Forum Member

Default Can I spec a truck with hose?

Am I allowed to sepc a truck to include LDH on a grant or would I have to apply for the hose seprately?

Forum Member

You can include a reasonable request for equipment in your vehicle application if it is adequately justified in the narrative and listed in your budget.

Forum Member

wouldn't that affect your cost benefit? You might run the risk of getting kicked by the computer and never have a set eyes read your narrative. Just a though based of a hard personal lesson

Forum Member

is it ok if i just say "fully equipped" to cover hose, tic, appliances, tools, etc?
    or do i have to list these

Forum Member

As hoser pointed out, any additional requests are going to affect your cost benefit scoring. Throwing in "fully equipped" is fairly generalized. Some companies and departments run rescue tools, some run port-a-tanks, etc. which can affect what it means to be fully equipped. If you need that 5" to effectively operate your potential vehicle award, justify it. If you can be happy with a $275,000 award for a vehicle and can find another way to buy a ground ladder, it would probably be best.

MembersZone Subscriber

Per the PG:

Eligible expenditures under this program include the cost of the vehicle and associated equipment necessary to conform to applicable national standards (NFPA 1901 or 1906).
    Check the part of the standard that relates to the type of vehicle you are looking at. It will provide a list and quantities of equipment needed to meet the standard.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The vehicle cost is judged separately from the additional equipment portion if properly entered in the application. The need for the vehicle is judged first, and if competitive the equipment is a considered add-on to ensure that it will be properly equipped when delivered. They do this so people don't cut out equipment that they can't afford to buy thinking keeping the costs down on such a relatively small amount is the best thing to do, then the truck gets delivered and is about useless because there's nothing on it.

Forum Member

So essentially they first decide if we deserve the engine, and then go on to separately decide if they will fund to have it equipped. We would not have $$$ to fully equip the engine because our reserve truck fund would be going toward paying our 15% match we are proposing.

I have a $$$ figure for the equipment going on it, should i state this? And would it need to be line item for above NFPA minimum, such as Fire shelters, TIC, Medic bags, etc. ?

Forum Member

bc79er
    So does that concept apply to the computer scoring as well, the computer can see through your application and can differentiate between cost of vehicle and equiptment in relationshipp to your total request? My concern would be that my narrative wouldn't make it through to a set of human eyes.

Thanks, interesting topic

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Correct, that's why it needs to be entered as an Additional Cost versus just jacking the price of the truck up. Also helps avoid reductions on the truck to the point that the combined price doesn't include the equipment. If it doesn't make Peer it wasn't getting there without the equipment either so might as well get what's needed to ensure if it comes in you can use it the right way. As Sly mentioned the equipment needs to be justified but if you're replacing a 20+ year old truck odds are everything on it is the same age and NFPA 1961 says all hose should go after 10 years, same consideration to nozzles and fittings.

Forum Member

great, thanks for the info, I learned something today. Now i better take a nap as not to overdo it before the start of the application period. Sleep will be very limited over the next month.

Forum Member

this is my first AFG. I did the FP&S earlier this year, so is it like that in the budget area, where the engine will be one budget item, hose will be another item, tic, xxxx,xxxx,xxx, etc.?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There will be a link for Additional Funding in the Project Details section, it will all get listed as one cost in the main section then in the notes section you will detail the items making up the total Equipment request. Also the same place that one would enter a Driver Training class under the Contractiral heading.

Forum Member

oh, ok. Thanks!

Thread Information