Forum Member

Default Pierce Hawk Wildland

We are looking around at urban interface engines. a pierce dealer quoted for us a hawk wildland. Anybody have experiences, good and bad, and what you customized?

Forum Member

Haven't tried the Hawk.I've played with the Rosenbauer Timberwolf and it's a pretty nimble rig.Quite a lot of space for the size of the rig. T.C.

Forum Member

Tell me about the timberwolf on another thread i will create

Forum Member

Default Wildland/Urban Interface Apparatus

Check out this West Coast builder:

www.placerfire.net

They have some interesting apparatus ideas for units like a Hawk

Good Luck!!

Forum Member

If you are looking at interface rigs i would also look at Master Body. If you are looking for a great interface rig i would try and piggy back onto Cal Fires bid for a model 34. Pierce, Rosenbauer, Placer Fire, and Master Body would be your ticket. You also might want to try S&S as well. Our department has two Model 34s. One is a OES state rig made by Rosenbauer and the other model 34 is the department's which is a Pierce. The Pierce has better fit and finish as well as components which is to be expected since it was not purchased off of the state bid. Both are very capable rigs. If you want CAFS Pierce will not put it on the model 34 but Placer Fire will for you. My former department has a Pierce Hawk and in my opinion is not as capable a rig as a model 34 is. But if you are looking for a minimum 1,000 GPM pump as well as an auxiliary 120+GPM pump for mobile pumping then the Hawk would be the product for you from Pierce. All of the model 34's come with a 500 GPM PTO pump and a similar auxiliary pump. I don't know what you are expecting from this rig but if you want a true Type II Interface rig look at the Smeals that Riverside County Fire (CalFire) runs. Probably one of the best spec'd rigs i have seen in this category.

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by 2ivswo View Post
    If you are looking at interface rigs i would also look at Master Body. If you are looking for a great interface rig i would try and piggy back onto Cal Fires bid for a model 34. Pierce, Rosenbauer, Placer Fire, and Master Body would be your ticket. You also might want to try S&S as well. Our department has two Model 34s. One is a OES state rig made by Rosenbauer and the other model 34 is the department's which is a Pierce. The Pierce has better fit and finish as well as components which is to be expected since it was not purchased off of the state bid. Both are very capable rigs. If you want CAFS Pierce will not put it on the model 34 but Placer Fire will for you. My former department has a Pierce Hawk and in my opinion is not as capable a rig as a model 34 is. But if you are looking for a minimum 1,000 GPM pump as well as an auxiliary 120+GPM pump for mobile pumping then the Hawk would be the product for you from Pierce. All of the model 34's come with a 500 GPM PTO pump and a similar auxiliary pump. I don't know what you are expecting from this rig but if you want a true Type II Interface rig look at the Smeals that Riverside County Fire (CalFire) runs. Probably one of the best spec'd rigs i have seen in this category.
    Is S&S still around. Nothing has been done on their site since last September.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reliance View Post
    Is S&S still around. Nothing has been done on their site since last September.
    According to a thread some months age, S & S has closed up.

Forum Member

I missed that post about S&S, that is too bad. Another manufacturer you might want to try is Boise Mobile Equipment. They build a lot of stuff for the feds. They have some unique stuff as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Urban Interface Engine

Thanks 2ivswo for your kind words about the Smeal Riverside County MF (Multi-Functional) Engines.

As the Smeal dealer who originally worked with RCFD in the design of the MF Engine it is really a Type I Engine and there probably over a 100 of them in service in RCFD as well as a number of FD's in CA and some other states who "tagged" on to this order over the past 5 years +.

The objective for RCFD was to incorporate the features of a Type I, II & III Engine into one apparatus and have all the operational performance for use in Urban or Wildland situations.

Forum Member

what we are looking for is a type 2 international 4x4 chassis.

Forum Member

Safetek how many meetings with engineering did they have before it hit production? It is unbelievable what they are able to carry on those Smeals. That project must of been exciting since it is so unique in regards to what the end user wanted. DRAKECROSSING HiTech is another manufacturer you might want to look into for a Type II. They build a lot for various departments here in California.

Forum Member

Default Type 2?

When you say a Type 2, what do you mean? Ladders are the hardest thing to fit on a Type 2 when using a Navistar 4-door 4x4...what kind of ladder complement are you looking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Riverside MF Engines

Quote Originally Posted by 2ivswo View Post
    Safetek how many meetings with engineering did they have before it hit production? It is unbelievable what they are able to carry on those Smeals. That project must of been exciting since it is so unique in regards to what the end user wanted. DRAKECROSSING HiTech is another manufacturer you might want to look into for a Type II. They build a lot for various departments here in California.
    Well it didn't take a lot of meetings overall actually and the idea originated when I sold them their first 75 ft. Quint and after the delivery of it and then a 2nd one their apparatus committee asked me about the idea of combining a Type I, II & III in ONE apparatus for their huge response area from Urban (city) Responses-MVA's EMS, Structural Fire to a Wildland Interface call anywhere in the County or anywhere in CA as they are a part of Calfire.

The parameters were:
    Shortest Overall Length Possible (First/Second Generator was a SMFD Cab and then went to a MFD Cab with seating for 4 and we selected the Spartan Sierra (Metrostar) chassis with a 160" WB and OAL of 26'
    22 Deg Angle of Approach & Departure for off road conditions
    1500 GPM Pump Waterous Single Stage
    500 Gal Water Tank & 30 Gal Foam Cell
    Pump & Roll using Separate Waterous Diesel Engine 300 GPM w/Foam Capability
    Foam Pro
    Deck Gun
    Booster Reel
    Protection Line
    Front Bumper Trashline
    2 Crosslays
    Maximum Compartmentation For Storage Of ALL Equipment Carried on I, II & III (consisting of EMS, Structural, Wildland/Brush and Amkus HRT)
    Ladder Complement 35, 24, 14 & 10
    Hose Load-1000' x 4" LDH, 1000' x 2-1/2", 1000' x 1-3/4" and 1000' x 1" Forestry

SO.. I/We (Smeal) took the challenge and the deal was they would send a container with ALL their equipment to Smeal along with a FD rep who laid out the location of the equipment for us to mount and "it better fit or else" AND it DID!!!

So when it was all said and done I came up with name MF (Multi-Functional) and it's been a huge success with many other FD's in CA doing Tag Ons or derivatives of the design to suit their needs and Smeal has also done variations on Commercial Chassis's as well as Type II's

Special Thanks must go to Battalion Chief John Winder and Apparatus Chief Charlie Delong who were fantastic to work with on this exciting project..

As well Smeal developed a new TDA (Tiller) for Riverside County as well and has taken delivery of 5 Smeal 100 ft TDAs.

"You Don't Have To Be One Of The Big Guys To Build Great Trucks"...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wldlnduiguy View Post
    When you say a Type 2, what do you mean? Ladders are the hardest thing to fit on a Type 2 when using a Navistar 4-door 4x4...what kind of ladder complement are you looking for?
    We were looking at a ladder rack. This way the ladders can be easily accessed and stored out of the way. I figure that the will hang over the rear even when almost touching the cab. The other option is in the bed or through the tank. I realize that we will not get an awesome turning radius, but we want 750 gallons, so the body will be lengthened anyway.

Take a look at this. Seems to fit the best, but they have shorter ladders on there than a 24 extension.
    http://www.smeal.com/deliveryphotos....electedphoto=2

Forum Member

Default Type 2 with a Hydraulic Ladder Rack

Drakescrossing:

You might be surprised at how short you can get something on a 4-door 4x4 Navistar with a hydraulic ladder rack. Here is a link to a design that is very close to what you are describing:

http://placerfire.net/show_low_fire_department.html

The above units have almost 650 gallons of water on them and only a 179" wheelbase.

Take a look at everything you can get in a very small package.

Forum Member

Thats what i am talking about. Maybe a bit more compartment space, but the wheel base might not need to change. We would lose departure angle, though.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a Timberwolf with the ladder rack, 630 water and 20 foam. The water tank can be larger. It's from Grand Lake, Colorado and they have a matched pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Drakescrossing:

Actually, you won't lose any departure angle even if you extend the wheelbase to get more water....there is more compartment space than you think on those units...almost 150 cubic feet, plus the lowest center of gravity/hosebed and crosslays available on the market.

Forum Member

Why aren't any of these wildland trucks named the ______ "Spotted owl", _______ "Springsnail", __________"Ground beetle" for some endangered critter? Need an tough guy name to sell it.

If you can get away from the koolaid look at the E-One Mini-extreme (MPX).
    http://e-one.com/products.htm?lineID=1&typeID=14&id=26

Forum Member

Stuff looks and sounds awesome. Right now the interface is taking back burner until AFG comes out. Now i am working on ISO for november.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by wldlnduiguy View Post
    Check out this West Coast builder:

www.placerfire.net

They have some interesting apparatus ideas for units like a Hawk

Good Luck!!
    Good luck is right, showed up at the neighbors took the shop a month to get it in service. no loom wrap on the wires, lots of almost close work.

Forum Member

getasupply:

Which department are you referring to?

Thread Information