Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions

Default Opinions

I recently applied to my local vfd and need some input;

I am 16 and a soph in high school. Obviously this means I cannot drive, so I was wondering if having my parents drive would be any issue. Also, where do you all keep your gear? Like if I were to respond to a call from. Home, would I have to go to the station, gear up And than go, or should I have it with me?

Thanks all.

Forum Member

OK 'Compelled' here is what we have done with our sixteen year old junior firefighters. They have received new wildland PPE's and some have structural PPE's. If a page or siren goes off they go to the station and wait for an of age member to respond with. We do let them drive apparatus during training sessions if they have another member with them. As far as equipment. All structual PPE's stay at the station. Wildland PPE's can be left at the station or taken with them.

They are some of our most active and capable Firefighters with full voting rights. They are looked upon with respect by the department and the town. They are now, veterans for a small department.

Quote Originally Posted by compelled View Post
    I recently applied to my local vfd and need some input;

I am 16 and a soph in high school. Obviously this means I cannot drive, so I was wondering if having my parents drive would be any issue. Also, where do you all keep your gear? Like if I were to respond to a call from. Home, would I have to go to the station, gear up And than go, or should I have it with me?

Thanks all.
    I will respond to this post rather than the other one. In the future please only post one thread.

It all depends on your station's SOPs/SOGs. I joined when i was 16 (am 20 now) and was issued gear and a pager and told to come down whenever I was available. We keep our gear at the station, but again, that is TOTALLY dependent on how your department runs.

And yes, until about 4 months after i joined i had to drive up with a parent, that was the restriction on my license. Being a member does not allow you to break any state laws when it comes to driving, or anything else for that matter. Obey all traffic laws when and if you respond.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will learn rather quickly of a thing called chain of command, You need to speak with your officer to whom you report and find out what THEY want you to do. No one on this forum can answer for your dept's rules or policies. Don't start off on the wrong foot.
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know how it is with your department, but in ours you have to be 18, have and maintain a valid driver's license, and have no more than 6 points on your license at any time and also have to provide proof of insurance on your vehicle. Also when you join you must have a reliable mode of transportation. Sophmore in High school eh? Sounds like you better stick to the junior program for a little while.

Thread Information