Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing on the IFSTA book

Sup guys im taking the exam for the Town of Palm Beach this coming Monday and I just found out it was on a different textbook than we used for my fire class which ended last May(so im a little rusty anyways). Ive been trying to review my fire material lately but my medic midterm is coming up and ive been really focusing on that but this weekend im reviewing the entire fire course.

We used Jones and Bartlett in my fire class and the exam im taking is on the IFSTA textbook. Ive managed to obtain the IFSTA Study Guide workbook but am not sure if this is going to be enough for this exam. Ive looked over alot of the questions and some of this stuff seems brand new to me or the terms are a little different. Has anyone ever tested off IFSTA before? Is it usually straight out of the workbook? Any other online material that would be useful?

thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn that test was tough. It said it was out of the IFSTA workbook and I studied that book hardcore for 3 days learning every single question and didnt end up seeing a single one of them on the test. Oh well I just ordered a few books off amazon that will hopefully help me with my next written exam.

You can file a complaint and have the test thrown out, maybe.

If you are trained by one manual and then tested on another one, then that isn't valid.

Why don't they test on the same book or use the IFSTA manuals to begin with.

Everything in my dept is based on the IFSTA manual(s) or other books EMS, HAZ MAT, etc, and the students know this and on day one they are told that all tests, exams will come from the manuals used by the academy. Even the state certification exams are based on the same manuals.

As we tell them probies, It came right out of the book!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If you are trained by one manual and then tested on another one, then that isn't valid.

Why don't they test on the same book or use the IFSTA manuals to begin with.
    Sounds like maybe he is testing for this department but got his training somewhere else prior to going through the hiring process for this department.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Three textbooks are allowed to be used for a fire academy in Florida:
    Jones and Bartlett
    Ifsta
    Delmar
    Each academy will choose a textbook.
    When you test for employment it can be from any textbook they choose.

Forum Member

Hey, something that might help next time is picking up the IFSTA CD Rom study guide. It might be a little easier than pounding through a book, especially if time is short.

Default Testing on the IFSTA book

Great information and add more information about that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nozzleman560 View Post
    Hey, something that might help next time is picking up the IFSTA CD Rom study guide. It might be a little easier than pounding through a book, especially if time is short.
    The cd rom study guide is just add on's to everything in the book, if you're in desperate need of help with the ifsta book, go on itunes, theres an audio book that contains a lot more information then the cd, basically an entire review

Forum Member

You must have taken the FL state certification exam after your academy, right? If you passed that, I don't see why you would have trouble with any test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    The cd rom study guide is just add on's to everything in the book, if you're in desperate need of help with the ifsta book, go on itunes, theres an audio book that contains a lot more information then the cd, basically an entire review
    is there a name for that audiobook on itunes. I looked for an ifsta audiobook on itunes and cannout find anything Thanks in advance sorry for the thread jack lol

Thread Information