Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New Rigs

Forum Member

Default New Rigs

I didn't want to hijack the New Engine thread so I made up my own thread for our new engine.

Long story short, it was ordered well over 2 years ago from ALF and we just got it Friday.

Specs and more pics to come after the weekend....... as well as the numerous problems with the rig (many are ALF's fault and some are our fault for specing it the way we did)

Brief rundown as I am running out the door:

6 man cab
    1500 pump
    1000 tank
    hyd ladder rack
    hyd reels x 2
    Class A/B foam
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Nice looking truck. Looking forward to the specs

Forum Member

first ya sass me then post the pics I SENT YOU !!!!!!!!! Son of a .................Happy Easter.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    first ya sass me then post the pics I SENT YOU !!!!!!!!! Son of a .................Happy Easter.
    He got a (modern) ALF.....there really is no further need to harass or insult him, enough damage has been done on his own and by his department.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Smile New ALF Apparatus

Your department has a nice looking engine there, I just hope that ALF/LTI stays in business so you can get warranty work done if needed. Good luck with your new apparatus !!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    He got a (modern) ALF.....there really is no further need to harass or insult him, enough damage has been done on his own and by his department.
    Hey hey hey! I'm just a lowly piker (our fancy term for probie)..... I just wanted to show off our new truck.....and trust me, not a single person on our department wanted an ALF in the first place and no one wants it now. But since its new..... I figured what the hell, I'll post pics and maybe it won't be a half bad truck?!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Nice looking rig.Best of luck with it. I posted this earlier but the Postal police musta misplaced it. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was that a hale pressure relief valve and a mechanincal verneer throttle???

Or is the pump governed in some way?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Hey hey hey! I'm just a lowly piker (our fancy term for probie)..... I just wanted to show off our new truck.....and trust me, not a single person on our department wanted an ALF in the first place and no one wants it now. But since its new..... I figured what the hell, I'll post pics and maybe it won't be a half bad truck?!
    FYI: Trucks have a ladder or a platform on top
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Default Old School

Was that a hale pressure relief valve and a mechanincal verneer throttle???

Or is the pump governed in some way?
    No you have it all wrong that engine has a Silver 6V71 with an HT 740 so it is up to date.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

And what's wrong with a 71(in any denomination)and a 740? Probably stay running longer than anything you're driving today. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Old School

And what's wrong with a 71(in any denomination)and a 740? Probably stay running longer than anything you're driving today.
    What's wrong with them, one word.

NOTHING!

They had power they were reliable and easy to fix.

As far as I am concerned the only advantage to the new electronic engines is the governor system. The electronics shouldn't be relied upon. It's like relying on a TIC for overhaul, I was always pull cielings until you see good clean studs. I think the best way to control an engine is mechanical. You don't have to worry about shorts or water in connectors, just twist that little black knob.

I understand emissions for buses and highway trucks but emergency vehicles should be exempt 100%.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    And what's wrong with a 71(in any denomination)and a 740? Probably stay running longer than anything you're driving today. T.C.
    damn 2-cycle mechanical *********s!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    What's wrong with them, one word.

NOTHING!

They had power they were reliable and easy to fix.

I understand emissions for buses and highway trucks but emergency vehicles should be exempt 100%.
    It would be nice, except that no engine manufacturer can cost-justify running a separate line just for engines for exempted vehicles. The production volume just isn't there. So we have to learn how to best deal with what we have.

I remember quite well when electronic engines first started appearing in highway engines in the late '80s and early 90s. We were all deathly afraid of them for reliability. Time and technological development soon proved us wrong. We quickly learned (and are still learning) just how much power and improved performance could be gotten when each firing of each cylinder each time is individually optimized.

It blows my mind to think of how those of us who drove 300 Maxidynes and NTC 350s thought we were king of the hill. Now there are L blocks and even a few C blocks that will leave us in the dust, never mind the M block engines.

Every advance in technology allows us to think differently; every advance requires us to think differently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Actually, a 71 would have been coupled to an MT643, would it not? Even some of the 6V92s went with the MT643 until they maxed the torque.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    It would be nice, except that no engine manufacturer can cost-justify running a separate line just for engines for exempted vehicles. The production volume just isn't there. So we have to learn how to best deal with what we have.
    I think you will find most of the old over-the-road engines still being produced for the marine market where the new emissions standards are not in effect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Actually, a 71 would have been coupled to an MT643, would it not? Even some of the 6V92s went with the MT643 until they maxed the torque.
    Our 1978 Hahn had a 671T mated to an HT740......

Forum Member

Tune 'em up,twist them up(cam)and fuel 'em up. Engage starter,place in D,mash fuel pedal. NOTHING before or after had such a satisfying feeling. A properly tuned Detroit in the hands of a good driver would move a lot of freight a lot of miles. T.C.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Was " ALF " the low bid on your new engine, if so can you give us the price tag. When your department was at the ALF plant, did they see many apparatus on the production line being built. I do not see to many departments in my area ordering a new apparatus from ALF/LTI at this time. Hey, RFRDxplorer don't worry about the name plate or emblem on the engines grill, just as long as the apparatus get's the job done is most important to the firefighters & public!!
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 04-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Detroit 6-71, 8-71 Engines

It is amazing how time heals all wounds. While I have always been a two cycle Detroit fan for fire truck use, many mechanics and operators bad mouthed the Detriots for years for leaking all over the firehouse bay floors. It was always easy to tell what engine was in the rig without ever lifting the engine cover by the amount of oil on the floor.

While I would have never used a -71 two cycle for over the road use, for a cold start, out the door under full power in 10 secounds fire rig it was the way to go!

Forum Member

If they DIDN'T leak,you better panic. Meant they were out of oil or about to "blow".The real bad leakers needed blower seals. T.C.

Forum Member

we used to call the "drip-troits".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default top mount

obvious you like the top mount design, from what i understand it makes the overall apparatus longer, I like the idea of being up off the ground with a good view and not out in street where some DUI can clip you. Dont see a lot op top mounts produced, anyine care to comment.

Forum Member

Default Topmounts

My dept took delivery of an enclosed topmount 2 years ago. I've operated the pump on a few fires and I can say it's extrememly nice to be able to watch what is going on while staying out of the elements and away from the idiot drivers while operating on busy roads.

Forum Member

Talking

We have two top mounts.
    Much safer for the engineer and I'd rather stand up off the ground instead of in a frozen puddle of snow & ice or standing out in traffic to operate. instead of reaching in over hoses coming off discharges you are on solid stable platform and add in the height to allow a better view of the scene and you have a winning solution.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information