MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone Here familiar with the DOD FD at USMA?

I am very interested in working at The West Point Fire Department in New York State (DoD). Just curious if anyone knows the schedule they run on, the equipment they use and whether or not they accept National Registry EMT. I understand that this is a federal Job but because it is in New York State I get worried that they will get all "New york Ego" on me and not accept the NREMT like the rest of the civillian New york state does.

Any input is much appreciated thank you all for your time.

Permanently Removed

Yo New York- I bet you will get some love here- DoD Fire.com

Forum Member

It is a Federal Firefighter's (Dept of Defense) position, as a result, most hires are required to have DoD Certs- for firefighting, these would be IFSAC/Pro-Board Fire Certs such as I and II, Driver/Operator Pump and Aerial (and in some cases ARFF) Fire Inspector I, Fire Officer I, just as a minimum.

As far as EMS goes, most Federal Installations require local level certification, so yes, you probably must meet NY State requirements.

You are also required to have a clean criminal background (and if required to maintain a security clearance at some but not all installations, your criminal background must be as clean and white as untouched virgin snow..they WILL find out....) be free of drugs, and be of sound moral character.

Most (but not all) Federal Installations work some variant of the 24 on, 24 off schedule. Some work 48 on, and 72 off.

Federal Positions are very, very hard to come by right now. Many positions (especially Navy) are being eliminated. As a result, many senior guys who have time in are sucking up any available slots at other posts. These guys have seniority over new hires, and if their position is in jeopardy, they will get the job over you.

If you do not have DoD equivalent certs, I would not even bother, unless the job is being posted as a GS4 "Trainee" position; which is an extremely rare on the East Coast.

Some other placed to learn more:
    -Here on FH.com forums, down in the military/federal FF thread
    -www.dodfire.com
    -www.usajobs.com
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Spoookfest View Post
    I understand that this is a federal Job but because it is in New York State I get worried that they will get all "New york Ego" on me and not accept the NREMT like the rest of the civillian New york state does.
    Take the state test!

Duh
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

they work a lot! I met a guy from there as I am not that far from there. They work like 1 on 2 off, and its all by the book. The pay is not good either. I think they were just looking for guys too.

Forum Member

IIRC, NREMT is the only form of EMS certification accepted by the federal government.

I could be wrong.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    IIRC, NREMT is the only form of EMS certification accepted by the federal government.

I could be wrong.
    I believe you are!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I believe you are!
    Fair enough!!!

I can swear I read that somewhere but it also wouldnt be the first time I swore I read something but cant find it later. haha
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Just took a class from a DoD guy at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri.

List pay is 32k a year, but that is for the grade pay not actual worked hours.

He said after figuring in the overtime pay it actually starts around 47k a year.

The schedule was 72 hours a week of work. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and so on and so forth, after 2 weeks you get 3 days off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MOFIRE View Post
    Just took a class from a DoD guy at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri.

List pay is 32k a year, but that is for the grade pay not actual worked hours.

He said after figuring in the overtime pay it actually starts around 47k a year.

The schedule was 72 hours a week of work. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and so on and so forth, after 2 weeks you get 3 days off.
    But at what pay rate? Not all DoD Firefighters get paid the same. The more time in you have, in addition to your level of training will bag you more pay. Plus there are different "locality pay adjustments." I am sure the "local" pay for For Ft Leonard Wood in Mo. is way lower than the local pay for West Point, which is located in the NYC Metro Region.

And again, not all DoD installations work the same schedule.

Forum Member

He said that the bare minimum requirements will get you 47k a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MOFIRE View Post
    He said that the bare minimum requirements will get you 47k a year.
    For what position?

-Firefighter Trainee (GS3 or 4)

-Firefighter (GS5)

-Firefighter Driver/Operator and/or Crew Chief (GS6)

-Supervisory Firefighter (GS7)

Forum Member

I seem to recall him saying GS5.

He also said people with past military experience earn "extra" points.

And those with purple hearts and other awards, Earn TONS of extra points.
    I only know this because one of my co workers has a purple heart and was pretty much told that he would have the job if he wanted it.

The guy we spoke with said that Ft. Wood would be hiring 12 people this next year.

Forum Member

Honorably discharged veterans do receive hiring preference, as long as they meet the hiring criteria- for example, for a GS5 Firefighter position, a vet who has zero firefighting experience (and thus no DoD required certifications) will lose out over a non-vet having the requisite DoD Certs (IFSAC/Pro Board Fire I, Fire II, Driver/Operator Pump/Aerial and sometimes ARFF, EMT-B, Fire Inspector I, etc etc etc........)

Have never heard of purple heart veterans receiving any kind of preference. I can't even begin to think what he may have been referring to. Any awards you may have received will be noted in your file and count towards your character as a person.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spoookfest View Post
    I am very interested in working at The West Point Fire Department in New York State (DoD). Just curious if anyone knows the schedule they run on, the equipment they use and whether or not they accept National Registry EMT. I understand that this is a federal Job but because it is in New York State I get worried that they will get all "New york Ego" on me and not accept the NREMT like the rest of the civillian New york state does.

Any input is much appreciated thank you all for your time.
    Three houses, 4 Engines, 1 Truck, 2 Tankers, 2 Brush, a Rescue, and 14 guys on total for a shift. They also are registered as a Haz-Mat/Rescue team with the state....but they rarely if ever 'go to work' for a real incident. They are in what is know as Battalion 4.....which is run by Vollies, but they have no say in operations at West Point...its more about mutual aid and resource getting.....Orange County is all vollie except for City of Newburgh, Middletown, Air Guard, and West Point...

Structural work is extremely rare, maybe one every 5 or so years maybe longer. EMS runs, Stuck elevators, alarm activations....etc. They have large mountain fires though......they are by the book, not much of a good schedule, pay isn't great, and you are not guaranteed to still be there after the 'season'...in other words....job security is there either.

Fill out the Federal employment application, look on USJobs.gov ( I think that is the sight) and look for the listing for Federale Firefighter.....go from there. The more schools/job skills you have the more points you get in the hiring process. Good luck....I wouldn't want to work there.....to keep your options open...look at Castle Point/Montross VA FD....they're Federales too.

BTW....what is "New York Ego"???
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

New York Ego = our pizza and bagels are better than yours.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have never heard of purple heart veterans receiving any kind of preference. I can't even begin to think what he may have been referring to. Any awards you may have received will be noted in your file and count towards your character as a person.
    5 point vet vs 10 point.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

If you are are a Purple Heart recipient you are AUTOMATICALLY classified as a disabled vet by the VA with a 30% disability and are set for life with them. Also, you gain 10 total points vise the standard 5 because a member with the Purple Heart has given more then a member without one....hands down....no arguments. (If anyone would like to dispute me on that...feel free to PM me...and stand the "F" by....). I know quite a few guys who have been wounded in firefights and IEDs that have gone on to become cops/fireman based on this.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    If you are are a Purple Heart recipient you are AUTOMATICALLY classified as a disabled vet by the VA with a 30% disability and are set for life with them. Also, you gain 10 total points vise the standard 5 because a member with the Purple Heart has given more then a member without one....hands down....no arguments. (If anyone would like to dispute me on that...feel free to PM me...and stand the "F" by....). I know quite a few guys who have been wounded in firefights and IEDs that have gone on to become cops/fireman based on this.
    Ok, I knew Vets got the 10, but never knew about wounded vets, my own ignorance, pardon me. I have no reason to doubt you, my pet monkey JTFIRE80 wouldn't dare lie to me. By the way pet monkey rumor has it that the brand spanking new Seagrave has a blemish on it already......comment?

Thread Information