MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medic School/Cert Really push to top of hiring list?

I was introduced to the fire service through EMS. I am currently and EMT, and found very quickly to live off an EMT's pay you need to be on with a full time fire dept as a FF as well. Made it to Chief's interview once, wasn't selected...and want to be a medic one day anyway. Thinking about going to Medic school now to help get on with a paid dept as full time FF/Medic. Does it really put you at the "Top of the list?"

Forum Member

Not really the top of the list, but maybe a shorter list. It opens more job opps. It's up to you whether you make the cut or not.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

MembersZone Subscriber

It will increase your odds. Some depts are only hiring medics at the moment. At my dept, medics get extra education points on promotional exams. Don't go to medic school just for an easy "in", make sure you have comparable interest for both sides. If you are hired as a firemedic, and promotional exams give weight to education, you can do a medic-RN bridge program at excelsior college online, and knock out a quick assosciates degree.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure this has been said before in other threads like this, but please don't become a paramedic just to get hired. Become a paramedic, because you want to become a paramedic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Clarification

Thanks for the input, to clarify I am in love with EMS (yes i'm new), and am applying to medic school because I would be thrilled to be a civilian medic, however being a medic on a paid dept appears to have more stability, advancement options etc.

Forum Member

As a medic you will be able to take more tests in more areas. You could be required to also have an academy or other requirements.

For every regular firefighter/EMT job there are up to 800 candidates chasing it. For every Fire/Medic job there are up to 20. Which odds do you like best?

There is one thing more difficult than becoming a firefighter. That's becoming a new firefighter and new medic at the same time. Get some savvy medic street time if possible before you're hired.

You still need to learn how to take a firefighter interview which is like no other.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ahruban View Post
    Thanks for the input, to clarify I am in love with EMS (yes i'm new), and am applying to medic school because I would be thrilled to be a civilian medic, however being a medic on a paid dept appears to have more stability, advancement options etc.
    I said pretty much the same thing a while back. I was a basic, and chose medic school over an RN as it would pay off quicker, as I have a family to support. The excelsior RN program will always be around, anyway. I thought about FDNY for a while, but I decided that NY is going down the tubes, is not a good place to raise a family, and is unneccesarily expensive. A co-worker for my dept went to Va, and told me how great it was down here. Once you're hired, you have to complete the training, just like everyone else, without any further preferential treatment. Municipal third service EMS don't generally have comparable working conditions or benefits compared to combo Fire/EMS systems.

Thread Information