'll see if I can find the one's I'm thinking about.

Be safe, R2

Forum Member

We have a business that does different types of plating-possible hydrocloric acid spill/leak- or a different chemical that they work with. For M/A I was looking at our ambulance service, township first reponders, local Haz-Mat team, sheriff dept and waste management co. My dept has about 30 guys and about 10-15 with the other services. I want a crew to id the problem, one to remove vics, decon etc.
    Also does anyone have something that shows how to make a ladder into a decon shower? We have a 75' ladder that would be used.

Forum Member

What are the overall capabilities of your team? Entry> Decon? Rescue? Leak fix?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also does anyone have something that shows how to make a ladder into a decon shower? We have a 75' ladder that would be used.[/QUOTE]

http://www.hasbrouck-heights.com/hhf...n/decon3.shtml

Forum Member

We just do the operations part-decon, scene control, evac., etc. (no entry) just support the regional team. Also, Bryan5871 can I get any more info on how this is set-up? Do you have handlines (how many) on the ladder & do you use the nozzle on the tip too?

Forum Member

we once were told we were going to burn a house but while they were getting everything ready somebody called a truck on fire into the fire station so the training officer and the captain took the quick attack to check it out anyway to make a long story short it was an old u-haul truck that had poison placards and a smoke machine in the back so they pulled a line then pretended that they had went down so they called for the engine tanker and hazmat truck but as far as they knew it was a real call till they found out they contaiminated the crew of their trucks when they pulled up on scene. then they started over and done it the right way but all in all it was a good drill they didn't even let the rescue in on it so they were just as surprised here are some pictures from it: http://ellistonfd.smugmug.com/galler...70556842_53fRc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan5871 View Post
    Also does anyone have something that shows how to make a ladder into a decon shower? We have a 75' ladder that would be used.

http://www.hasbrouck-heights.com/hhf...n/decon3.shtml[/QUOTE]

That is a pretty good description of it. When we have done this method, we just used the ladder pipe with a jumbo fog.

There is also the option of placing two engines side by side and putting fog nozzles on the discharges. Works well too.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtb722 View Post
    we once were told we were going to burn a house but while they were getting everything ready somebody called a truck on fire into the fire station so the training officer and the captain took the quick attack to check it out anyway to make a long story short it was an old u-haul truck that had poison placards and a smoke machine in the back so they pulled a line then pretended that they had went down so they called for the engine tanker and hazmat truck but as far as they knew it was a real call till they found out they contaiminated the crew of their trucks when they pulled up on scene. then they started over and done it the right way but all in all it was a good drill they didn't even let the rescue in on it so they were just as surprised here are some pictures from it: http://ellistonfd.smugmug.com/galler...70556842_53fRc
    Punctuation and capitalization will get you far in life.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information