Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy Parent Protests Fairfax County Schools' Possession Policy

You're joking, right?

Parent Protests Fairfax County Schools' Possession Policy

Updated 1:15 PM EDT, Tue, Apr 14, 2009

A parent of an expelled South Lakes High student is protesting Fairfax County's zero tolerance for pot.

FAIRFAX, Va. -- A parent of an expelled Herndon High senior is protesting the Fairfax County Public Schools system's policy for possession of marijuana, sources said.

Q: Do you think Fairfax County Schools' possession policy is fair or too rigid?
    The student, who had a 3.5 GPA and had been accepted at George Mason University, was two credits and two months from graduating when he was caught with the pot. Police charged him with possession, sources said, but the school accused him of intent to distribute and barred him from attending regular schools.

He is allowed to attend alternative schools in the county, but his family argues that they don't have the AP classes he needs.

On April 5, Washington Post columnist Marc Fisher wrote about the suicide of a South Lakes High student faced with expulsion. Junior Josh Anderson was found dead on March 19, the morning of his hearing after he'd been caught for the second time in two years.

Possession of marijuana on school grounds is grounds for automatic suspension and recommended expulsion in Fairfax County, Fisher reported.

Is that policy fair or too rigid? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

First Published: Apr 14, 2009 12:14 PM EDT
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 04-14-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Did this come as a surprise to you M-2-7???

Not really a surprise. Considering where this is, I really am not all that surprise. Those folks up in NOVA really have their heads rammed so far up the old wazzo, knowing what day or even if its a sunny day would take a day or two for them to retract and see the real world and if then I am not all that sure.

The poor little chillens, can't have their pot and enjoy it any where they like!!
    The parents are probably users as well!!!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 04-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Did this come as a surprise to you M-2-7???
    Considering some of the other articles that I've read and or posted over the years... sigh... I guess it should not be a surprise of any kind, but it was still a bit of a shock nonetheless.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I understand why some people think it is too harsh. However, him being a senior they have to make an example of him. I am a senior in high school, and there was a trip to Germany where 23 of the 30 kids on the trip got caught drinking. They are all up for expulsion because it was a school trip. All of the students were over the legal drinking age in Germany. They must make an example because being seniors, some students think they can do anything. Bottom line, the school was probably just making an example for the other students.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

yuck it doubled up on me. opps

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterUMT56 View Post
    I understand why some people think it is too harsh. However, him being a senior they have to make an example of him. I am a senior in high school, and there was a trip to Germany where 23 of the 30 kids on the trip got caught drinking. They are all up for expulsion because it was a school trip. All of the students were over the legal drinking age in Germany. They must make an example because being seniors, some students think they can do anything. Bottom line, the school was probably just making an example for the other students.

Say What? An Example???

Hey kid, try getting a job in Philly, Pitts'gh, DC or any other major fire dept and smoke several joints before you are to take the physical and see what happens. Better yet, don't smoke 'em and get the job and maybe 8 months or so into your employment they tell you to report for a drug test and you knocked off several joints the night before while you and your date were doing what ever you all do. You come up dirrty, and you are gone! Fired and no recourse!

I dunno about y'all, but I have always been with the full understanding that "Zero Tollerance" is exactly that. ZERO tolerance, ZERO acceptance. Get caught with that which is listed under the Zero Tolerance Policy, then you better be prepared to accept the consequences. Pretty plain and simple, but then I'm an "Old Guy from the Old School".

Just as a general observation, not necessarily about this story....but zero tolerance policies are usually born out of unnecessary fears and can cause more harm than good.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Naturally, I can't speak for any other school districts beyond those in which I have lived, Fairfax County being one of those. Every school yard has a sign posted somewhere, usually several "somewheres" that read to the effect of:

"This is School is a Drug Free Area." (or something to that nature)

At first I thought it was a given that any school yard should be a drug free area until I got a better sense of where I now lived. Then it made sense in an odd sort of way. I read those signs now as a statement of policy and as an announcement of the sentiment for which the staff and students stand.

Of course, I could be reading more into those signs than what the English actually suggests.

I refuse to let something as silly as pot be grounds for ruining a person's future. We aren't talking about crack cocaine here. The punishment should fit the crime and expulsion is not a fitting punishment for something stupid.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

It's not up to the school to do this. This is a matter for law enforcement and the parents. The schools job is to educate. The school is not there to influence public policy or opinion. How did he disrupt the classes by carrying this stuff? Schools have gone over the edge with these zero tolerance policies.

As for the trip to Germany, they students didn't do anything illegal. Move on. Germany has a progressive view of drinking, hence fewer binge episodes and less alcoholism.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It's not up to the school to do this. This is a matter for law enforcement and the parents. The schools job is to educate. The school is not there to influence public policy or opinion. How did he disrupt the classes by carrying this stuff? Schools have gone over the edge with these zero tolerance policies.
    Ummm.. yes it is. The school can set whatever policy it wants with respect to possession of illegal substances. I agree with zero tolerance for the most part. They can't let that slide.

On the other hand, they shouldn't ruin a kid's life for a first-time offense. Here's a kid with a good GPA, accepted to a good college.. an expulsion means he doesn't graduate, doesn't get into college, and is a pretty significant black mark against any future applications.

I think he has to take responsibility and be accountable for what he's done. Certainly not shirking that.. At the same time I don't know that this warrants such long-term impacts.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

I don't like zero tolerance policies, but I fully support the school expelling him. He had drugs and they had evidence to suspect that he was dealing drugs. This is illegal and detrimental to the school and student body. I think he should be thrown out.

His life isn't ruined and he can still go to college. Maybe it won't be the one he wants, but he can still go. Thats the price he gets to pay for his bad choices.

We are starting to get too soft on drugs. That road only leads to more people using and dealing, and a bigger overall problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I'm against drugs of any kind including tobacco and alcohol. I think both do far more harm than pot. If the govts were actually serious about drugs, these are the first 2 they would ban, but because of tax revenues, will never do it. I don't agree on the expelling or a criminal record for this instance. Everyone makes a mistake and I would dare say there are quite a few members here who have tried pot. Possibly this could have gone to a warning with parental involvment with the proviso that if it happened again, hes history and criminal charges would be laid. If he had been found underage with alcohol, would the penalty have been the same?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well.................

Am I the only one here that thinks this incident would never have happened IF THE PARENTS HAD BEEN DOING THEIR JOB.......

And, This kid now doesn't get to go to an Ivy League School. Big Deal. There are Truck Drivers out there that are Millionaires, and Doctors and Lawyers that are Broke. Formal Education in an Institution of Higher Learning is no guarantee that someone will do well..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Am I the only one here that thinks this incident would never have happened IF THE PARENTS HAD BEEN DOING THEIR JOB.......

And, This kid now doesn't get to go to an Ivy League School. Big Deal. There are Truck Drivers out there that are Millionaires, and Doctors and Lawyers that are Broke. Formal Education in an Institution of Higher Learning is no guarantee that someone will do well..............
    Great points Chief...I would add to that sentiment; that if going to George Mason or other prestigious schools were that important to him, he shouldn't have been messing with pot or anything else that would jeopardize his chances.

Its called real life, make mistakes suffer the consequences and hopefully learn a lesson. With Mom and Dad coming to his aid he is not going to learn his lesson...the only thing he'll learn is that mommy and daddy will protect me...I wish more parents would stop defending their kids when they do these kind of things and let them face the consequences.

Also, as you said if parents did their job in first place he probably would have known better to be involved with pot and would have understood the consequences of his actions.
    EGH-FTM-PTB-DPT

Thumbs up

HAIL! HAIL! HAIL TO THE CHIEF!

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't say I agree with you on this Harve. Too many times the knee jerk reaction is to blame the parents. How many people on here took a drink or got pi**ed before legal drinking age? I would venture to say most. How many took a puff or a lot more before the legal age of buying cigarettes. Are their parents totally responsible. Lets face it, kids will make mistakes and do some stupid things no matter the quality of upbringing. Peer pressure has a lot to do with it, as well as immaturity which is normal in a teenager. If this kid didn't have any prior record, I think a severe warning with parental involvment would be warranted, along with if strike two, your history.

Forum Member

I dont like "0 tolerance" rules. I think most of thim come about because the rich kids walk and the poor kids get both barrels. Which of course if not fair and we all want our kids treated fairly.

So I'm not sure what I want but to ruin a kids whole life for one mistake is a little rough IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by fireflymedic View Post
    I dont like "0 tolerance" rules. I think most of thim come about because the rich kids walk and the poor kids get both barrels. Which of course if not fair and we all want our kids treated fairly.

So I'm not sure what I want but to ruin a kids whole life for one mistake is a little rough IMHO
    WHY don't you like Zero tolerance??

What is your City/County and fire department policy on drugs?

My city and department policy is, you come up dirty or get caught using and you are gone. PERIOD!

We dont' need drugs users in our department.

Thread Information