Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Exclamation 2009 AFG PG Posted

    Opens on tax day.

    Good luck and happy granting.

    - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Wahooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    275

    Default

    i will believe it when i see it, obama probably needs it to bail somebody out!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    790

    Default

    Merry Christams, oh wait that comes after you get the award isn't it. I have all of my grants ready to roll with just minor adjustments, but I can still count the number I submit on my fingers, no where hear as agressive as most of you gurus.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    So are they going to have a burst of activity in the next 3 weeks to hand out the balance of 2008 $?

  6. #6
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Who knows about the 2008, I know of at least 5 that have had no decision on their 2008s yet. No DJ, no 1199A. Tough to plan 2009 with that, all even contacted DHS and same comment: no comment.

    There are a couple of major ones in there, won't comment on one of them until later.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    59

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Opens on tax day.

    Good luck and happy granting.

    - Brian
    Brian,

    This article was published today in Fire Chief...It says no aerials will be approved in 2009 AFG and also all applications will be required to be sent in via mail???

    At presstime, a spokesperson for fema and the USFA confirmed that publication of deadlines, criteria and procedures for the new FIRE Act grant program was imminent.

    Vicki Murphy, a fire grant consultant for FEMA and USFA, said that the details of the program were scheduled to be published in the Federal Register in mid- or late March, although some of the forms that need to be completed for the grant program are available now.

    Murphy also confirmed reports that FEMA and USFA won't be able to accept Web-based applications for the grants. She said that a decision had been made not to offer the capability of filing grant applications over the Internet. Murphy added that the grant administration office would post the application form on the program's Web site for download.

    In addition, Murphy confirmed another report that aerial apparatus will not be eligible for fire grant funds because of the expense involved. She said that FEMA and the USFA want to help more fire departments with the limited resources available, so the agencies opted not to allow fire departments to apply for funding for aerial apparatus.
    Murphy also refuted reports that EMS equipment and apparatus would not be eligible for the grant program. “If EMS is part of a fire department's mission,” she said, “then EMS equipment and apparatus would be eligible” under the “firefighting vehicles and firefighting equipment categories.”

    For additional information, contact the grant program administration office toll-free at 866-274-0960, fax: 866-274-1942, <usfagrants@fema.gov>. Additional information is also available on the USFA's Web site at <www.usfa.fema.gov>. Interested fire departments and individuals can sign up for an automatic notification e-mail list.

    Grant forms available online
    Three of the forms fire departments seeking funding under the usfa's new grant program need are now available online, according to the National Volunteer Fire Council.

    The forms must be submitted with a department's grant application. The forms and their Internet addresses are:

    Form SF 424: ;
    Form SF LLL: or ; and
    Form SF 270: Two additional forms from FEMA (forms 2020 and 2016) were not yet available online at the time of publication. Monitor the FEMA Web site at for those forms. The formal application was expected to be posted on by the end of March.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    So, the 15th open date is the prize inside the Easter Egg.

  9. #9
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Well, I guess since the real document says they're eligible someone didn't have their story straight.

    SF-424 is used for all grant programs that are paperbased, mainly USDA for construction projects. SF-LLL is the one that is electronically certified at the end of the AFG app, the no lobbying one. AFG is one of the few that require it.

    I wish there was a 'shaking head' graphic to post in my message, and over a beer I'll tell some of you why this article doesn't surprise me...

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Well, I guess since the real document says they're eligible someone didn't have their story straight.

    SF-424 is used for all grant programs that are paperbased, mainly USDA for construction projects. SF-LLL is the one that is electronically certified at the end of the AFG app, the no lobbying one. AFG is one of the few that require it.

    I wish there was a 'shaking head' graphic to post in my message, and over a beer I'll tell some of you why this article doesn't surprise me...
    So should I not waste my time on aerial or did someone not have their story straight???????????

  11. #11
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    The Program Guidance is considered law no matter what anyone says, me, a DHS rep, or anyone. Everything goes back to the guidelines and aerials are a Priority 1 for Suburban and Urban communities, and 75' and shorter quints are P1 for Rural, rest are P2.

    So they are eligible, and methinks that someone writing could not have heard Miss Murphy clearly or decided on their own interpretation of what she said. I can see her saying aerials may not be a LIKELY award, after all what was it only 46 in 2008 awards over $300k in fed share? Out of 640 awards? Yeah long shot but not as long as ineligible. Not sure I'd put too much stock in whoever wrote that article as knowing what they were doing either, anyone that's been around the program knows what they claim she said makes no sense.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    The Program Guidance is considered law no matter what anyone says, me, a DHS rep, or anyone. Everything goes back to the guidelines and aerials are a Priority 1 for Suburban and Urban communities, and 75' and shorter quints are P1 for Rural, rest are P2.

    So they are eligible, and methinks that someone writing could not have heard Miss Murphy clearly or decided on their own interpretation of what she said. I can see her saying aerials may not be a LIKELY award, after all what was it only 46 in 2008 awards over $300k in fed share? Out of 640 awards? Yeah long shot but not as long as ineligible. Not sure I'd put too much stock in whoever wrote that article as knowing what they were doing either, anyone that's been around the program knows what they claim she said makes no sense.
    I concur just wanted a second opinion...I have getting grants since 2005 and this was the first I have ever heard someone associated with the program state what they did.

  13. #13
    Forum Member bjlffire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Ne Missouri
    Posts
    342

    Default

    WHOO there, Only mailed in applications, no online internet apps.

    No Way

    In the 21st century we go back in time to the start!

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    308

    Default

    is this officially posted anywhere, or is it just heresay about the non electronic applications?

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    633

    Default More Misinformation

    Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire View Post
    WHOO there, Only mailed in applications, no online internet apps.

    No Way

    In the 21st century we go back in time to the start!
    Electronic applications are the preferred method of application.

    Paper applications are available for those who do not have internet access

    Page 44 & 45 of the Guidance
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

    IACOJ 2003

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire View Post
    WHOO there, Only mailed in applications, no online internet apps.

    No Way

    In the 21st century we go back in time to the start!
    What a bunch of hooey! The Federal Paperwork Reduction Act mandates that it be available through electronic form or did someone rescind a Federa law that is the entire basis for the creation of the Grants.gov website?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

    "Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Who knows about the 2008, I know of at least 5 that have had no decision on their 2008s yet. No DJ, no 1199A. Tough to plan 2009 with that, all even contacted DHS and same comment: no comment. ...
    Include us in that list of ?????. No DJ, no questions/1199. No response to email requesting status of app.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    lurking
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super64 View Post
    Brian,

    This article was published today in Fire Chief...It says no aerials will be approved in 2009 AFG and also all applications will be required to be sent in via mail???

    Vicki Murphy, a fire grant consultant for FEMA and USFA, said that the details of the program were scheduled to be published in the Federal Register in mid- or late March, although some of the forms that need to be completed for the grant program are available now.

    Murphy also confirmed reports that FEMA and USFA won't be able to accept Web-based applications for the grants. She said that a decision had been made not to offer the capability of filing grant applications over the Internet. Murphy added that the grant administration office would post the application form on the program's Web site for download.
    I found this article on Fire Chief it is dated April 1, 2001. When you click on the link today's date appears at the top, and that's what's causing the confusion. The first year of the AFG applications were mailed in on paper, from 2002 on it's been an electronic process. Ms. Murphy wasn't wrong, just wrong for the 2009 AFG.
    Electronic applicants get the benefit of computer feedback, if you leave out important info (or type conflicting info), the computer lets you know before you can proceed. Paper applicants don't have this feedback, so the online application is the best way to apply.
    Last edited by shesinsane; 04-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.

  19. #19
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    FYI, I contacted Miss Murphy. Ends up that Interview was done in 2001, so obviously WAY old information and she wasn't even contacted for this. Was it really in the newest Fire Chief Magazine? Talk about accuracy in reporting...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Round 9 has been posted
    By 7Stones in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
  2. Keep us posted....
    By AFD2181 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
  3. Don't think I ever posted this....
    By SteveDude in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
  4. sorry; posted twice..
    By p74vic in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2002, 08:36 PM
  5. Not sure if anyone else posted this... (MUST SEE)
    By Will24 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2002, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts