MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default First Female CO Of A Major Warship

Although I have never sailed with Cdr Kurtz, after having sailed with several female officers in the past, I knew it would only be a matter of time for one of them. As with all members of the Officer Corps, you can almost always tell when one will "fly free" to become a Commanding Officer or higher. Congratulations Commander. Fair winds and following seas!

Woman first to command major Canadian warship

The Ottawa CitizenApril 7, 2009

OTTAWA — The first woman to command a major Canadian warship took control of the frigate HMCS Halifax in a special change of command ceremony in Halifax, Tuesday morning.

Commander Josée Kurtz is a University of Ottawa graduate from Joliette, Que., who has served 21 years in the navy. She becomes the 11th commanding officer of the Halifax-based guided missile frigate. The ship has a crew of about 220.

“I am extremely proud to assume command of Halifax. The ship has an excellent reputation within the fleet and I look forward to maintaining the close ties that have been established with its namesake city and homeport,” Kurtz said in a statement announcing her appointment released by the Canadian Forces. “I also look forward to leading a strong ship’s company in the tasks and the missions that lie ahead.”

Kurtz, who joined the Canadian Forces in 1988, has also served aboard the vessels Nipigon, Ville de Quebec and Protecteur and as weapons officer and combat officer aboard Halifax’s sister ship, HMCS Vancouver.

Kurtz holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Ottawa and a Masters in Defence Studies from the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston. She is also a graduate of the Joint Command and Staff Program at the Canadian Forces College in Toronto. Kurtz lives in Halifax with her husband and daughter.

The first female commanding officer of a Canadian Navy ship was Lt.-Cdr. Marta Mulkins, who took command of a Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel, HMCS Kingston, in July 2003.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

PHOTO CREDIT: Cmdr. Josée Kurtz was named captain of HMCS Halifax Tuesday, becoming the first woman to command a major Canadian warship. She is shown in a photograph taken while serving off the coast of Somalia aboard HMCS Ville de Quebec.Photograph by: Master Cpl. Kevin Paul/ Canadian Forces, The Ottawa Citizen
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 04-08-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Thread Information