Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Roll-up Door Specifications

When specifying a piece of apparatus with rollup doors, make sure to study who manufactures the doors, where they come from and how they are made. A lot of fire apparatus builders donít mention that you have options on door manufactures. I have seen a lot of our competitorís doors out there that are using aluminum that is softer alloy and thinner wall thicknesses. If you want doors with color, watch out for companies wet painting doors. Powder coat finishes are about the only way to assure a door that rolls up onto itself will last. You have to really watch decaling a painted aluminum door as well. Several of the door companies are using plastic seals in place of rubber. Some of the door companyís doors seals donít even touch the door.

Dover Roller Shutter is a US company built in Ohio using US materials and is surviving this tough economy, which is a lot to say for a company these days. We use the toughest of aluminum alloys. Our aluminum slat wall thickness is also the thickest in the industry. All of our fasteners are all stainless steel as well as our hardware, such as our lift bar. We powder coat finish if requested and use rubber seals on our doors

If you have Dover doors on your trucks, compare them to the trucks you have that are not. I encourage you to do a simple push test on a Dover door and compared to any out there. You will feel the difference with just a slight push. Aluminum can door verses a truck door. Why put a light duty door on a heavy duty truck? You decide, if you agree, let me know. I will send you door specifications.

I am writing this because I am a sales person that has been in the business for almost twenty years. I am afraid that due to poor quality of some of the doors out there, the roll-up door business is getting a black eye. I know if you specify the right doors for your trucks you will be happy with them. Donít let the apparatus builder tell you they canít get Dover doors or they cost more.
    ------
    Unbelievable, while I was writing this post I received a phone call from a customer that is dealing with the poor quality of one of our competitors doors. He was asking how to assure he can get our doors in the future.

Forum Member

Default Wow !! Are you kidding me ???

In my department, roll up doors got a bad name until we got some rigs w/ ROM and Goretite doors. The rigs that have doors from a certain unnamed manufacturer have been difficult to open from day one and the compartments get filthy wereas the doors on the newer rigs glide open and the backside of the doors and compartments stay much cleaner. Buy some ad space where this can't be done:

http://www.romcorp.com/

http://www.gortitedoors.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoverUSA
    If you want doors with color, watch out for companies wet painting doors. Powder coat finishes are about the only way to assure a door that rolls up onto itself will last.
    We powder coat finish if requested.......
    If powder coating is the best of the best, and your portraying yourself as the best of the best, then powder coating should be standard. :-)

Unbelievable, while I was writing this post I received a phone call from a customer that is dealing with the poor quality of one of our competitors doors. He was asking how to assure he can get our doors in the future.
    That IS unbelievable.

I hate unsolicited salesmen.

Forum Member

We use ROM rollups.For a reason.Let's just say we may NOT be in agreement with the original poster.If YOUR customer WANTS Dover,ask them if they know what a "spec" is. And we've been using rollups for a while now. I do recommend you do your homework though. T.C.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I didn't write this original post to bash any other companies directly. I was just asking all who might be specifying roll-up doors to study before you buy. I am just concerned, being a twenty year person in the fire industry, that we are being fooled with a name and not the quality.

Dover, being the oldest door companies in the business, has the earliest roll-up doors out there. When it comes to dirt or water, due to the poor sealing of roll-up doors, manufactures supply a drip pan to catch the water and dirt that is mounted under the roller. The early Dover products did not have these pans and probably did not need them. As with todayís doors, Dover doors work a lot stuffer because they are sealed a lot heavier. If you have rubber up and down both sides and across the top of a door, you get drag. I would think that would be a good sign that a door is sealed well. A lot of the doors out there I see have vinyl seals and the top seal does not touch the door.

All I ask is for those out there to do the research. See is the seals are plastic or rubber, if they touch the door, and if you need a catch pan with the particular door specified. Drip pans do require more compartment loss, as well as, add an additional expense.

Also, that call I took during the original post was from a company that does service fire apparatus on the East Coast. He was telling me how one of our competitors slat seals were falling out because they were plastic.

Dover does powder coats as ďa standardĒ if color is required. As with most companies these days, we build what is requested. As with finishes, do some studying, there is a reason your washer and dryer drums are powder coated and not painted. I really prefer a Brushed Anodized finishes. They look the best and hold up longer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoverUSA View Post
    When specifying a piece of apparatus with rollup doors, make sure to study who manufactures the doors, where they come from and how they are made. A lot of fire apparatus builders donít mention that you have options on door manufactures. I have seen a lot of our competitorís doors out there that are using aluminum that is softer alloy and thinner wall thicknesses. If you want doors with color, watch out for companies wet painting doors. Powder coat finishes are about the only way to assure a door that rolls up onto itself will last. You have to really watch decaling a painted aluminum door as well. Several of the door companies are using plastic seals in place of rubber. Some of the door companyís doors seals donít even touch the door.

Dover Roller Shutter is a US company built in Ohio using US materials and is surviving this tough economy, which is a lot to say for a company these days. We use the toughest of aluminum alloys. Our aluminum slat wall thickness is also the thickest in the industry. All of our fasteners are all stainless steel as well as our hardware, such as our lift bar. We powder coat finish if requested and use rubber seals on our doors

If you have Dover doors on your trucks, compare them to the trucks you have that are not. I encourage you to do a simple push test on a Dover door and compared to any out there. You will feel the difference with just a slight push. Aluminum can door verses a truck door. Why put a light duty door on a heavy duty truck? You decide, if you agree, let me know. I will send you door specifications.

I am writing this because I am a sales person that has been in the business for almost twenty years. I am afraid that due to poor quality of some of the doors out there, the roll-up door business is getting a black eye. I know if you specify the right doors for your trucks you will be happy with them. Donít let the apparatus builder tell you they canít get Dover doors or they cost more.
    ------

i would recommend you review the TOS that you agreed to when creating your account. If you want to advertise you can pay like the rest.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Mr. DoverUSA, I respectfully request that you delete your post, as it violates the terms of service of Firehouse.com forums in regards to unsolicited, unapproved, and/or inappropriate advertising. Here in the Engineering and Apparatus threads, we are all smart enough to explore the various options available to us. If we need to know more about a specific product, we are all intelligent enough to contact the appropriate manufacturer's representatives for guidance.

For more information on the terms of service, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click on "terms of service" located within the black tool bar.

Thank You.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Which would also bring up the question of why MOST builders spec something else by choice.Maybe the "standard" grade ISN'T the GOOD one? T.C.

Forum Member

I believe that Gortite doors have a lifetime warranty on all mechanical parts of the door. I think these are the doors that Pierce uses as their "standard" roll-up door.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by njfirefighter01 View Post
    I believe that Gortite doors have a lifetime warranty on all mechanical parts of the door. I think these are the doors that Pierce uses as their "standard" roll-up door.

A good enough reason to look for something else?

We have ROM which seem to do very well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Advertising

While Mr. Dover is certainly not in compliance with the forum protocols, we have had two years of forum member's blatant advertising of Metz aerials without to much resistance from the forum members, so this not be to harsh on him because we have been allowing a double standard. He just needs to be educated.
    Donethat

Forum Member

Methinks that already happened. T.C.

Forum Member

Call me ignorant or just plain ol stupid, but I live less than an hour from Upper Sandusky, OH and have never heard of this company.

Not saying they dont make a good product, just saying I've never heard of them.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by njfirefighter01 View Post
    In talks we have had recently with Pierce about a new engine I had asked about Dover roll up doors.

A department near me had these doors on their Pierce and they were powder coated, and they matched the enamel truck finish perfectly. The dealer informed me that the engine was painted to match the doors, not the doors to match the truck as only limited colors of powder coat are available.

I had inquired because powder coating is more durable than an enamel paint. I was informed that Pierce no longer offers Dover doors because of quality issues encountered after the Dover company had changed management, I think due to company sale.

While I like powder coating I have yet to be shown ( and I have looked ) for an example of an enamel painted roll up door chipping due to it being rolled up on itself. The door never touches itself while rolled. Paint damage has come from incidents that would scratch any door.

If anyone has experiences that contradict my statements, please let me know. We have not yet decided if we should paint the rollup doors on our future engine.
    Last edited by DFDMAXX; 04-22-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Forum Member

pierce's standard roll up door is made by goretite.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Before Pierce was using Gortite, they were using Dover doors. In fact, the Dover doors on our Pierce rescue is the reason that we're specing ROM on our new engine.

Now someone refresh my memory, didn't the original Dover USA company go bankrupt a few years ago, and the new Dover is a reincarnation of the name? And don't forget that Dover existed across the pond way before they did in the US.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Before Pierce was using Gortite, they were using Dover doors. In fact, the Dover doors on our Pierce rescue is the reason that we're specing ROM on our new engine.

Now someone refresh my memory, didn't the original Dover USA company go bankrupt a few years ago, and the new Dover is a reincarnation of the name? And don't forget that Dover existed across the pond way before they did in the US.
    While picking up from a grass fire today, I noticed that the roll up door under the hosebed for our booster reel compartment on our 1995 Pierce engine is a Dover door. According to the nameplate, they were still across the Atlantic at the time.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

We have some older Pierce trucks that have Dover doors and they work well. I was told that shipping cost were to high to get doors from Dover because they were overseas. If Dover is now in Ohio, can I still get through Pierce? My Pierce dealer tells me they went out of business. I am confused. Dover doors seem to be a lot stronger then doors I see on Pierce trucks now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Call me ignorant or just plain ol stupid, but I live less than an hour from Upper Sandusky, OH and have never heard of this company.

Not saying they dont make a good product, just saying I've never heard of them.
    Ignorant..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Ignorant..........

Thats not the worst I've ever been called................especially by YOU!?!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Why not go Dover

A friend of mine works for department in Mansfield Ohio. I guess Thursday they had an accident with a truck and a door was damaged. I am not sure of the whole story but they called Dover in Upper Sandusky. Dover called guys in on Friday when they were closed for the holiday. They had the door repaired by noon that day.

I wanted to update this thread. I work for a department in North Central Ohio. I guess Dover is still arround. Nice to see Ohio companies willing to make the extra effort in these hard times.

Forum Member

I bought a Marion squad in 1997 with anodized ROM doors. They have been pretty much maintenance free except for a few of the magnetic switches in the handle latch assembly for the compartment lights and door open indicators. They were very easy to replace and were minimal in cost.

In 2000 I bought a Pierce 105' ladder with anodized Dover doors. Although the slats are beefy, the compartment sealing is crap. Everthing in all the compartments need to be cleaned every couple days. The mounting plates for the roller assembly are rusting badly and it looks like these doors will be replaced before retiring this truck.

In 2007 I bought a Pierce Arrow XT HDRP pumper with Gortite powder coated doors. They work flawlessly. The powder coat match is exact with the body. Compartments seal as well as hinged doors and keep all the equipment dry and dust free.

When I ordered the engine, I was told Dover was no longer a vendor for them and that if we had to have them, they would back them up as well as they can but could not guarantee cooperation with Dover for the sealing issues.

Our problems are not uncommon. Everyone I talked to in the Chicago are with Dover doors had the same issues and were happy that Pierce made Gortite their standard roll up. Pierce did say we could use any manufacturer of doors but in their tests, experience and relationship, we would be very happy with the Gortite product. We are. Not an advertisement, just our experiences.

Forum Member

I do want to make a couple of comments regarding the last posters statements.

He was comparing a nine year old truck to a two year old truck. Some issues with that. It would be interesting to see those doors in seven more years. Dover was the sole roll-up door supplier for Pierce from about 1995 to mid 2005. Their new supplier has been supplying their doors for the past four years. If you were to call one of their service centers you might be surprised who they actually buy more replacement parts from. A ten years of old doors vs. four years of newer doors? When I asked my Chicago and Maryland contacts that question this week, they jboth just laughed and said he could not comment.

I guess the second point would be that most all truck builders are using drip pans under their roll-up doors. Something that wasn't being done in 2000 or before.

Like I mentioned before. I am not out to bash any of our competitors. I just asked those of you interested, to do your studing. I have been in the fire and door industry for eighteen years now. I have seen a lot of doors on trucks.

I am glad the last poster did confirm the Dover's doors as "beefier".

Forum Member

OK Mr. Dover USA, as I posted, this is my experience only and I am not supporting any particular product. Yes, the Dover slats are beefier. The insides of the slats are very corroded due to the poor sealing. I give a rat's *** what other people buy or expound on but I will give an honest review of any product I have purchased. Due to the variety of complaints we had with our Dovers, I understand why Pierce and others moved the product line from "recommended" to "not recommended". I looked at the Dover line at FDIC this year and I cannot find any changes in the model that we are using. It may be that our environment with layers of salt on the road in the winter are eating them up and they may do quite well in another area.

I really don't care what people buy. Get what you want. But if someone asks for product experience, I will give it and then it's up to them to decide on the direction they go.

Don't take these reviews as a personal attack. "It's not personal, it's strickly business"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Don't be to disturbed by the previous poster. Note, his profile is all about drinking. I will stick by my USA Ohio companies. I hear SMEAL is looking to Dover for OEM doors. Way to go Smeal!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information